• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Guide preventative maintenance

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
This is something I have been telling others to do and forgot to do meself. :urgh

A while back my Open Sea install died completely. I couldn't start a new game or anything, but I didn't delete it. Every few days I would click on it to see if it worked,but it never did.

Sooo today I finally remembered to do a full cleanup, optimization, and defrag. I just tried it and it works again! :mi The lesson is: maintenance maintenance maintenance. :slap

Might as well pin this topic as a constant reminder. A little maintenance goes a long way! :nk

Addendum: The Beta 3 install that had been giving faithful service for months recently died. So I did a complete scan and defrag, and the made a new install. In only 2 days that beta 3 install exploded all over the hard drive and I just had to do another scan and defrag. :8q

It seems a defrag is called for immediately after installing beta 3 and might be the reason so many are having so much trouble.

Interesting notion. The installation process does first extract the contents, then move the files all elsewhere.
It is a lot of file operations, so I could see that somehow causing a lot of fragmentation.

Isn't too much defragmenting causes files to be corrupt? -well according to some IT's

Fragmenting is the process of files getting scattered all over your hard drive, making it respond slower when files have to be read from it because they are in multiple pieces.
De-fragmenting is the opposite: Putting them all back together to speed things up again.

Weekly is normally enough but this time more often was needed. I should have thought of this earlier as when installing a new windoze, which is also a large file, periodic defragging is needed or bad things can happen when installing the updates and accessories.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever been defragging this computer. Not personally anyway.
Strange though; it claims by HD is 0% fragmented. Doing a manual check now. o_O

Yeah..mine too with the drive D..its always 0% fragmented and its where all the PotC files are, along all my other games/music/movies/etc..I just put the most important ones on C..and well, in case I get another formatting with my computer, my good stuffs are always safe on D..hehehe :p

Anyway, I always check for fragments every now and then for defragment using the Smart Defrag -thanks Sir Hylie! :onya & with the Advanced SystemCare Pro too:thumbs1

Hmm... apparently Windows 7 likes to defrag in the background just about all the time.
Could that we what is making it so SLOW at times? Figures.... o_O

Back