• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Needs Testing Nobs and Nobility

Indeed it does confirm that the change was necessary:
Sir Francis was the captain of three-masted armed naval vessel The Unicorn, which he was forced to blow up when it was commandeered by the infamous pirate captain Red Rackham. Sir Francis escaped the ship and lived among the natives of a tropical island close to where the Unicorn sank for two years before being rescued and returned home.
In PoTC, though, he's François de Hadoque, he's French, and if he reaches rank 7 then he's Chevalier François de Hadoque. I'm not sure whether that should become Chevalier François or Chevalier de Hadoque.

Indeed it does confirm that the change was necessary:
Exactly. ;)

In PoTC, though, he's François de Hadoque, he's French, and if he reaches rank 7 then he's Chevalier François de Hadoque. I'm not sure whether that should become Chevalier François or Chevalier de Hadoque.
Of course Tintin was originally French, so that's his original name.
It was @Seb who added him.

"Chevalier de Hadoque" does sound more formal.
But I could imagine such ranks could occur often within the same family, so you could have a lot of people being addressed the same way.
First names would probably be more unique; even if those are historically also repeated quite a bit.
Could that be the reason for constructs like "the Third"?
"Chevalier François le Troisième"?
Makes more sense than "Chevalier de Hadoque le Troisième", I suppose...

So based on that logic, I'd say always use first name; regardless of nationality.

There are functions for all levels of formality. In order from least to most formal:
  • GetMyName - first name only ("François")
  • GetMySimpleName - first and last name, no title ("François de Hadoque")
  • GetMyRespectfullyName - title if any, plus one name, usually last, except that now it uses first name if it recognises the title ("Chevalier François")
  • GetMyFormalName - title if any plus first and last name ("Chevalier François de Hadoque")
  • GetMyFullName - the whole lot: title, rank, first and last name ("Chevalier Capitaine de Vaisseau François de Hadoque" or "Chevalier François de Hadoque, Baron")
Serial numbers would probably have to go into the character's last name, so depending on whether "Chevalier" should use first or last name, 'GetMyRespectfullyName' would give either "Chevalier François" or "Chevalier de Hadoque le Troisième". Anything which gives first and last names would then get it right, e.g. 'GetMyFormalName' will yield le "Chevalier François de Hadoque le Troisième".

Sounds like not using any "le Troisième" names at all would be the simplest thing to do there. ;)

Apart from royalty in "Periods.c", who aren't game characters and won't use any of the 'GetMy.....Name' functions, we don't. :D

And on the subject of 'GetMyName', not related to nobs and nobility but it's in "Dialog_func.c":
If a character has only one name, the system sets it to be the last name, even if it's originally defined as a first name. So 'GetMyName', which is used in various places including some shop dialogs, returns a blank. Blackbeard is one such - he's given the "name" attribute by "initModels.c" but by the time he's ready for play, it's been moved to his "lastname". Using "console.c" to show 'GetMyName':
GetMyName_old.jpg

'GetMyName' first checks the attribute "firstname", then "name". I've added a line so that, if it still has a blank after both of those, it tries "lastname". And now:
GetMyName_new.jpg

Post #19 now has an updated version of "Dialog_func.c" with the fixes to 'GetMyRespectfullyName' and 'GetMyName' added.

...If a single name is used, should it be first name (e.g. Don Juan) or last name (e.g. Don Quijote)?
In any formal occasion, it should always be the last name if only one name is used after the individual's respective title or rank and never the first name even on a simple social call amongst friends when one of them is not a friend of the individual being addressed, it is only proper to do so. :)

EDIT: For a Gentleman Esquire, if only one name is used it should be Mr. Roger/Mistress Roger. If he had served in the military with the rank of say, Captain, or owns a ship as a merchant, he should be addressed as Captain Roger. Now if he was knighted by a King/Queen, he should be addressed as Sir Roger(Lady for females and spouse). Once they go up to Baronet/Baronetess up to the second-highest social title, the normal form of address changes to Lord/Lady (Lord Roger) or the title itself (Baronet Grey Roger). Then at the highest rank of non-Royal nobility, say for England, Duke/Duchess--they are addressed as "Your Grace".

Last edited:
And on that note, @Homo eructus: should a Spanish "Don" be addressed by first or last name? Formally it would probably be both, but that's handled by 'GetMyFormalName'. If a single name is used, should it be first name (e.g. Don Juan) or last name (e.g. Don Quijote)?
Same as "Sir", "Don" always goes with either the first name or the full name. In the case of Don Quijote , Quijote isn't an actual last name (although, it's derived form the character's actual last name, Quijano, as well as from the name of a piece of armor), it's the first name he gives himself to sound more "knightly", "de la Mancha" being the last name. To address someone by their last name, you'd use "señor", much like you would Mister in English.

Now if he was knighted by a King/Queen, he should be addressed as Sir Roger(Lady for females and spouse).
"Lady" is for a wife of a "Sir". A woman who earns her own knighthood is "Dame".

Beyond that, it seems that the new 'GetMyRespectfullyName' is correct - first name for "Sir" or equivalent, last name for everything else.

Another slight tweak, not exactly "nobs and nobility" but it's in "Dialog_func.c":

'GetMyRespectfullyName' tries to put a title in front of your name. If you don't have one but you do have a ship, it does this:
Code:
if(chr.lastname=="") name += XI_ConvertString("Scaptain");
else name += XI_ConvertString("Scaptain") + " " + chr.lastname;
'XI_ConvertString("Scaptain")' returns "captain". I'd expect that to be capitalised, especially when used as a title; about the only time I wouldn't expect it to be capitalised is as a description, e.g. "I'm the captain of the 'Black Pearl'." In particular, it looks odd when you talk to a loanshark because one of the ways you can introduce yourself uses 'GetMyRespectfullyName', which results in:
captain Jack Sparrow is at your service.
So I'm changing it to 'XI_ConvertString("captain")', which returns "Captain".

Back