• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Pc Upgrade

What should I upgrade?

• The GPU

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • The Processor

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • The Motherboard

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • My RAM

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • The Case (Haf 932)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Personally I'd stay away from Gigabyte's motherboards for gaming. I recently built my mother a new high performance rig using a Gigabyte board and the found the Gigabyte BIOS to be just horrible! Caused me a lot of grief configuring that system.

Also, Xeon CPU's are intended more for servers and workstations and not really for gaming rigs.
For gaming I'd recommend a K series Core i5 or i7, as they tend to be a better bang for the buck and give you the "option" to easily overclock should you ever decide you want or need to do so somewhere down the line. Xeon processors on the other hand are locked to their factory speeds.

I only know about AMD systems but the Gigabyte boards for them are solidly built and feature terrible bios. The only boards I can recommend are ASUS.

I only know about AMD systems but the Gigabyte boards for them are solidly built and feature terrible bios. The only boards I can recommend are ASUS.

We are of like mind my friend! I absolutely love ASUS motherboards and their bios, so simple and clean and very feature rich.
I'm in particular fond of their Sabertooth series and have been rocking two generations of those boards, and I especially love the Thermal Armor they come with, which helps protect the motherboard from my clumsiness! (I once wrecked a normal motherboard with a screwdriver trying to get a faulty GPU out, because the PCI-E clip had been mounted on the wrong side of the slot!)

Simple? There are so many adjustments it can take weeks to get one dialed in. At least it did me. I prefer the MSI bios for simplicity and function, but they use cheap components that burn up when pushed hard, except for the one I'm using, which is EOL.

Crikey! The intel version of the Sabertooth costs nearly twice as much as the AMD version.

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGGGHGGG!!!!!!!
My computer is broken. AGAIN!
It doesn't beep the 1 short beep anymore, but it beeps 1 long beep. I've looked at that pchell link but I couldn't understand the PhoenixBios codes, and I think I have one of those...

That's right.

I am planning to do YouTube when I'm a little bit older. And I will do a lot of high-end gaming, I think.

If I may just chime in here and dig this up, you won't need anything above 8gig for youtube videos unless you're planning on working with UHD or RAW formats...and simply for high end gaming I question whether 16gb would really be used? But the others here know more about that than me. But for video, if it's a DSLR or camcorder, definitely not. It's CPU which counts for editing and rendering out unless you're getting advanced with colouring and SFX. What software do you want to use to edit? Sony Vegas is a good one if you're new to it and doesn't eat many resources either :)

I would use FRAPS or OBS to record and I don't know which I would use for editing.
But now I can't do anything. :'(

Ah! Yes, sorry I just saw your final post...I'm sure someone here can help out as it's been a few years since I've meddled with a Phoenix Bios. Good luck with it :(

It sounds like to me that your computer has many other problems than just the memory, but if nothing else, at least you have been able to learn a few things trying to fix it. In my opinion mate, it is time to build a new system.

These are the components I recommended in an earlier post, they are still valid, though slightly more expensive. Since you will be re-using your graphics card, I have left that off the list.

With a new motherboard, of course, you will need new memory, such as this : Kingston 16gig DDR4 €88,99

And a new auto-switching power supply : SeaSonic G-750 SSR-750RM 750W €109,99

And this motherboard : MSI Z170A PC MATE LGA 1151 €109,99.

And this CPU : Intel Core i5-6500 6M Skylake Quad-Core €186,99.

That comes to a total of €495.96, this is of course, assuming that you plan on reusing the case that you currently have to build in. If you would like, I can also look up components for an AMD system.

Buying a pre-built system is still also an option, but it will be more expensive, and probably not as customizable. On the plus side, with a pre-built system you won't have all the hassle of setting it up and testing out all the components to make sure they work together.

[QUOTE="Thagarr, post: 5276]Buying a pre-built system is still also an option, but it will be more expensive, and probably not as customizable. On the plus side, with a pre-built system you won't have all the hassle of setting it up and testing out all the components to make sure they work together.[/QUOTE] I'd love to build my own rig and not just buy it. I have a cousin and he is very good with these things. I'll ask him for help with building everything.

Thagarr said:
"With a new motherboard, of course, you will need new memory, such as this : Kingston 16gig DDR4 €88,99

And a new auto-switching power supply : SeaSonic G-750 SSR-750RM 750W €109,99

And this motherboard : MSI Z170A PC MATE LGA 1151 €109,99.

And this CPU : Intel Core i5-6500 6M Skylake Quad-Core €186,99."

Do they all work together?
And is my curren power supply not good enough? I would like to be able to keep this one.

That is an old Thermaltake 750 watt unit.

1) Power supplies wear out and that one is quite old. It is not putting out its rated power.

2) It's a Thermaltake PSU. They have a bad reputation for a reason. I had a 850 watt one that I thought was ok, until I got educated about it. I replaced it with an 850 watt Seasonic one and the difference was noticeable in every day use. The Seasonic not only delivered more power it was smoother power. When I was doing stress tests I was used to seeing small voltage fluctuations in the vcore, ram, 5 volt, and 12 volt systems and they were suddenly solid. This made the whole system run smoother.

But even a quality unit does not guarantee you will have no problems. I discovered that the 8 plug power cord from the PSU to the motherboard was bad and it was giving dirty power to the motherboard, causing crashes. I got aanother one free. The better companies tend to have the best customer support.

RAM:
Optimized for X99 series motherboards
The motherboard recommended is not X99, right?

POWER:
Cons: Some cables could be a little longer
Would that be the case with my HAF932?

MOTHERBOARD:
Cons: I/O shield doesn't look that great and is a bit hard to fit on.
What are I/O ports?

CPU:
Integrated Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 530
Do I really need this and will my computer think I have two GPU's?

They are where you plug things in to the computer like: Audio, Video, USB, Mouse, Keyboard, Network etc.

RAM:The motherboard recommended is not X99, right?

The MSI motherboard I recommended is a z170a board, which is a newer chipset that the X99. Basically, that "Optimized for X99" is marketing, the ram I recommended is the likely the cheapest you will be able to find at 16 gig. You can get 8 gig cheaper, though in this case, 16 is a better value. I recommend Kingston because they have the most robust testing on all their memory before it leaves the factory.

POWER:Would that be the case with my HAF932?

You want those longer cables with that big case! I have never built a rig in a HAF932, so I am not sure just how long you will need, but you can buy some extension cables if you need them for some connections.

MOTHERBOARD:What are I/O ports?

Yup, just what @Merciless Mark said, basically anything you plug in to the motherboard externally, like your mouse and keyboard. The I/O sheild is a little piece of metal, with the correct size opening cut out, that covers the ports to keep out dust.

CPU: Do I really need this and will my computer think I have two GPU's?

You will indeed have two GPU's and you should be able to switch which one you are using by a setting in the BIOS, though I am not that familiar with MSI. The built in Intel graphics is fairly decent, and is a good backup if your video card fails.

Newegg/nl/ has a rather limited selection on motherboards, this Asrock Z170a would be a good alternative.

Last edited:
And what is the I/O shield?

EDIT: Nevermind. Thagarr's new post hadn't loaded, yet.

Last edited:
Thagarr said:
Newegg/nl/ has a rather limited selection on motherboards, this Asrock Z170a would be a good alternative.
So that means I can't get the one you requested earlier, because I live in Holland?

And a review sais:
I would recommend it for any one who wants to build a low-mid range price system.
I want to buid a beast gaming pc. Would that still work?

Back