• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Questions About the Game

Horatio nosleN

Landlubber
I'm looking for a good pirate game but have yet to find one that suits my needs. I love that you can play from both overhead view and on the deck, but the on the deck view doesn't look very good (I mean when you're commanding the cannons, not boarding). I'm surprised about that for a game made in the past few years. Since there's no demo, there's no way to "just try it and find out." I'd rather not spend the money only to find that I hate it. Can anyone post videos or screens or anything to help convince me?

As far as "pirate games" go, you can't really do any better than the modded PoTC or CoAS right now. We've been able to exponentially improve the deck views with our most recent models, including Rossiya.

I saw some videos with the crew running around and loading the cannons, are there any that texture them at least halfway decent?

I also can't find a legal download anywhere online. I don't want to get it shipped.

All the sites I know of stopped offering the game as a download. From experience, the crew doesn't take much away from the gameplay. You would have to model new crew members to make them look any better, and that will reduce the game's performance on your computer.

Well since I couldn't buy it anywhere because of piss-poor marketing, I acquired it a different way. But now ingame the music and sound is fuzzy and full of static.

This damn game is doing everything to make me not play it.

You couldn't get it from Amazon? :shrug
Is that the vanilla music? Just plop one of the mods on top and see what happens:onya

This is not a game for the inpatient. A lot of people give up on the game after a couple of hours, because it IS REALLY HARD to begin with.

The rewards are more than worth it if you can get through the first couple of days.

MK

So I fixed the sound problem and have found that I completely understand why people drop this game right when they pick it up. The combat is abysmal. A tiny little sloop can pound my ship while every single god damn one of my cannons seems to be aimed by a blind child. Half the time boarding doesn't work, and when it does, I suffer through the slaughter of my crew to the invincible enemy crew. Nevermind the piss-poor tutorial and the jumping in all directions but forward.

Just be patient. It becomes exponentially more entertaining after you make the jump up to a slightly more powerful vessel. In the mean time, prey on small lone meechantmen, and run like hell from everything else.

Think of yourself as an 8 year old commanding a ship to begin with. Its best to learn swordfighting in caves and with jungle robbers. Its best to gain sailing and trading experience taking on merchant missions or trading goods for a meager profit to begin with. You should spend a day doing these mundane sorts of things before you take on fighting enemy ships.

If you must I recommend luring a pirate into a harbor with a fort. Then the fort can do most of the fighting for you and you can swoop in and take the prize before she sinks. Just a technique.

When you level up significantly you wont have any of the problems you just complained about. It's hard to be a noob in such a tough game. It really doesn't give you any breaks until level 8 to 10. If you're playing on harder difficulties - interpolate headache levels higher/longer.

In the words of Yoda, "Patience...mmmmmmm"

MK

I guess I'll keep at it. Are there new outfits? I'd like I have one of those Tricorne hats.

I am getting the hang of it now. My crew got slaughtered when I was boarded by a British ship and I use the stairs to my advantage so I only fought one at a time.

I started as the Spaniard, how can I not have every damn English ship attack me? Pirates I understand but I can't outrun half these ships and the battles never seem to end if the game refuses to let me board.

How can I add things like the PotC soundtrack and other music to the game? Just drop it in the folder in resources?

I'm looking for a good pirate game but have yet to find one that suits my needs. I love that you can play from both overhead view and on the deck, but the on the deck view doesn't look very good (I mean when you're commanding the cannons, not boarding). I'm surprised about that for a game made in the past few years. Since there's no demo, there's no way to "just try it and find out." I'd rather not spend the money only to find that I hate it. Can anyone post videos or screens or anything to help convince me?
deck yiew is allsome ,once you find out that you can move about the deck ..... point in direction of travel then r/cliick .

I guess I'll keep at it. Are there new outfits? I'd like I have one of those Tricorne hats.

I am getting the hang of it now. My crew got slaughtered when I was boarded by a British ship and I use the stairs to my advantage so I only fought one at a time.

I started as the Spaniard, how can I not have every damn English ship attack me? Pirates I understand but I can't outrun half these ships and the battles never seem to end if the game refuses to let me board.

How can I add things like the PotC soundtrack and other music to the game? Just drop it in the folder in resources?

as a spainard the english hate you to no end and will attack at all costs... so capture thier large,combat worthy....large guns high hull and large crew ships then hunt them, word of warning if you assault and loot a colony or mjor city they send dozens of bounty hunters to all ports of call,and fleets scourer the seas to hunt you,,,,land fights are in citys limits city guards will ignore the fight unless you acciedently shoot them even your officers can cause this so be carefull if you shoot one you done you only have your officers...fighters and they have intire citygarrison,,, so reboot to last save cuz they will wear you down .

Well since I couldn't buy it anywhere because of piss-poor marketing, I acquired it a different way. But now ingame the music and sound is fuzzy and full of static.

This damn game is doing everything to make me not play it.

micro center sells game cheap ,,, and it works most of time so learned to safe alot.

So I fixed the sound problem and have found that I completely understand why people drop this game right when they pick it up. The combat is abysmal. A tiny little sloop can pound my ship while every single god damn one of my cannons seems to be aimed by a blind child. Half the time boarding doesn't work, and when it does, I suffer through the slaughter of my crew to the invincible enemy crew. Nevermind the piss-poor tutorial and the jumping in all directions but forward.

correct on ship screen check crew section notice that they have low skills ,,,,sailing, cannons ,soilders. sail get english ,,,cannon get french,,,, soilder get spainards... so you cant get all at once so sail around ,i look for battles that have allies fighting pirates and let crew get experience firing at enemys.... do not aim salvo any where near an allie your gunners will hit them thier that bad at job,, run around battle and pick up loot fl;oating around and stay away from boarding actions till enemy can be wittled down to a tiny sliver of white crew size bar then board.

Back