• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Pirate ships no longer chase me on world map

L0M3N

Sailor
as title says, what happened to pirate ships trying to chase the player's ship down and force him to do battle? Now when I see pirates on the worldmap
they just sail right on past. I really want this feature back.

As far as i can remember they always did tend to leave you alone on the Map navigation screen, you have to sail into them. Pieter has told me different, but that's my impression. IF you sail in direct 3D mode, you will get random encounters AND the pirates will try their hardest to catch you :yes

no, the pirates most certainly used to chase you. i'm pretty sure they still did it in build 12.1 as well, but my memory of 13 is a little foggy on that little fact.

I know they chased me in Build 13 at least. Although I remember always being able to decline the battle,
which should only have happened if I had Sea Wolf ability.

now that i think of it, i've seen it happen too. it just doesn't happen nearly as often as it used to. quite rarely, in fact.

Does the speed of your 'fleet'(or the slowest ship in it?)/ship have a bearing in terms of if the other ships can actually intercept you maybe? I see ships turn towards me often enough(i use the 'all the same sails in map nav mode' so i can't tell if those are pirate or not), but they never seem to catch up with me and i never see a single ship 'persue' me over any length of time. If those 'turning towards me' ships are pirates they give up pretty quickly it seems.

Methinks it depends on your relative strengths. If they are stronger than you they will attack. When I have attacked them I found that they were overmatched and only wanted to get away.

I have usually been pretty lucky lately in that when I encounter pirates in direct sail they were downwind and could not get to me.

That brings up something else that I have observed but never commented on.

Early in the game it seems the pirates aren't too interested in you and will pass you by to go after another ship. Also early in the game the only time I get attacked is entering or leaving port. It is like running a gauntlet.

Did you know that the Cutter is a militarized Lugger? You should try one some day.

That will explain why i've never been attacked in the map navigation mode in build 14 then, as all i've been doing is replaying the start of the game tracking down things that stick out etc. I see the cutter as part of that same tradition the Lugger came out off, many smaller boats, which were 'working' boats(fisherman/small transports etc) kind of have the same heritage. I used to sail a small 30 footer as a young lad in uni(it was my dads boat), i posted a pic ages back, it was a traditional cornish working design, called the Oysterman, but very similiar lines to our Luggers and Cutters in the game. Quite a pretty boat, all wood and canvass an all :) Last we heard it was in Holland somewhere(we sold it) - Pieter? ;)

In Direct Sail i mostly get combat as you say on arrival or leaving port, it depends on what type of ships have been spawned in the 'local ships' array. But i also get quite a bit of action during the 3D sailing part between Islands, that again just depends on the type(as in national/faction) of ship and if they are likely to cross my path with the current wind patterns etc. Mostly i'm running away, so i avoid 80-90% of those encounters i'd say. But they happen quite organicaly overall and i'm experimenting with spawn distances for these to find the sweet spot between realism(as in as far away as possible) and gameiness(close enough to pose a threat).

That will explain why i've never been attacked in the map navigation mode in build 14 then, as all i've been doing is replaying the start of the game tracking down things that stick out etc. I see the cutter as part of that same tradition the Lugger came out off, many smaller boats, which were 'working' boats(fisherman/small transports etc) kind of have the same heritage. I used to sail a small 30 footer as a young lad in uni(it was my dads boat), i posted a pic ages back, it was a traditional cornish working design, called the Oysterman, but very similiar lines to our Luggers and Cutters in the game. Quite a pretty boat, all wood and canvass an all :) Last we heard it was in Holland somewhere(we sold it) - Pieter? ;)

In Direct Sail i mostly get combat as you say on arrival or leaving port, it depends on what type of ships have been spawned in the 'local ships' array. But i also get quite a bit of action during the 3D sailing part between Islands, that again just depends on the type(as in national/faction) of ship and if they are likely to cross my path with the current wind patterns etc. Mostly i'm running away, so i avoid 80-90% of those encounters i'd say. But they happen quite organicaly overall and i'm experimenting with spawn distances for these to find the sweet spot between realism(as in as far away as possible) and gameiness(close enough to pose a threat).

that english got more and more creative as it went on.

i'm not noticing most of the trends you guys are noticing to be honest. i do notice that enemy ships on the worldmap occasionally have a go at me and give up straight afterwards though. it's more convenient than being persued by a swarm of convoys i have to say. i also prefer the distance at which ships spawn just the way it is.

RANT ON!! :rumgone

Treasure Quests are becoming impossible. Three times now when I get the "land ho!" a Man O' War spawns right next to me and broadsides me before I even know where it is.
thpirateshipff.gif
Of course I get sunk, sometimes before I even get a shot off. :8q

This has happened so far at Cayman, Hispaniola, and Guadeloupe. I'm probably going to get sunk at Cuba and Turks too. What's up with that? Is it controlled by your level? I'm at level 14 but am still a skill level 6 Captain cruising around in a light fluyt. Sure I'm trying to get the masts knocked off, but this is insane!

RANT OFF! :rumgone

yeah you no longer get ships suddenly appearing within attacking distance(well less than 600-800 meters anyway) in my tweaks. I found that as 'annoying' as you mention, not to mention a little unrealistic on a bright clear day!(one reason i aim to connect ships spawn distance with weather type and visibility, eventually!) What are my look-outs doing? no rum for you for the rest of the voyage!

As I feared, it doesn't matter where you go around those islands that Man O War will be there. The fort at Guadeloupe persuaded this one to surrender. It only killed me three times..............
The 4th time I survived, so here I am paddling over in the good ship Lollipop to accept its surrender. :sail

And it spawned within paint blistering range every time.

Surrendering to a fort sounds like a silly thing to do, in terms of player exploitation that is. Effectively it's a free ship! xD:

Hey, I was still afloat! I scared them into surrendering in my mighty lifeboat. :))

It isn't free either considering the lost ship and cargo, and I was on a cargo mission too. Now I have to replace a shipload of ale. Better go to the tavern and plan my strategy....:beer

Oh sure, the fort had nothing to do with it... :razz

The point is, it's a stupid concept altogether, and can potentially be exploited by the player in the right circumstances.
Trouble is, I've no idea whether anything can be done about it. :?

Is it really something one could exploit? Consider that I could not go to Guadeloupe without getting sunk. Now I can. And financially it was a wash. I had to buy the cargo so I could sell it to the merchant so I could continue getting more merchant missions. Then I had to sell that monster to get the money to replace and repair my ships. Now instead of a light fluyt cargo ship I'm stuck in a heavy brig. :j1

There is still Cayman and Hispaniola to figure out.

As I said, it depends on the circumstances. In your case you were in a sticky situation, so as you said, it wasn't completely 'free'. :urgh

Back