• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Piet Heyn - Reale Ocho: Silvern at Bahia de Matanzas (Part 14)

modernknight1

Field Marshall of Hot Tubs
Staff member
Storm Modder
And now Part 14. “Illumination and Tragedy”

Piet once again found himself standing in the beautiful tropical bay with which he had become so familiar in his dreams. He was walking upon its soft white sand in his bare feet. He sloshed about in the warm clean water as if a young child. The sun shone down brightly from a perfect azure blue sky. Piet smiled as he felt its rays warm his face.

He suddenly noticed distant figures ahead of him sharing the beach. The first figure was clothed in white and much closer to him. Following some distance behind was a figure so black that the light did not even highlight it's form. As he walked closer to the first figure its lines became more defined as a young female running towards him and then recognizeable as his own lovely wife Anneke.

Heyn and the Reaper (640x451).jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49225014@N05/7422127006/lightbox/

The couple smiled at one another as the distance finally narrowed to a paces length. The two embraced but as Piet attempted to hold his beloved close, she pushed him back and pleaded with him to listen to her. Her smile was replaced by seriousness as he stirred from his exuberance to listen. “Piet, you must awake and flee! You are in grave danger my love. You must awake and get to your ship now!”

Piet was befuddled by his wife's exhortation. He looked over her shoulder at the black figure that was steadily approaching and now much closer than when he first saw it. “Who is following you?”, he asked Anneke.

Anneke answered, “You don't remember him Pieter? He says he knows you quite well and has been after you for some time. He told me that he is here to take several people away with him - People that you know very well - and that he will take you too if he can get you. You must not allow him to Pieter!”

The malevolent figure's lines were now hardening and becoming clearly pronounced. The dark figure was completely wrapped from head to toe in a hooded cloak that concealed it's actual form beneath. The darkness within the hood's recess was as black as midnight from the earth's deepest places. The figure held a long, wickedly curved scythe in one gnarled boney hand and gripped the thin waist of a large hourglass in the other. The figure did not seem to tread over the shallow shoreline, looking more as if it were slowly and unhurriedly floating unstopably towards them.

Piet spoke, Yes I know him only too well my dear.”

“Awake Pieter! You must awake!”

Pieter awoke. He took a moment to determine where he was. It was still dark and a candle dimly flickered, casting odd shadows of the ornately carved furniture upon the walls. He sat up in his bed. He was sharing the room with a couple of his lieutenants. “Karl!” Pieter addressed.

Van Dorn who was a light sleeper anyway stirred and abrubtly snorted, “aaah...Sir? Aye Sir?”

Piet continued, “Mr. Van Dorn, help me wake the others. We must assemble our party in the kitchen.”

“Aye Sir”, Van Dorn acknowledged.

In less than ten minutes time, Heyn's party, to include the still recovering wounded, was assembled upon the ground floor of Orfini's villa in front of an immense open brick oven in the old kitchen. They were all confused and a little misoriented, but always trusted and obeyed their commander's orders.

“Gentlemen, I trust you slept well. As you all know I always trust my bones. My bones tell me that we are in danger and must get to the ship at once”, Captain Heyn explained.

Heyn walked to the back door of the villa and pulled up its thick wooden bracing bar. He pulled opened the large aging door with a protesting creak and the men followed him out onto the stone walk without question. Rather than take transport by gondolas, the men walked north upon the stone walks towards the Realto bridge where they would find a large conveyance to the docks and beyond.

At nearly the same time Count Orfini and his party approaced his own front door. Orfini had been out most of the night confering with other prominent Venetians. Three of the Council of Ten now knew of the current situation.

As the Count and his men stepped forward out of the gondola upon the stone jetty into the shadows of morning's first light, their lanterns shown into the open front threshold of his home. The door was unexplainably ajar. Orfini's men approaced the opening with caution pulling out daggers and blades to defend themselves if the need arose.

As they entered the lantern light revealed the shape of Orfini's old doorman Aldo, dead upon the floor in a puddle of his own blood, eyes still open blankly staring upwards into nothingness. Orfini was livid. “MURDER!”, he yelled out loudly. He turned to one of his men, “Go and fetch the Conestabile at once!”

Before the man could exit, feminine screams echoed throughout the spacious main hall from levels above. Orfini's party dashed up the large staircase towards the disturbing sounds. Confusion reigned as servants and Orfini's daughters ran through the dark corridors of the great villa for their lives making for the stairs and freedom. Cries of agony and the last breaths of death came from those unfortunate enough to run headlong into the dozen dark assassins that faced them.

Orfini led his men into one of the large chambers where Heyn's officers had slept just minutes before. They were met with a cloud of floating feathers from the shredded bedding the assassins had just destroyed and left behind. The killers realizing their quarry had already fled, separated and made their way out of the place by any exit possible to include the windows. Orfini's party caught several of the assailants attempting to escape via the upper hall and a dark savage duel of close in-fighting commenced. The assassins fought with a strange conservative style not attempting decisive fatal slashes or thrusts. After each parry they would attempt small slicing cuts to arms and legs. Orfini had experienced this style before and quickly pulled the cloak from round his shoulders into his left hand to use as a guard. “Do not let them cut you men! Their blades are poisoned! Giuseppi, bring up the muskatoon!” He commanded.

The Count's men immediately parted to make an opening for the large wheellock scatter gun. Orfini yelled out loudly in rage and anguish as the lanterns from his men bringing up the rear suddenly bathed the corridor in light. The nobleman realized they fought standing above the corpse of one of his innocent daughters. The young beauty laid motionless with her eyes wide open. No large wounds could be seen. She was a clear victim of the killer's deadly poison blades.

Meanwhile as the sun rose, Heyn's men emerged onto the open court adjacent the Realto bridge.
Captain Heyn approached a group of gondoliers huddling together in the usual early morning routine preparing for the days work. As Captain Heyn began to arrange for passage to the Neptunus, a Conestabilere with roughly two dozen armored guards stepped out from the surrounding narrow streets and surrounded Captain Heyn's group. Dirck Van Sonnevelt stepped out of the shadows and nodded to the Conestabilere, “These are the men Captain. Arrest them all and throw them in the Piombi.”

Heyn now smouldering in anger, rebuked Sonnevelt in Dutch, “Villain! You will pay for your deception!” Heyn moved towards the consul, but before he could draw his blade was struck in the back of the head with a dag's handle, collapsing unconscious upon the smooth flagstone street.

Heyn floated upon his back looking upwards at a dark purple starry sky. He was surrounded by calm cool water which was lit up in a gently moving brilliance reflecting the purple tapestry of countless bright stars above. Heyn heard his father speaking to him from a time long past, “Remember my son, with God's help alone, YOU are the master of your own destiny...destiny...destiny.” Then he heard the rising echo of laughter from his hated nemesis Bienavides y Bazan, “You must learn your place in the world Costurrera. It is clear that God has ordained it so – and that you will always be a slave of Spain. You must accept this esclavo.” Suddenly Franz Hecht's raspy voice joined the chorus, “It's true my family are all buried there, but so are over eightly thousand others killed in that damnable Dago siege. I must move on...on...on.” He heard Jacobi's familiar preaching, “At our faith's core center, there are just two simple Christian rules really – love one another and treat your neighbor as you would wish to be treated - and Captain please always remember when people's lives are at issue, mercy is of God and killing of the Devil.” Old Admiral Van Noort then took over, “Ever been to Venice Heyn? Strange self worshipping people those. You will most certainly learn patience.” Anneke's voice then overshadowed the others, “You must not allow him to take you Pieter. Come home to me Pieter – come home.” The Prince then spoke, “I would wager that if they put you in charge Heyn, that those pesky Uskoks would be brought to heel in a few months time.” Bosko Lenkovic was next, “If you behead us I promise you will lose ten for every man killed...killed...killed.”

“Captain Heyn, are you well Sir? Captain Heyn? Can you understand me Sir?” The blurred vision of Piet's eyes slowly cleared and he could gradually make out a familiar face in front of him. He was laying on his back with a wooden block under his head. Bosko Lenkovic was leaning over him, his hands holding a damp cool cloth over the top of his head. Captain Heyn sat up on the stone floor of what was clearly a prison cell.

“Lenkovic? Where are we?” Heyn enquired.

“We are in the Doge's Piombi, also known as The Leads, because of the roof”, Lenkovic answered pointing up at the ceiling which was covered with oxidized thick green colored lead sheets.

“I wondered what had become of you man. Where are my officers?” Heyn asked.

Lenkovic answered,”They are in the cell across. You've been out for several hours and your men continue to call across the hall to enquire as to how you are.”

“Any news? Have you tried to get out of here? Is there any chance of escape or release?” Heyn further enquired.

Bosko responded, “I have had visitors. The Doge is very sick – they say near death. The Capi readmitted the Jesuits into the city and several have come to visit me. They tell me that my release has already been arranged. I am to board a ship bound for Istria in the morning as part of a prisoner exchange. The ship will be stopping at Trieste on the way where the prisoner exchange is to take place. I was surprised, but the Venetians are clearly fragmented. The centrists want me dead. The pro-papists and patricians want me to be let go even though they are not necessarily pro-Habsburg. I even heard the Doge wanted to talk with me but I do not know what is happening now. I thought about attempting to break out and try my best to find him.”

“And just how do you propose doing that?”, Heyn glibly asked.

“With this.” Bosko whispered, producing a small stiletto dagger.

“How did you manage to sneak that in?” Heyn said curiously.

“The Jesuits gave it to me. As part of the conditions for leaving on the ship to Trieste, I am supposed to kill you”, Lenkovic commented with a smile.

“Surely you would have already killed me while I was knocked out if you meant to do me harm, so why didn't you?” Heyn pronounced.

“I am not an assassin or a murderer Captain. You spared my life and the lives of my men when I attacked you. I would not have done the same if our positions were reversed. I owe you a debt and will make good on it. If you help me find my comrades we could all make our way out together”, said Bosko.

Heyn answered, “I doubt you will be able to pick the lock with that stilletto. Are there any other options?”

The two men looked around the room. There were no windows except the small barred opening in the door. They were able to speak back and forth through it across the corridor between cells to Heyn's officers, who were relieved to see their commander standing and articulate. There were also two openings in the floor opposite one another in the outer corners of the room. One was round and obviously a toilet hole. The other was square and had a pulley mounted in the ceiling above it as if a rope had at one time been used to bring things up into the chamber. The opening was far too small to get a man through. It looked like some sort of dumbwaiter, but Bosko said no food had been brought up that way.

Bosko began to play with the door lock while Piet paced the cell trying to think of a way out. The two men conversed to pass the time finding that they actually had much in common. They found that they had a natural admiration and respect for one another.

Gradually, light scuffling noises could be heard coming from the small square hole and getting louder. Piet observed the hole intently when in a few moments a dirty young boy of eight or nine years emerged from it. The boy stood up brushing the dust off of himself. Bosko turned around from the door in surprise and the boy began to speak in Italian. Piet was shocked by the unmistakeble resemblance the boy had to Count Orfini. The boy looked as if he could be Orfini himself in childhood.

Bosko listened intently to the boy and then translated into Spanish for Heyn, “He says he is Adolfo - Matilda's son – Matilda is Orfini's cook.....he says that there is a plan to get us out.” The boy pulled a large bronzen key from a thick leather cord around his neck and held it out for Captain Heyn to take. Captain Heyn took the key and the boy continued to jabber in Italian. Bosko translated again, “He says that this key is Capi Zen's master key and will open every door in the palace. He says his mother and one of the Count's daughters are coming with food baskets so that the jailer will let them in. When they open the door they will drop bags from inside their skirts containing loaded dags and knives. We must over-power the jailers while the door is open and use the key to open the other cells. Once we have made our way out of the palace, there is a large gondola below that will take everyone out to a fast-galley bound for Trieste.” Bosko smiled wide, “See how God works Captain? He will get me to Trieste even when I don't kill you. He must like you...and me.” Bosko laughed to himself.

Soon the sounds of a heavy lock unlatching - and a large door opening, could be heard echoing down the corridor. A moment later two young women were seen with baskets of bread. One of the jailers opened the cell and the women rushed in giving Piet and Bosko as much space possible to act. Piet grabbed the first jailer and pulled him into the cell. As the second jailer attempted to resecure the door, Bosko grasped its edge and with all of his strength bashed it back outwards into the man's head knocking him to the floor of the corridor. Piet had knocked the first jailer unconscious and threw the key to Bosko who reopened the door, ran into the corridor, kicked the face of the second jailer who was beginning to stand again, and opened the cell door to Heyn's officers. He then ran down the hall to find his own men.

Heyn threw one of the bags the women had dropped into the officer's cell and soon most of the men were armed. As they made their way down the corridor, the door into the prison was still ajar. They rushed through and over the suspended enclosed stone bridge that joins The Leads with the Doge's palace. At the other end of the bridge was another guard room with two more guards sitting bored playing dice at a table. Above them hung the key rings with all of the keys to open the individual cells. The men looked up in surprise and Heyn's men quickly overpowered them. They were happy to find all of their own personal weapons and equipment laying piled up in a corner of the room. Now fully rearmed they made their way down another unguarded corridor and found their way to the great stairs that descended three stories downwards. At the bottom of the stairs were several guards, but they were engaged in coversation with Count Orfini and Capi Renier Zen. The two parties met and Lenkovic's men soon joined them on the street.

Orfini motioned to the whole group, waving and pointing to a very large gondola at the stone dock joined to the palace, “This way my friends! Quickly now!

Before they could get to the boat, young Jurgen Van Sonnevelt ran out of the arcade from Saint Mark's square with Randolphi Manzi and his gentlemen killers closely behind. Jurgen pointed at them and yelled out in Italian, “There see! I told you – they have escaped!” Manzi smiled and walked slowly towards the group pulling out his rapier. His followers did the same. The Conestabile walked up behind with another dozen armed men.

Renier Zen spoke, “Stand down your men! This is my affair and these men are under my protection.”

Manzi spoke, “I'm afraid I can't do that Signore.”

Zen engaged the Constabile, “Captain, I am a Capi, and I order the arrest of Randolphi Manzi and his men.”

The Constabile looked sheepishly back and forth between Manzi and Zen and replied, “I am afraid that I am not actually in your employ Signore.” With that he pulled out his sword and ordered his partisan-pike armed men forward.

Manzi smiled wide and the two groups engaged. It was utter chaos. The Dutchmen all immediately discharged their dags and then pulled out their swords. Tragically as Matilda tried to escape the carnage she fell mortally wounded. Adolpho ran to her crying, “Mama, mama!” Orfini yelled out in anguish as he saw her fall, but was blocked by the fighting around him from reaching her.

Heyn took on several of the partisan armed men. He was all too familiar with avoiding their obvious thrusts, and moving quickly inside the long weapons to run his opponents through.

The Uskoks ran up to assist Captain Heyn against the mercenary guards and fought as men possessed - quickly throwing them back in disarray. Heyn was now free to engage the corrupt Conestabile that had incarcerated him. The mercenary captain was clearly afraid as Heyn's enraged figure attacked. The man had little talent with a sword and Heyn's rage dissatisfied with simply killing him fast began to cut him everytime he made a fence mistake. Soon the man had gaping gashes covering his torso and arms. Heyn finally administered the coup de grace and skillfully ran the man through his groin. The man fell gasping in pain - bleeding to death upon the flagstone.

Van Dorn was beaten back by several men while trying to reach Manzi and forced to engage them - fighting for his life. Orfini and Manzi found each other and began a stunning array of expert fence combinations. Manzi was impressed with the old Count and spoke, “Your skill with a blade is not exagerated your excellency.”

“I'm so glad that you think so”, Orfini sarcastically replied.

As their blades sought any weakness and continued to lightly ring in deadly combat, Manzi continued, “You have truly been a thorn in all of this. If you could have just left it all alone, you would not have to die today.”

Orfini answered, “I Sir, am an honorable man who does not seek to murder my brothers or young innocent women. I will be judged by God as such and you as well for your wicked deeds.”

Manzi countered, “But not today I think. I guess I will not see you in Hell then, but I'm afraid you are the only one of us that will be judged today.” With that comment Manzi performed a strange lunging side step to the right while wraping the guard of his rapier in a clockwise motion around Count Orfini's sword disarming him in a fatal disengagement. The Count's sword flew into the air and over the stone pier into the water while Manzi thrust his long main-gauche deep into Orfini's belly. Orfini gasped and fell to the ground as Manzi pulled out his blade and wiped the blood on Orfini's fine decorative coat.

As Van Dorn finally overcame his last attacker, his blade was snapped in two. As he lowered the broken blade and thrust deep into one of Manzi's henchmen, he witnessed Orfini fall and Manzi kneeling over him. The experienced Dutch Lieutenant was filled with rage as he ran for Manzi. With the broken sword in his right hand and his wheellock dag grasped by its barrel in his left, he quickly reversed them as he ran towards the duelist. He did not wait for Manzi to rise and face him. He immediately bashed his enemy in the side of the head with the dag's clublike handle. Manzi fell disoriented. Van Dorn gutterally screamed out, “I should have killed you the first time”. The Dutchman then battered Manzi's head in relentlessly with the dag's club handle - over and over again until a bloody puddle spread below his head. He then took his broken sword and fatally thrust it through the Italian duelist's neck. He paused for a moment to catch his breath and picked up Manzi's rapier claiming it for himself.

In a few violent moments bodies and pools of blood and spatters covered the street next to the Doge's palace. Heyn's and Lenkovic's men had overcome their assailants. Jacobi and Zen who had little skill in combat had stayed out of the fight behind a column of the arcade. With the fight over they moved to ascertain Orfini's condition. Heyn leaned over Count Orfini and lifted his head. The count was breathing hard and put his bloody hand onto Heyn's wrist in final friendship, “I am dead Pieter. I have something to ask of you. The boy Adolpho...he is my bastard by my true love Matilda. With his real mother now dead, my own wife would raise him as a servant and treat him with contempt his whole life. Piet, please take the boy with you.”

Piet answered, “Of course I will my friend.”

Orfini smiled, “You are a good man Piet Heyn. I bid you farewell.” The count gasped as his last dying breath floated out of his body and his head turned slowly sidewards unsupported by life. Orfini's remaining daughter began to weep uncontrollably over the body of her father.

Renier Zen knelt over Orfini and put his hand upon his chest, “You will not have died in vain I promise you. I will watch over your family Tommasso. Rest well my friend.” He turned to his sobbing daughter and put his hand on her shoulder in consolation. He pulled a small pouch of gold coins from his vest and put it in her hand, You must be strong now Francesca. You must see to your father and to Matilda. You must go tell your mother what has happened. I will help you when I return.”

Zen stood with a grimly serious aire, “Gentlemen you are still in much danger. You must board the gondola and get out of the city. The jaded party quickly moved into the large gondola and the crying boy was pulled away from his dead mother to join them.

As the gondola made its way out to the fast-galley, Van Dorn approached Captain Heyn, “Sir couldn't we just as easily commandeer this boat to our own ships and transport Lenkovic under the safety of our own arms?

Heyn answered, “Yes we could Karl, but I'm afraid we would not learn the whole truth of this ugly matter if we did. We will be in Trieste by morning and I believe all will be made clear once we arrive.”

The large gondola bumped up against the fast-galley and everyone climbed aboard - up onto the sleek long ship. The gondola debarked and headed back to the docks and the galley made sail on a favorable wind as her oarsmen strained to achieve maximum speed. Piet had some quick fleeting flashbacks to his own youthfull experiences on similar vessels and shuddered slightly, glad to be above in the open air, but somewhat nauseous to be on a ship driven by enslaved men and consequently not on good terms with the wind. He grieved over the devastation that had befallen the Orfini family. He couldn't help thinking that some of what had happened was his fault. He stared out over the calm waters at the sun reflecting off of it's surface and thought to himself, “it will all become as clear as that reflection – tomorrow.”

Stay tuned for Part 15, Villainy revealed: a grievous journey. Aaron R. Shields a.k.a MK

http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/reale-ocho-silvern-at-bahia-de-matanzas.18233/

Mk, I would just like to point out that the Twitter feed is not automatic anymore and has to be done by hand, Pieter has the info in his thread in the Brig. I haven't been able to find suitable xenForo addon yet.

Anyway, my point is, all the views you see for this story so far have not been influenced by the Twitter bots, those are all natural hits.

Back