• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

On Laziness (a Social Construct)

Cerez

Baroness of the High Seas
Storm Modder
Since my autistic burnout and experiencing severe hardships myself, I've always stressed that people are not lazy except when they know they have to do something, are perfectly able to do it (without any fear or obstacle), and still choose not to do it. Which is a rare occurrance indeed, especially if people are inspired by the right motivation to do something.

In my schooling system, I've been taught that if people are left to their own means and allowed autonomous freedom, they usually get both social and productive. As a result, I've always believed that laziness is a social construct and stigma used to force people to do things beyond their current capacities to do -- to exploit them and their bodies.

Now, a social psychologist and university professor, Devon Price, confirms my suspicions:
Laziness Does Not Exist

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks for sharing. :cheers

And yes, saying someone is just lazy, is very bad since you either ignore some key points or you are not aware of them.

Sorry for not replying sooner, I am quite busy with Pieter's case and school.

Sorry for not replying sooner, I am quite busy with Pieter's case and school.
No worries, I understand. I'm sharing more for the long run.

And yes, saying someone is just lazy, is very bad since you either ignore some key points or you are not aware of them.
Yep, and this is far from the only way current, ableist neurotypical culture is dismissing the human condition and people's basic human needs. But it's nice to know that my intuitive perceptions are not wrong, and to receive an affirmation from an academic person who studies such human relations/behaviours closely daily in their life.

I see/feel the way people treat people these days, even in a humanitarian mission, in our society is with a complete lack of insight/understanding (carelessly ignorant) and inhumane! Most people in our mainstream culture these days do not even believe that people can work compassionately to a mutual benefit without specific self-interest. This is completely out of balance with how nature works -- how different animals (and plants) interact with each other. This human culture is so out of balance that I wonder if people will ever find their way back to nature (without radical cultural reform now). I'm starting to think that people have changed so much that we'll (or they'll) never find our way to balance ever again.

But I'm rambling.

In any case, there is practically no such thing as "lazy", and any such stigmatising label is socially used to manipulate and abuse people -- case in point. Wisdom learnt.

Makes sense, @Cerez. :onya

Sounds like this definition of "lazy" follows the same sort of logic as my definition of "stupid".
It is the conscious choice that makes all the difference.

I see/feel the way people treat people these days, even in a humanitarian mission, in our society is with a complete lack of insight/understanding (carelessly ignorant) and inhumane! Most people in our mainstream culture these days do not even believe that people can work compassionately to a mutual benefit without specific self-interest.
The whole concept of the "win-win" scenario seems to indeed be VERY alien to people.

Might be one of the things that screwed me over time and again as well.
I aim to be kind, usually without attempting to get anything in return.
Which makes especially the people in charge really uncomfortable, because my agenda isn't obvious to them.

No shit, Sherlock!
I was operating without an agenda. :facepalm

People with narcissistic and/or sociopathic/psychopathic personality traits are particularly likely to not understand where you are coming from and to look for a self-centred agenda in your benevolent/sharing actions. They do not comprehend and/or do not believe in the common good -- that doing something for others can indirectly benefit everyone, including the one doing the good.

Worse yet, these people will try and undermine your efforts if you are succeeding, because they look down upon you and/or perceive you as competition to their own selfish agendas.

Unfortunately, individualistic cultural push worldwide and the media has contributed to a growth in narcissism in general culture worldwide, so most people these days carry certain narcissistic traits and learned social expectations and behaviours.

So when you are being sharing and giving without expecting anything in return, you have to keep in mind and be prepared that some people will perceive this as a weakness and try to abuse you, and/or will perceive you as a threat to their social status and attempt to undermine your efforts. Without giving them a selfish motive, many people will struggle to understand what it is you are trying to do, and attribute selfish motives to your selfless cause behind your back (when talking about you) to justify your thinking and actions for themselves.

Personally, I've found that you have to be aware of all this and very clear with yourself on where you stand, why you are doing this. Intuitively, you have to know surely and intimately that sharing, people working together selflessly leads to a better future for all. This often takes a learning curve in life, going through challenging personal experiences, to know and find self-confidence in.

Last edited:
Back