• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Ranger-Man, Ranger-Man, does whatever a ranger can -- not!!!

Cerez

Baroness of the High Seas
Storm Modder
Does anyone know what that crazy ranger NPC is for?! His script is massive, yet all the dialogue he says in the game fits into two lines and feels like an easter egg conversation. What's up with that? I've been trying to figure it out for a whole week. This NPC baffles me to no end!

He seems to be missing from any of the prequels or sequels.

I've managed to dig up a little bit on this from tying two and two together in the code. Apparently "rangers" are other pivateers, rival captains you are supposed to compete with in the game -- or at least that was their original purpose. I assume that the included "rumours" were also intended to serve in line with this purpose primarily -- for you to get a scoop on what the other privateers were up to.

Unfortunately, they never got far enough in the development to make this work properly in-game.

This rings a bell, for some reason. Isn't that a feature in CoAS as well?
I seem to remember doing some investigating into it for MK, back in the days.

I'm thinking it may be a feature left over from POTC, and maybe reimplemented in COAS. It looks like they were planning to implement it in CT as well, just didn't get around to it.

PotC doesn't have that feature. :no

Oh, interesting! :eek: So, it seems, development on rival captains began in CT, but ended up eventually being implemented in COAS. I'll have a look at how this works in COAS, and see if it's interesting enough to port back to CT, which should be quite possible. :monkeydance

Well, since nobody has mentioned it, and I have chuckled since day one of this thread, I will be the first to guess at the subject line reference:

Do I get a gold star? ;)

Back