• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

On This Day...

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
[imgleft]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_cQOyQjTP3GY/SzdzjT8-9qI/AAAAAAAAAIw/UJBFa27Du4w/wiki.gif[/imgleft]On this day in 1789, Fletcher Christian led the most famous(at least in my opinion!) mutiny in history, when he and his shipmates removed Captain Bligh from his command and took control of The Bounty!

The mutiny

On 4 April 1789, after five months in Tahiti, the Bounty set sail with its breadfruit cargo. On 28 April 1789, some 1,300 miles west of Tahiti, near Tonga, mutiny broke out. From all accounts, Fletcher Christian and several of his followers entered Bligh's cabin, which he always left unlocked, awakened him, and pushed him on deck wearing only his nightshirt, where he was guarded by Christian holding a bayonet. When Bligh entreated Christian to be reasonable, Christian would only reply, "I am in hell, I am in hell!" Despite strong words and threats heard on both sides, the ship was taken bloodlessly and apparently without struggle by any of the loyalists except Bligh himself. Of the 42 men on board aside from Bligh and Christian, 18 joined the mutiny, two were passive, and 22 remained loyal to Bligh.

The mutineers ordered Bligh, the ship's master, two midshipmen, the surgeon's mate (Ledward), and the ship's clerk into Bounty's launch. Several more men voluntarily joined Bligh rather than remaining aboard, as they knew that those who remained on board would be considered de jure mutineers under the Articles of War.

You can read the full Wikipedia article HERE!

ARRrrrrrrr! Oi dis read on dis tale some years gon nar ans, wilst I 'as no simpathy wit Bligh, ye's got to 'and it to 'im dat 'ee survived dat terrible journey to land. A lesser man would not 'ave made it.....No Sir! :drunk

Ahoy Ben Gunn, good to see you mate!

I agree, it was quite an accomplishment to sail that launch as far as he he did, and to live long enough to see at least some of the mutineers tried and sentenced, he was made of sturdy stuff that one!

Back