• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Perks Mod V2.6 Unlockable Perks! (READABLE BOOKS!)

AH! :facepalm

Al-right, so I had a quick look now. I definitely like your idea of blue vs. gold to show what can be selected and what not.
The only comment I might have is that it isn't quite obvious what the number stands for until you actually click on a skill.
But once you know, it should be easy enough.

With this disabling of various abilities, enemies CAN still get them. And hired officers could have them too.
But since the interface hides them, you won't know about it. In fact, officers will also still contribute those skills.

Some other semi-related thoughts:

- Not sure if SandbankManeuver (Sense Fairway) actually serves any purpose.
There IS code in place for a "grounding" to be able to occur, but I don't think there is anywhere in the game world where you can actually manage that.
So that makes it quite a useless ability.

- Basic Ship Defence for MORE than 1 point means that you can no longer choose it straight away when you start the game.
So that means: Cannot execute firedrills. Tough!

- Landing Party allows you to land troops at non-fortified towns for quite easy money.
Perhaps it should require more ability points?

- In Pirate_KK's code files that I sent you, he also made some changes to the perks system.
If I recall, he defined "min character levels" for each ability. I did put those values in perks_init.c, but at the moment they are unused.
I could not use Pirate_KK's perks interface code changes, because they were related to many, many other changes to the F2>Character interface.
He also wanted the TimeDelay to be displayed somewhere. So perhaps you can still find some use for those concepts?

quote from other topic:
I gave the special perk a cost of 1 point (default) so its still the same.
I could add a
enable.storyline = name
value to certain perks so they are only enabled for specific storylines.
Or I could add a enabled value all together and for this one it would be false on default. You can then enable it in code (i believe). so it would become visible.
This way even a specific event could enable you to be able to use a perk.

Actually I very much like that idea, it would also allow you for example to not be able to learn higher perks yet before you found for example a book which enables them.

Do people like that idea? I was thining for example (all things only apply to you, officer can still have it):

- Shipyard can learn you the light repair and instant repair skill after you helped him with a little quest (for example fetch quest).
- After a convoy quest the merchant learns you the commerce perks
- You can buy/find a book somewhere which allows you the voley range perk.
- etc

This doesn't mean you get the perk. This means its enabled, so you still need skill point to actually acuire it, but this means you first need to gain the knowledge and after that you need the experience before you are able to execute it.

AH! :facepalm

Al-right, so I had a quick look now. I definitely like your idea of blue vs. gold to show what can be selected and what not.
The only comment I might have is that it isn't quite obvious what the number stands for until you actually click on a skill.
But once you know, it should be easy enough.

As you say 1 click and you know, so shouldn't be such a problem.

With this disabling of various abilities, enemies CAN still get them. And hired officers could have them too.
But since the interface hides them, you won't know about it. In fact, officers will also still contribute those skills.

Hmm...adding a check to the CheckPerkAvailable to see which character you are viewing should solve this problem I think.
If the character is not mainchar you return true. I can add this.

Some other semi-related thoughts:

- Not sure if SandbankManeuver (Sense Fairway) actually serves any purpose.
There IS code in place for a "grounding" to be able to occur, but I don't think there is anywhere in the game world where you can actually manage that.
So that makes it quite a useless ability.

We'll call it a n00btrap then :p

- Basic Ship Defence for MORE than 1 point means that you can no longer choose it straight away when you start the game.
So that means: Cannot execute firedrills. Tough!

Forgot about that. Think that one should be 1 then indeed. altough....why should it....I mean having that perk gives you quite a advantage, and you always start with 1 ability point already. The first level is very easy. Normally you gained the first level already before your first sea battle so you just need a bit patience then. I actually think its good because people learn straight away not to waste the points.

- Landing Party allows you to land troops at non-fortified towns for quite easy money.
Perhaps it should require more ability points?

Was thinking about that, but giving it more points might make people not pick it and then they can't do capture colonies I believe, so thats why I kept it low. You would still need some other skills also if you want to be succesfull

- In Pirate_KK's code files that I sent you, he also made some changes to the perks system.
If I recall, he defined "min character levels" for each ability. I did put those values in perks_init.c, but at the moment they are unused.
I could not use Pirate_KK's perks interface code changes, because they were related to many, many other changes to the F2>Character interface.
He also wanted the TimeDelay to be displayed somewhere. So perhaps you can still find some use for those concepts?

Could you give me a link again, think I lost it. There is a min rank for some skills which is being used I believe, but I could add them very easy.
I think adding the TimeDelay wouldn't be so much of a problem.

About the sense fairway perk.

Have you ever shot the gap at Martinique in a 1st rate? It is a tight squeeze although the masts are still well below the bridge.

Have you never done a smuggling run to Devils Throat in a large fluyt? It is interesting squeezing through those rocks while the English navy is blasting away at you.

While it is one of the last perks I give myself and so is rarely used I can see others wanting it.

Hmm...adding a check to the CheckPerkAvailable to see which character you are viewing should solve this problem I think.
If the character is not mainchar you return true. I can add this.
Does that not defeat the purpose of Hylie's request? If your officers CAN get those perks AND contribute them, then you do still get their bonus.

We'll call it a n00btrap then :p
I wonder if anything could be done to REALLY make use of this whole "running aground" concept.

Forgot about that. Think that one should be 1 then indeed. altough....why should it....I mean having that perk gives you quite a advantage, and you always start with 1 ability point already. The first level is very easy. Normally you gained the first level already before your first sea battle so you just need a bit patience then. I actually think its good because people learn straight away not to waste the points.
Well, at least it is intentional then. Just thought I'd mention it so that we are doing it on purpose. ;)

Was thinking about that, but giving it more points might make people not pick it and then they can't do capture colonies I believe, so thats why I kept it low. You would still need some other skills also if you want to be succesfull
That perk is only required for capturing colonies that do NOT have a fort.
The reason is because attacking a town with a fort tends to be really quite easy; almost to the point of being a cheat.
Giving this ability a higher cost, it would be it harder to "unlock this cheat".

Could you give me a link again, think I lost it. There is a min rank for some skills which is being used I believe, but I could add them very easy.
I think adding the TimeDelay wouldn't be so much of a problem.
See here: http://piratesahoy.net/build/temp/PotC_KK_20130607.7z
And DavyJack: Don't download this file! It is based on Build 14 Beta 1 and therefore quite ancient. :wp

Last edited:
About the sense fairway perk.
[...]
While it is one of the last perks I give myself and so is rarely used I can see others wanting it.
Does Sense Fairway actually help in those instances? I'd quite like some confirmation that that ability actually DOES do something. :woot

Does that not defeat the purpose of Hylie's request? If your officers CAN get those perks AND contribute them, then you do still get their bonus.

He does want the enemy to have it, but indeed not himself.
I would need to look into it but I think I believe the perks for officers are generated semi-random so I must add the same check there also (in the officer creation). And indeed we should then keep it disabled from the interface for them to.

That perk is only required for capturing colonies that do NOT have a fort.
The reason is because attacking a town with a fort tends to be really quite easy; almost to the point of being a cheat.
Giving this ability a higher cost, it would be it harder to "unlock this cheat"

Ok I will make it a bit higher then. What do you say about 4 ?

And how about an enemy that DID have those perks, who is later hired as an officer? Should he lose those perks?
Also, since you're working on the perks system and Aconcagua is too, the two of you might have to get together at some point.

Does Sense Fairway actually help in those instances? I'd quite like some confirmation that that ability actually DOES do something. :woot
Well, before, whenever I'm caught in a storm my ship(s) is often near an island thus clashing my ship(s) into it when I'm out of control damaging it. Also when escaping enemies, but rarely, when I find myself on a rocky shore (i don't remember the names), I just smash my ships into the rocks or side of an island bouncing my ship into another direction(i don't know why it bounces, a bit strange, really) giving a temporary boost contributing to my escape. :cheeky

I will look into it. Think I know a way tough, but have to check.

I believe aconcagua was working on the officer system right?

I believe aconcagua was working on the officer system right?
Yep. It is somewhat related, so there is a risk of interference..... :confused:
I can send you his e-mail address by PM or if you send your address to me, I can copy you in an e-mail I send to him.

Changelog:

- Perks which you can't use do show up in the list but the icon is different so you know you cant use them
- Changing the gamemode will change the perk avaiblity so no new game required
- Changed the cost for trooper to 4

TODO:

- Add a "avaible" attribute to the skill. if this is false the skill is locked.
- Add a function to unlock the Perk which can be called from different places
- Make a troggle which allows for locked perks or not.
- Make perks unlock by doing things (completing quests reading books etc).
- Make sure the perk attribute isn't used in calculations if the settings is set to disable it (could happen after changing game settings or hiring a captured officer etc).

Last edited:
Added:
- Make sure the perk attribute isn't used in calculations if the settings is set to disable it (could happen after changing game settings or hiring a captured officer etc).

TODO:
- Add a "avaible" attribute to the skill. if this is false the skill is locked.
- Add a function to unlock the Perk which can be called from different places
- Make a troggle which allows for locked perks or not.
- Make perks unlock by doing things (completing quests reading books etc).

---

It should work but I'm not 100% convinced.
If you select a perk while playing normally and go to iron made mode the perk skill shouldn't be used anymore in the calculations. But if you think it is used somewhere please let me know cause it could be its called somewhere differently.

We're getting compatibility problems already. Your perk fix removes a function that Aconcagua added for his rewritten officers.c file,
namely the isPerkExisting function at the bottom of PROGRAM\INTERFACE\Perks\perks.c .

Do you have the latest code files yet? I thought I had included them in the latest installer EXE. o_O

Also, the handling of "Master Gunfighter" again does not work. Start Woodes Rogers, which initializes it.
Then start another storyline and it'll still be there, while my previous code changes had all successfully gotten rid of it then.

Your idea with "Forbidden" icons is an interesting one, but is it really necessary?
If I switch Iron Man Mode on, you get all those icons in the menu that sort-of break immersion for me.
I quite preferred them being hidden altogether.... :oops:

Oops forgot to update :p because I'm working on other things also and don't want the updater to overwrite my code (and I'm to lazy to copy it).
Will fix this soon.

I did this because I tought people might get confused if the perks weren't there. They would think its a bug or something like that. This way they understand they are disabled.

Working on a way for the woodes rogers functions. Its going to be implemented with the enable function.
I just forgot to add the piece of code again to the check for avaible :p.

Seems the meds still make me things less :(.

Back