• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

ransoming prisoners

kaizerkat

Freebooter
i have 4 enemy captains in my hull, their ransom price when ask for is always, their reply, they do not have the money. so i cant just sail into enemy port which the instructions say i must do to ransom them in port. so how do i get to ransom them? tried pulling into a bay but that does not work. i guess i would have to sail under a false flag of that nation to do so right? or is there another way to ransom them

If you want to get the entire sum then yes, you would have to take them to their national port which would likely be hostile so you must indeed sneak in through a false flag.

In my case, I had a prisoner which I completely forgot about, been in my hold for months and I already made peace with his nation so I just freely went to his nation port and took the full sum. xD

Last edited:
:pflag
You can visit Nevis pirate settlement and get a good amount with any prisoner ;):razz
:pflag

Last edited:
The best ransom you can get is from the prisoner's own nation, or an ally of that nation. The next best ransom you can get is from a nation which is neutral to the prisoner. So check your international relations table. If the prisoner's nation is hostile to you (very probably, if you've been attacking its ships!), perhaps one of its allies is not, or perhaps there's a nation which is neutral to the prisoner and also doesn't hate you.

If you're playing FreePlay, check the relations table often, or talk to any tavern keeper and ask for news - relations can change randomly.

i changed in internalsettings.h file to ransom prisoners at tavern and can not figure out how to make that happen. i go to tavern and who do i speak with to ransom them?

i changed in internalsettings.h file to ransom prisoners at tavern and can not figure out how to make that happen. i go to tavern and who do i speak with to ransom them?
Pretty sure that's not a dialog option.
Think it must go with the setting to ransom prisoners through the interface, instead of talking to them.

so my new problem is when i go into cargo hold where prisoners are the two prisoners are just standing there and no matter what i do i cant open dialog with the characters, now i have captured other captains and i can open dialog and decide which action i will take, any thoughts?

so my new problem is when i go into cargo hold where prisoners are the two prisoners are just standing there and no matter what i do i cant open dialog with the characters, now i have captured other captains and i can open dialog and decide which action i will take, any thoughts?
Did you already talk to those two?

Off-hand, I can think of two reasons for inactive prisoners:
. You already promised to release them when you get to a port belonging to their nation. They are now waiting until you get there.
. You already said that you were going to ransom or release them. They would normally run to either the ladder or the door to get out of the hold. But both exits may be blocked, either by your own officers or by other prisoners running out. In that case, the prisoners will stay where they are, but if you leave the hold and then return, they should be gone.

If you have captured other captains then you must have gone to sea view to attack other ships, so any prisoners who were stuck because of exits being blocked should not be there when you go back to the hold. That leaves the possibility that you promised to take them to their port. Check the passenger list. The prisoners should still be on the list and it should show their nations. So, for example, if one of them is French, try sailing into a French port under a false French flag.

thats just it, they r in my hold but not on the list. anyway something happened but the good news is the captains i capture after this incident, can be ransomed.. so real quick, in internalsettings i put church for ransom spot and must take them to their home visland, what happens next, do i sail a spain prisoner and go to the church? do i speak with the priest?

At a guess, if the prisoner is Spanish then you should sail to a Spanish port and then go to the church. If the prisoner is not there waiting to be released, I don't know. The priest certainly is not involved, there is nothing in any priest's dialog about prisoners.

ok nix ,only way is on ship for shite coin purse, the port of that captains nation or the pirate settlement, so i do not understand what the choose jungle church tavern etc was meant to be or does, looks good on file though

ok nix ,only way is on ship for shite coin purse, the port of that captains nation or the pirate settlement, so i do not understand what the choose jungle church tavern etc was meant to be or does, looks good on file though
I think those settings only work if "Visit Deck" is OFF.
That's how things used to work before; and then you'd get the ransom buttons in the Passengers Interface.

But now, the idea is that you sail into port under a false flag; and then talk to the prisoner while you're at the anchorage.
You can also ransom at neutral ports/pirate ports/maybe even beaches, but the lower risk option you choose, the less money you get.

Beaches or ports hostile to the prisoner just give you the minimal ransom. Pirate ports give you a bit more; ports neutral or allied to the prisoner's nation do better still; but the biggest ransom is indeed the reward for the biggest risk, sailing into a port of the prisoner's nation under a false flag and hoping the fort doesn't recognise you.

The ransom also increases if you keep the prisoner for longer. But then you run the risk that he'll escape.

Back