• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Playlogic Knackered

Keith

Raping the Horses and Stealing the Women!
Staff member
Administrator
[imgleft]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_cQOyQjTP3GY/SzdzSVtr3LI/AAAAAAAAAIA/hsoRWlFn4Po/s128/aop2-coas.jpg[/imgleft]Ever wondered why the promotion of Age of Pirates: COAS was so poor? Well wonder no more! Playlogic, via Blues, have filed for bankruptcy in Holland feeding more speculation that Pieter had a hand in their downfall.

Seriously though, I remember hearing about their financial difficulties some time ago and it does make you wonder who was responsible for picking Playligic in Akella as they must have done no homework on them.

Hi,

It's no wonder why they got into this position...they're pretty clueless when it comes to promoting and releasing games.I doubt you can even get a copy of CoAS in the UK yet & the game was first released years ago.
If they get out of this fix it's about time they start sacking a few folk and get some competant employees at the top end.
When you look at how they handeled AOP, it makes you wonder why Akella even thought of Playlogic for releasing CoAS.

damski.

I think we should pool our money together to buy the assets of AOP it's a stressed sale so we should be able to pick it up for 10 or 20 dollars :) .........then release it again on steam with the mods included :)

Yeah, this news doesn't surprise me one bit, they have repeatedly shown their ineptness at marketing games over and over. It was a very bad choice on Akella's part. But the way they have been treated by other western publishers, they really didn't have a whole lot of options. They should have just digitally distributed it themselves.

An interesting idea their Keith! Although Steam has improved quite a bit over the past year or so, they are still way to tied to DRM for my tastes. Perhaps we should start our own digital distribution company ...we are almost half way there now! :cheeky

AOP was that bad they'd probably pay us to take it off their hands xD:
On the over hand they have no money to give :slap

Although Steam has improved quite a bit over the past year or so, they are still way to tied to DRM for my tastes. Perhaps we should start our own digital distribution company ...we are almost half way there now! :cheeky

Not to mention that some of their games just don't work worth a darn, like Just Cause 2. A friend got a Steam-free copy (from where I'm sure everybody knows xD: ) that runs great on his machine, which has nearly the same innards as mine, yet my Steamified, store-bought copy BSODs the computer at least once an hour.

Anyways, yes, this news isn't surprising. Could the company's assets really be bought by somebody on here? :woot

I'm not surprised. They didn't exactly TRY to make money with CoAS!!! :shock
Man 1: "Let's release a game, make it hardly available AND tell nobody it's there."
Man 2: "BRILLIANT idea. We'll be rich in no time at all!"

I never did get a reply on my question to them on the availability of CoAS.

If Playlogic goes the way of the dodo, will CoAS still remain available for online purchase?

It's almost certain that some other publishing group will take the assets from Playlogic. I would look towards Paradox as they did the same with quite recently with another developer (can't remember their name, they were going to publish East India when they went broke).

Back