• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Raven's Cry gets May 7th Release Date

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
This pirate Role Playing Game gets an official release date at last.

ravens-cry.png

For more details, see: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/11/23/pirate-based-yarrrpg-ravens-cry-gets-may-7th-release-date/

Attachments

• ravens-cry.png
    ravens-cry.png
    329.9 KB · Views: 41
Hey look, another pirate game made on the CryEngine!

Is that one CryEngine too? Didn't know that. Haven't exactly been paying attention.
I wonder if their game features include any sailing.

Aye, it mentions ship customization in the article.

wouldn't worry too much bout this'n lads, The maker has made some games that... how do you say? "were diamonds shipped straight to the store from the mines" Two Worlds II was fun for about 4 hours then you realised how incredibly buggy and incomplete it was... it really was a tragedy in my eyes. had so much potential.

I do have one fond memory of this game however:

One time i was in the northernmost city on the largest continent (Which is MASSIVE and Seamless i might add it will take you hours on horseback to get from one end to the other with NO load screens). I was enjoying the lovely scenery and decided to talk to one of the locals. As I approached him I hit the wrong button and instead of engaging in dialog I randomly kicked the poor unsuspecting stranger in the shin. As i tried to apologize guards started appearing seemingly out of nowhere. Realizing i was screwed and couldn't turn myself in to have my bounty removed, I stole the nearest horse and rode south to a small fishing village where I stole a small sailboat and sailed out to the sea. where i arrived on an abandoned beach on another of the continents after 2 days of sailing. Knowing full well that the creatures there were way above my level i stayed on the beach and in the ocean around it for a week to let my bounty go down before making the sail back to the city.

Lesson? Never kick a random guy in the Shin.

But even that game had a sailing mechanic even if it was just for travelling purposes so their no stranger to it and once again let me reiterate how MASSIVE the game world was with no loading screens.

ooooh THIS was the game I was trying to remember. I couldn't remember the name for the life of me, but I could remember seeing a more darker nitty gritty pirate RPG teaser trailer.

Hey look, another pirate game made on the CryEngine!
Where did you find that out? I can't seem to find any references about this.
That said, the name "Raven's CRY" does sound about right, alongside Far CRY and CRYsis. :cheeky

Where did you find that out? I can't seem to find any references about this.
That said, the name "Raven's CRY" does sound about right, alongside Far CRY and CRYsis. :cheeky
There are several places touting it as a CryEngine game, but the development company is best known for using the in house engine called GRACE. Who knows. It looks pretty but if the attention to detail is anything like their screenshots and the gameplay is as bad as the advertisements, it will be a disaster. Seriously, one of the developers had a post about it being realistic, followed by "infinite enemies" and "magic system" in the next paragraph. Makes me wonder...

There are several places touting it as a CryEngine game, but the development company is best known for using the in house engine called GRACE. Who knows. It looks pretty but if the attention to detail is anything like their screenshots and the gameplay is as bad as the advertisements, it will be a disaster. Seriously, one of the developers had a post about it being realistic, followed by "infinite enemies" and "magic system" in the next paragraph. Makes me wonder...

Do you have a source? I'd really love to read/hear this.

As for the ships, I don't know they are detailed but there are still mistakes and even grave historical mistakes (using late 18th century rigging although the depicted time frame is the late 17th century - beginning of the 18th century).

Just send them tons of mails with demands and they will hopefully react. At least they were able to present scabbards, which is a rare occasion, so I won't lose my hopes now :)

There's not a lot of good things to say about the developer and they're showin us pictures of a pirate game that doesn't show any actual sailin' yet. Tha's not a good sign lads

TopWare released a new video:

http://boards.topware.de/showthread...es-you-on-a-journey-back-to-the-rare-ol-times

Besides small inconsistencies (Wrong guitar for the time period and the concertina was not invented before the 1820s, as well a missing holster or an open holster]) the main flaws are again the rigging. Which is bad, really, really bad. I have written TopWare a mail Saturday and it seems that some other users have already criticized this flaw. (I haven't written in the forum about this issue yet).

I ask you now. Where are the hordes of piratesahoy users, which will register and give TopWare the feedback they asked for? There is a small chance to change something but there is not much response. Which saddens me a little bit. Just register and tell them you want period correct ships!

@Knorris:

Thanks for the source, yet this source does not contain anything about "infinite enemies" and a "magic system".

Sorry, been busy around here and haven't had a chance to post much. The 'magic system' is now turned into 'combat abilities':

Magic:
"Utilize special combat abilities like Fear Power and cursed Voodoo Charms to overcome and dominate your foes." from the publisher website: http://www.topware.com/us/ravens-cry.html

From the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raven's_Cry
"Killing enemies makes you accumulate 'Fear' which you can use to scare enemies away or as a super attack. The consequence is that everyone in range becomes hostile if you didn't scare them off.... Pirate charms will let you become invincible, summon ravens to rip enemies to shreds, boost attack speed and damage, and even cast some magic."

Infinite Enemies:
I believe I have inferred the 'infinite enemies' from many of the articles and reviews of the game/developers, but honestly every 'review' or interview makes it seem like an infinite enemy system, especially once it talks about the 'Fear' system that allows the player to scare off enemies by killing a bunch of bad guys and then using it as a combat ability to scare the rest off. Here are some more references:

From http://gamestar.ru/english/ravens_cry_interview_in_english.html
"Player’s will see a lot of blood, a lot of great looking cinematic combos and a great story!"

From http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/06/ravens-crys-lead-is-actually-named-christopher-raven/
"The sinister beauty of the 17th Century Caribbean is revealed in the rolling emerald waves and their secrets, kept far beneath; in the dark alleys and curved, cobbled roads, all teeming with murderous miscreants and loudly drunken braves, the prophets of the bottle, the blade, and the flintlock gun."

From http://www.destructoid.com/raven-s-cry-looks-like-a-proper-pirate-action-game-209439.phtml
"On your path, you'll hack, slash, and shoot your way through an array of environments such as typical Caribbean port towns and Aztec lands."

One of the articles hints that you get to drive the boat at least once. Hopefully that doesn't mean that the sea battles are scripted events only.

I'm looking forward to this. Two Worlds 2 isn't perfect and it has an obnoxious user interface, but its a deep game with a beautiful graphics engine. I'm pretty sure this is just another version of their in-house engine. Not the Cryengine. They appear to be making some other games as well using this engine.

Back