• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Perks Mod V2.6 Unlockable Perks! (READABLE BOOKS!)

The perks are now completely random. Some get them to show up and some do not. The thing is, they show up but can not be enabled. This is confusing to some.

Cheers Pieter,

The game still uses those perks in the code, but they shouldn't actually show anywhere.
How can you tell the companions still have them? :shock

the perks are not completely disabled.
For example, they are not shown with my main character.
But they are shown for some, but not all, of my officers. The disalbled perks then appear below all others ... it looks like this then:
5 - perks.jpg

I don't know why this is so, but it is so.

I appreciate this feature, but at the moment, it is not working correctly.

Ugh, that's not right. Wished I knew how to fix that, but the perks system does WEIRD things. :shock

Just a quick question. Do they only show up when they are enabled? or do they also show up without a checkmark next to them?
Could someone maybe provide a savegame where this problem occurs?

:ahoymatey! Long time no see. How did your operation go?

Umm, theyshow up all the time but can not be enabled.

This save is from the La Croix storyline.

Attachments

• -=Player=- La Grenade.7z
    588.5 KB · Views: 100
These files should fix the problem. Also did a little bit of balancing to the perks again. You will only notice that if you start a new game.
A few costs for perks where changed to what I tought was better.

Let me know if any more problems arise, if not I will soon try to "lock" perks first. You will first need to find someone to learn you the perk or find a book to learn it from before you can actually select it. I think there should also be another way you can spend your points (or lose them) So perk progression goes slower, but what do other people think about that?

Attachments

• PERK_FIX_3.zip
    8 KB · Views: 110
Interesting thoughts about changing the way perks can be earned. Unfortunately, I've only just got a working install of Beta 3.1 running again recently, so haven't had time to properly see what effects your previous changes had on perk progression. I'll play the game a bit more before giving my opinions.

Interesting thoughts about changing the way perks can be earned. Unfortunately, I've only just got a working install of Beta 3.1 running again recently, so haven't had time to properly see what effects your previous changes had on perk progression. I'll play the game a bit more before giving my opinions.

Well the only effect it has now is that it disables certain perks for certain realism modes. And the perks have an amount of points you need to get them. So this makes progression slower and its harder to actually get all perks so you need to choose better.

And I was thinking for more important perks you'll get some dilema's. For example Instant boarding you can only learn from a captain of a tier 2 or higher ship. But to learn it you have to let them escape. And things like that. So you would need to make a sacrafise in order to get those perks to be able to learn them. That way you can also have some objectives even while playing free to play. Say for example the perks for better commerce can only be learned by a specific book, and this book can only be found on merchant ships. If you want to learn the perk you would need to board merchant ships and search them to find this book so you would be bussy with it for a while.

If you do add those new objectives, we'll have to make it explicitly clear to the player how earn these perks, to prevent confusion. Perhaps the perk descriptions would be ideal for that?

If you do add those new objectives, we'll have to make it explicitly clear to the player how earn these perks, to prevent confusion. Perhaps the perk descriptions would be ideal for that?
I will make sure there are in-game hint in dialogs etc, that's why I also need my better dialog system I'm working on.
And I think adding hints to the description would work too. Also thought of using the rumors more (wanna use that also for something else). Expect some cool things soon :).

Sounds good! Indeed more use of the rumours system would also be worthwhile.
At the moment, I think that one is basically doing no good whatsoever. Especially with all those trade rumours being horribly outdated anyway. :facepalm

Yeah thats one of the other things I wanna work on. I wanna get the rumor system back to being good again.

Is there something required, like an item or something, for some abilities?

I can't get the Advance Defence and some other abilities w/o requiring other abilities just by having enough points.
And this would result to not getting other abilities as some of those are their prerequisites.

I don't know if its just me, my game, that this is happening as it's been 4 mos. since I last re-installed.

Please make these perk modifications optional, the way the advanced skill system is optional. I, for one, am quite happy with the perks system as it is in earlier versions!

Is there something required, like an item or something, for some abilities?
No, there's not. The idea is there, but that particular idea has not been executed yet.

Please make these perk modifications optional, the way the advanced skill system is optional. I, for one, am quite happy with the perks system as it is in earlier versions!
Can do. :yes
Does anyone have any thoughts whether we can join that with an existing toggle? Or would it need to be a separate one?

Think we should just make an option in the internal settings. Will do that. It's not that hard. I might even added it already, dunno for sure anymore :p.

Oh and it's confirmed you can't get some skills which require other skills atm. Seems something is messed up there ... going to figure out what soon.
Expect it fixed before the end of the weekend.

Last edited:
Back