• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Pirates Ahoy! "Unreal Project" Announced!

Armada

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Project Manager
3D Artist
Storm Modder
Remember that "little secret" we mentioned with the latest Build release...? You're in for a treat!

The year is 2012. Pirates of the Caribbean by Akella was released nine years ago, and Pirates Ahoy! has been going ever since. While most of us at PA have only been on the team for a couple of years, we are finally starting to grow tired of modding our beloved game.

So, in recent weeks, we have been carefully discussing what path to take when we are finished with New Horizons for POTC and Gentlemen of Fortune for COAS. The direction our discussion went may come as a surprise to some of you...

We are seriously considering starting development of our very own standalone pirate-themed RPG, using the Unreal Development Kit!

That's right, we're looking to create a vast game world set in the Age of Sail using the modern, state-of-the-art Unreal Engine 3. This will be the most ambitious project ever undertaken at PA, and because of that, we will need volunteer help! Whether you're an expert with the UDK or an enthusiast that is willing to learn, you are welcome to join in our discussions.

At this stage, it should be made clear that we are still in the very early brainstorming stages, and that we won't have anything for public release for a LONG TIME yet.
It should also be noted that this does NOT mean we have abandoned either of our main mod projects! New Horizons and GOF are still being worked on and will be finished over the coming months.

For more information, and to apply to join our development team, please visit our new dedicated forum here.

Watch this space, me hearteys! ;)

I'd be excited to see where this will end up in a year or two.
As always, I'm willing help with anything involving seamanship.

Very exciting. You all know I'm firmly behind you. I'm convinced UDK is an excellent choice. We have spoken a lot about what we want to achieve with water and with the ship's realism, but we need a superior fighting system as well. Take a look at this video. I am in the process of contacting them. Perhaps we can collaborate. MK

That looks very promising. I think that it would be visually and historically beneficial to differentiate between swords, boarding axes, boarding pikes, etc. You don't swing an axe in the same way as you swing a rapier. If there were some way to make that work effectively, I think that that would be an ideal combat system.

Back