• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Porting New Horizons to Maelstrom Engine

XHSEn1m.png

hMtStA4.png

We have ship wakes now!

what are the added directsail features from GOF?

GOF uses a two point calculation that is simpler and thus more robust, but uses island centers to calculate distances. That is problematic because islands like Cuba are huge and have shapes that don't reflect radial distance.

NH uses a tree point calculation that uses locations within islands, but it is finicky and doesn't work in open sea. Part of the problem is a also a forced circular approximation to the island radii that makes the area around Hispaniola, Isla Mona, and Cuba impossible to navigate.

I switched us to a two point calculation that uses locations within islands, and the simple and robust conditionals of GOF. Now direct sailing is very robust and works even if you jump to open sea in the world map. Islands like Cuba are no longer a problem either because while you sail around them your two reference points tend to stay in Cuba keeping you anchored to the island until you get close enough to one of the neighboring islands. Of course, I also kept the amazing random encounter generator. Direct sailing is really working great right now.

Are the ships in battle still surrendering easily and regularly?

Also, I was trying to sail around Barbados manually since I didn't have a map to Sail To and at the top of the hour when the ships bell rang, suddenly it reloaded and I found myself way out in the middle of open water with a land mass a great distance off. When I went to the world map, I was in the middle of the Caribbean, days away from Barbados.

Are the ships in battle still surrendering easily and regularly?

Also, I was trying to sail around Barbados manually since I didn't have a map to Sail To and at the top of the hour when the ships bell rang, suddenly it reloaded and I found myself way out in the middle of open water with a land mass a great distance off. When I went to the world map, I was in the middle of the Caribbean, days away from Barbados.

If you are using the itch version, none of the things we fixed are still available. We are going to upload the big update in a couple of days with tons of fixes.

Do the fixes also address the female character visual glitches? Or did I bork the installation process? Seems reminiscent to when the female characters were introduced in the original build.

New Horizons by ChezJfrey

we released a new major stable update for the Maelstrom New Horizons!

changes and updates include:
- full implementation of the Storm 2.8 melee system, including energy (we don't have an interface for the new controls yet)
- also ported almost all character models to the Storm 2.8 bone system (there might still be some models that look janky, but most of the time, those are just models with armor variants)
- certain weathers can now be triggered by quest-scripts again, making Storylines like Woodes Rodger completely compatible again
- forts functioning again (the function very very good and are scaring me even with my Pirate Lord Couronne)
- added lights to ship models that were missing (still a WIP, a lot of models don't have lights yet, but we will get there)
- implemented GOF weather for now (we are still working on implementing a new version of the immersive NH weather, without missing out graphical quality)
- several interface fixes
- fixed bugged sail locators on all ships we spotted
- fixed missing sail emblems
- updated Maelstrom engine for support of long questbook texts in NH
- added missing GraphPoints for some islands, which lead to the confused AI ships ramming into rocks / islands at full speed
- directsail improvements
- various sound corrections
- ship trails

we also added a bit of new content!:
- new paint variants for the vanilla Pinnaces
- new paint variants for the swedish Indiaman
- improved / new paint variants for the vanilla battleship (battleship1)
- a Pirate Lord version of the Couronne
- a Pirate King version of the Soleil Royal (we are currently debating if we should use those two in a side quest some time :p )
- a new blade - the 'langes Messer'

Current known issues:
- only one! W and S for sail status sometimes hangs in 3D sailing - to fix this, simply hit "Restore Default buttons" in the options menu
-> This means, if you don't want to rebind custom controls everytime, you best edit the default_controls.h in PROGRAM/CONTROLS ;)

Currently not featured (yet):
- compass on world map
- encounter notifications at the top left screen on world map

Anyone who already has Maelstrom - I advice to check it out; we made progress beyond my imaginations and it is truly awesome.

Anyone who is still considerating getting Maelstrom - it won't be a mistake ;)

Also we gladly take help from anyone willing to participate as we are far from finished! ;)

20211124201340_1.jpg 20211122223440_1.jpg20211123192928_1.jpg

17714246296287576064_20211128165949_1.png 17714246296287576064_20211127230406_1.png

17714246296287576064_20211127193024_1.png 17714246296287576064_20211127193133_1.png 17714246296287576064_20211127193154_1.png 17714246296287576064_20211127193229_1.png

17714246296287576064_20211128210100_1.png 17714246296287576064_20211128210120_1.png 17714246296287576064_20211128210140_1.png

Last edited:
First of all: HOLY HELL, that looks amazing! Excellent work guys! :onya

Second: Let me tell you a little backstory: I always loved PoTC gameplay-wise, and its atmosphere left a big impact in me still to this day. But the graphics/physics that Maelstrom gives is way better for me that the ones in Storm Engine. I played the game until 2018(ish), I made a LOT of modifications in it, but when I uninstalled another game, it deleted my whole games folder :)facepalm), and no file recovery software was able to get my modified files back, and I lost interest playing/modding for myself it. Years of work, years of experimenting and failing, and a small amount of success...

So a probably pretty dumb question (so sorry for that in advance), because in that almost 4 years, I forgot almost everything :(:
- Is it possible to make the original PoTC work under this engine? I'm thinking about water bodies, weather, sky/sun, different effects such as gun/cannonfire, etc. So basically keeping everything the same as in the original game, but better. And if it is doable for such dummies like me, is there a documentation how to do it?

First of all: HOLY HELL, that looks amazing! Excellent work guys! :onya

Second: Let me tell you a little backstory: I always loved PoTC gameplay-wise, and its atmosphere left a big impact in me still to this day. But the graphics/physics that Maelstrom gives is way better for me that the ones in Storm Engine. I played the game until 2018(ish), I made a LOT of modifications in it, but when I uninstalled another game, it deleted my whole games folder :)facepalm), and no file recovery software was able to get my modified files back, and I lost interest playing/modding for myself it. Years of work, years of experimenting and failing, and a small amount of success...

So a probably pretty dumb question (so sorry for that in advance), because in that almost 4 years, I forgot almost everything :(:
- Is it possible to make the original PoTC work under this engine? I'm thinking about water bodies, weather, sky/sun, different effects such as gun/cannonfire, etc. So basically keeping everything the same as in the original game, but better. And if it is doable for such dummies like me, is there a documentation how to do it?

Thank you for the kind words, friend! Regarding your question, POTC already exists for Maelstrom engine, but it's not 100% stable, cause there was lack of interest to have it fully fixed for Maelstrom. Maelstrom developer ported it in a solid state, but it needs a lot of polishing. I myself never had interest in POTC for Maelstrom cause I think New Horizons is POTC at it's best. But if you are willing to work on it, you can get it on this link:
Gentlemen of Fortune: Buccaneers of the Caribe by ChezJfrey (itch.io)

Thank you for the kind words, friend! Regarding your question, POTC already exists for Maelstrom engine, but it's not 100% stable, cause there was lack of interest to have it fully fixed for Maelstrom. Maelstrom developer ported it in a solid state, but it needs a lot of polishing. I myself never had interest in POTC for Maelstrom cause I think New Horizons is POTC at it's best. But if you are willing to work on it, you can get it on this link:
Gentlemen of Fortune: Buccaneers of the Caribe by ChezJfrey (itch.io)

Now I finally was able (I can only use forums on my workplace) to see all the comments about updates, and I love it! Don't get me wrong, the New Horizons is a fantastic work, heartwarming to see people who care about games for this long, and making them better - especially when it comes to games I love. I just like the original game better, because that was my first ever (apart from NH, I played it, and quite frankly enjoyed it a lot) and still the only pirate game - so it's king of. And I like to mod the hell out of it, although I have to start it all over again, I forgot everything:read
Thanks guys, and keep up the good work!

Now I finally was able (I can only use forums on my workplace) to see all the comments about updates, and I love it! Don't get me wrong, the New Horizons is a fantastic work, heartwarming to see people who care about games for this long, and making them better - especially when it comes to games I love. I just like the original game better, because that was my first ever (apart from NH, I played it, and quite frankly enjoyed it a lot) and still the only pirate game - so it's king of. And I like to mod the hell out of it, although I have to start it all over again, I forgot everything:read
Thanks guys, and keep up the good work!

If you need any help, join the Discord channel where you can ask questions and get the help from the developer of Maelstrom himself.
Here's the link: Join the Buccaneers Reef Discord Server!

And I like to mod the hell out of it, although I have to start it all over again, I forgot everything:read
If you do make mods that could benefit also the New Horizons versions, you're very welcome to share.

Or, since there are a fair few other people with your level of nostalgia, such as @Artess999 ,
perhaps we should think of a way for you all to share your own stock game mods instead.

If I'm ready, I will share my work. I'm a bit rusty still, but I'm getting into it day by day, so it could take a while, when I finish (also on my workplace I get more and more work to do at the end of the year :(). Currently I'm working on addig new* skills to the game.

*skills from GoF and its mods currently, so the base game will be a..... let's just say an extended PoTC (in my mind at leastxD)

Currently I'm working on addig new* skills to the game.
Skills?
Or Abilities?
Adding new skills would be quite a job; those are scattered ALL through the game code, and interfaces!

*skills from GoF and its mods currently, so the base game will be a..... let's just say an extended PoTC (in my mind at leastxD)
Hmm...
That makes me think of a dream of mine:
Bringing PotC:NH and CoAS closer together.
If possible with ERAS too.
Because whatever need is there for all these to be separate?

Reactions: Lrv
Back