• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Pirate/American settlement south of Cuba

konradk

Privateer
Storm Modder
Storm Modeller
I was thinking about Eleuthera in PotC, exactly that whole island is inaccurately located and we can't do much to make it better. Additionally, I don't know if this land ever belonged to US in XIX century.

However, it looks that island we call "Eleuthera" on PotC map represents Isla de Pinos (Isle of Pines)/La Evangelista (name by Columbus)/Isla de Cotorras (Island of Parrots)/Isla de Tesoros (Treasure Island) - known nowadays as Isla de la Juventud (Isle of Youth). Initially pirates was actively present there, while in 1830 US pioneers funded a settlement of Nueva Gerona there. Please refer to Wikipedia article about Isla de la Juventud and Wikipedia article about Nueva Gerona.

I think if we change Eleuthera to this island we could have two issues solved. In the earlier periods we could put a pirate settlement there while in last two add town of "New Gerona" owned by USA. This way we could have both geographical and "parahistoric" accuracy and USA presence at the same time.

What are your opinions?

pirate_kk

Just about the Assassin and Bartolomeu Main Quest, Puerto la Cruz needs to be Spanish and Alice Town English :?

Just about the Assassin and Bartolomeu Main Quest, Puerto la Cruz needs to be Spanish and Alice Town English :?
Is it supposed to be whole time or only at some specific moment? If it need to be a permanent, we could set one town as English at start, otherwise it would be captured by British when it's needed.

pirate_kk

Is it supposed to be whole time or only at some specific moment? If it need to be a permanent, we could set one town as English at start, otherwise it would be captured by British when it's needed.

pirate_kk
During all my main quests. We can add something in the startstoryline.c to change the nationality of the town, anyway.. It's pretty easy to do this

Yep; overriding the default settings in a storyline is quite easy. :yes

The reason for me naming it Eleuthera is that I recall finding a reference that the US settled there at some point and it is vaguely in the correct direction.
However, if you think you've found a better name, feel free to change it. I'm not exactly an authority on anything historical.
Actually, looking through that Wikipedia page, it does seem very appropriate, so go right ahead and change it.

The Spanish names you give also make more sense since that island is used for the Spanish in the early periods.
There's two towns on Eleuthera though, so you'll need to find another name for the second one as well.
I like "Santa Fe" (found on the Wikipedia page) because it gives more of a US impression than "New Gerona", but apparently that town is not near the shore.
The name Isla de Tesoros (Treasure Island) just begs for a Treasure Island story as well.
And Isla de la Juventud (Isle of Youth) could work very well from Colonial Powers onward so we can place the Fountain of Youth there (sequel to PotC 3).

Question: Is it just a name and nationality change or are the land locations going to be changed as well? We need to keep that big fort land location for Bartolomeu's quest, I think. And for the sake of it being a cool model. ;)

Question: Is it just a name and nationality change or are the land locations going to be changed as well? We need to keep that big fort land location for Bartolomeu's quest, I think. And for the sake of it being a cool model. ;)
Indeed, all the land locations of that island. Otherwise, the quest is messed up :modding

I wanted to change only names and don't touch models.

At the weekend I made some experimenting and managed to convince engine to read map from other directory. That means that option of loading more than one worldmap exists; I must test it in more detail. This way we could use current new map for Caribbean south of Cuba-Santo Domingo-Puerto Rico and stock PotC map to mimic "Bahamas" (with Eleuthera, Nassau, etc), for example.

pirate_kk

Very, very interesting pirate_kk! :onya
Now if only we could make our own map models with proper collision data ourself...

But well - about your idea of using stock PotC map as the Bahamas, apart from testing your new code - altogether, do they really look alike and would the Bahamas area alone be usefull gameplay-wise?

When you compare an original PotC map with map of real Bahamas::

-1925441703.jpg

Bf-map.gif

(or at google maps i.e.) it easy to see mayor inconsistences. I suggested such thing only because: a) stock PotC map is the only other map we have currently which can be used (not counting a map of Caribbean with "properly shaped" Jamaica, Barbados, Puerto Rico, etc) and b) it somewhat close to current map so it would be simply reloaded to when player reachers upper ("northern") edge of the current worldmap.

As for the gameplay, making it "for real" would of course increase gameplay world and serve as some kind of a "pathfinder" for adding other regions (assuming we would learn how to make proper maps), but on the other hand it require a lot of work as well as would be connected with either even more commonly repeating of existing, already used models or with "borrowing" more locations from "sister" games (I mean AoP: CT and even AoP: CoAS here).

I think the "best" solution would be use stock PotC town models for those "Bahamas" and implement that most realistic map which Thomas the Terror put on FTP, but it require serious amount of work. Spreading quests to whole area of both maps would mean pushing most of them in all storylines into another locations.

Alas, sometimes progress requires substantial amount of work. Question is as follows: is it woth the effort?

pirate_kk

Alas, sometimes progress requires substantial amount of work. Question is as follows: is it woth the effort?
pirate_kk
Indeed, good question. Not sure, it is worth for Build 14.. at least.. Too much work for the number of active modders. :shrug

Is it worth the effort? For Build 14, I would say no.
The islands we currently have are already too samey-samey.
I'd rather see the effort go to making each island more distinct or something.
Or better still, fixing and finishing what we have.
Because THAT is the main thing I think we should focus on now.

I don't really see much point in adding more Caribbean islands.
NON-Caribbean locations would be insanely interesting for variety's sake,
as well as historical relevance and realism.
Mainly US and Europe, Mediterranean, Cape of Good Hope, India, Indonesia, China would all be very good to have.
But I think that's something for Build 15 or Build 16 or something.
Once we have the source code, it's basically "no holds barred" and we could REALLY go ahead and make the best pirate game out there,
based on CoAS and PotC. Providing we can find enough (wo)manpower, experience and knowledge.
But that's all for the far future, I reckon.

Talisman, have you played the Gentleman Jocard quest recently? :?

If so does it mention ENGLAND at all on Eleuthera?

Back