• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

(PotC-NH) On Game real ship S&T (strategy & tactics)

Hello mateys,

since my youth, in wich I started my adventure at sea with an old wargame (maybe Avalon Hill? I don't remember well, was in the 80's) I have had a real pleasure to learn about real ship tactics, and now, with PotC-NH, finally I have the chance to employ all infos I have gained in all these years.

Here's my usual battle S&T, for you alls:

1- Encounters may be at various distances, then, as any wise ship captain, I change my stile following what I can see.
At first, I stay at bay, observing with my spyglass, and taken infos about the enemy ship/ships, for get intelligence and prepare a good battle strategy. As real ship commanders, I haven't a lot of time, then I must think quickly and have an idea of what doing;

2- After get intelligence with spyglass, and considered the enemy forces and my chances, I will choose between flee, or accept a fight. Sometimes, fleeing isn't synonimous of cowardice, but intelligence: a sloop can't confront a frigate, or a Hoy haven't a chance against a brigantine, then, flee is the better thing-will be time in the future for give a payback to the hated enemy;

3- if I consider to be sufficient able and powerful for a battle, usually I start lowering my sails, and expecting the enemy until come at range.
They call "battle sails" because they are used in battle time, one can go slower, but turning is more easier, and this is the BIG advantage.
I remember that I have a XVIII century ship, and not the HMS Hood, or a Kriegsmarine battleship, then my guns are fixed on the sides, and not move as a modern turret: I must present everytime a broadside, and be ready to shoot well and better than my enemy.

4- My usual S&T previde a mobile defence in a somewhat restricted space: usually I dislike to be the attacker, leaving this role to the other ship, and changing strategy only if I start a counter-attack.

Then, here's my usual moves:

1- Put Battle sails;
2- Moving around the attacking vessel, shooting possibly from blind spaces (and not getting a reply)
trying at first to lower his speed with Chain shots and destroy almost a mast, for reduce him in a clear inferiority;
3- When my enemy is less mobile, I must decide if try to conquer the enemy ship, or sink her. If I want conquer the other ship, I try to come closer and shoot Grapes for reduce the enemy crew, then board, otherwise, if I want only destroy the enemy, I attempt to stay at bay and shoot gunballs, possibly (if I have already) using the Fast reload and Long shots abilities,that give me a good advantage in respect to the other ship.

BUT......

now see my usual choice, I know, will seem strange, but is rerally better, and pay very well.

SPECIAL GUNS TACTIC

Every time I can do, I choose to put Carronades instead Guns. Why this?

Carronades shoot at shorter range than Guns, this is true, and I know that with them I must move closer for have a good effect,
But
Carronades have a more powerful effects than Guns, and hits are more harder than usual Guns, and this is the secret that pay better.

Yes, you will have more holes in your ship, but also you will have more chances to win against an enemy ship.

Note:
this tactic isn't everytime possible, some ships usie only Guns and refuse any Carronade instead.

The game was probably Wooden Ships and Iron Men. It was developed from miniatures rules called Ship of the Line which were a bit more involved. WSIM was quite an attractive game, with rectangular cardboard counters with a top-down plan view of the ship. It was played on a hex grid, common in those days. I played with metal miniatures instead of the cardboard counters.

There was a computer game also called Wooden Ships and Iron Men and it was good as well.

I had another game from SPI that I think was called Frigate. It had square cardboard counters.

The tactics you mention are the same ones I used when I was playing PotC all the time. I could defeat most ships with a sloop and almost anything with a schooner. In other naval games, my favorite battle was taking the USS Constitution, a 44 gun frigate, against the Santissima Trinidad, over 120 guns. And winning. :)

Battles against more than one enemy ship are a little more complicated. Usually you try to cut one of the ships off from the rest and defeat them one at a time. This is easier if you approach from up-wind.

I've found in almost every game that you can't fire at extreme range; you have to get in close, and try to fire down the length of the enemy ship while avoiding his broadsides. If I had to cross the broadside arc of a larger ship, I'd do it at long range so he couldn't do much damage.

Hook

YES! was Wooden Ships and Iron Mens.

I remember the beautiful American revolution corsairs attacks, and the battles like Constitution vs. Guerriere.

NOTE:
- often when I have a valid ship that I can use for war, I name her "Guerriere" in honor of the real Guerriere ;)
- Usually I prefer other times, but I like much American Revolution, and my pleasure is become a Bitish officer for humiliate these "rebels" with my superior ship strategy.

Fire range: often I can shoot also at a certain distance (after all guns have 450 mts range) but carronades are better than guns, they deal more damage;) i love my dear carronades.

Battles: often I flee, because I dislike be circled from a ships fleet, but when the battle is fair, I like help, or fight against a chiosen target. Of course winning and losing, and I have seen that sometimes the 2 sides retire together after done some contact.

I like carronades too. :) Especially double shotted (two cannon balls and a keg of musket balls on top). And if you're going to get in close anyway, carronades are great! :D

Hook

Personally I prefer long guns, the reason being that my normal method is to pound the enemy with grapeshot to weaken his morale in the hope that he'll surrender. Grapeshot is already short range, so the last thing I need is to make it even shorter. Long guns don't hit as hard, so I need to keep pounding the enemy for longer, but at least I can pound him without being so close that he's liable to initiate boarding if he's a bigger ship than mine.

Carronades are most useful early in the game, partly because a smaller ship with 9lb guns can really benefit from the increased hitting power, and partly because at that time my gunner hasn't yet gained enough skill and can't hit much at long range anyway. By the time I'm in a Consitution or equivalent - or, more likely, a Fast War Galleon because I'm usually playing in an earlier period - the gunner's Cannon and Accuracy skills have improved, and the ship's guns are heavy enough to be effective without needing to be replaced by carronades.

@Grey: I agree, but usually I prefer little or medium ships.maybe also because I am more a merchant/explorer than a military commander

A little ship can move fast, turn fast, and is better for flee and leave enemy under her.

My great like on little ships are Tartanes and Hoy, medium ships like Brigantine are also very good.

Great ships are like WW2 German "Maus" a big bad thing that give a lot of damage but is slower like a turtle. And I dislike turtles, in a naval battle be fast is important, this is the motivation because at first I try to hit sails, relent the enemy and be faster than him is a great tactical advantage, in attack or defense.

Back