• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Horizons on StormX

I wonder if @Grey Roger managed to give it a shot also.
Would be nice if the engine upgrade could be an update to be installed on top/with his latest.
I haven't had time due to checking out the texture updates plus adding a bit to "Ardent".

In any case, the engine upgrade is supposed to be standalone. The regular updates, being intended for NH, won't work with the new engine.

You mean all the "penn" locators need to be renamed to "sflag" now?
As I understand, every ship currently has both a "flag" and "penn" locator per mast, with one of the 2 being hidden using a transparent flag texture. With the new system you can just have one flag per mast, either "flag" or "sflag", and then the script can make flag decisions based on whether a flag is marked as special ("sflag").
So yes, we need to update all ships if we want them to have pennants, but I've already done a few and with the new Blender plugins it is quite easy.

Every vanilla update usually makes it way into the StormX version after a few days, a I try my best to keep up with merging them. So no need to worry about it missing content or bug fixes.

But why the standalone version is not available for instance on ModDB so that more people can test it?
I first want to drop the "Pirates of the Caribbean" name to avoid any risk of trademark issues.

I'm hoping for some early feedback on the installer from our modders, so we don't have too many people asking for help with installing it.

I'm also trying to make a tutorial on how to contribute on Github, because I won't be able to fix everything myself.

I re-enabled the PiratesAhoy intro video, but kept the Disney, Akella and Bethesda ones disabled.

Also converted all the loading screens to ".jpg"s, reducing their file size by ~95%, and updated the scripts to support loading ".jpg" and ".png" images for loading screens.
This should also make working on the loading screens easier and more accessible to new modders.

As I understand, every ship currently has both a "flag" and "penn" locator per mast, with one of the 2 being hidden using a transparent flag texture. With the new system you can just have one flag per mast, either "flag" or "sflag", and then the script can make flag decisions based on whether a flag is marked as special ("sflag").
Once upon a time, @konradk intended it so choice between ensign and pennant could be controlled fully in the code and not the geometry.
He dreamed of making an interface where you could choose per mast yourself if you wanted an ensign, pennant or nothing.
I recall he once showed some screenshot of his WIP interface.
But he never got round to finishing it.

It seems I cannot make screenshots of the immediate first loading screen.
The rotating coin shows up on top of the parchment; instead of nicely aligned to the right of it.

When starting the Standard Storyline, there is no loading screen either; but I think I reported that before.

Also, every time any conversation is initiated, you hear "I see you were raised by a butcher".
I recall @Mirsaneli had an issue similar to that on the Maelstrom branch as well.

The loading screen from Speightstown Port to Player Ship shows something more like modern art than the image I'd expect.

Good news though: the A and D keys work together with the mouse so you can walk at oblique angles.
That's new! And should make the controls a little bit smoother.

Sidestep is disabled though.
Does that work differently now if enabled?

It seems I cannot make screenshots of the immediate first loading screen.
The rotating coin shows up on top of the parchment; instead of nicely aligned to the right of it.
Loading screen was just a test. We might want to move the icon or update the loading screen. Any preference?
When starting the Standard Storyline, there is no loading screen either; but I think I reported that before.
This should be fixed in the next version.
Also, every time any conversation is initiated, you hear "I see you were raised by a butcher".
The loading screen from Speightstown Port to Player Ship shows something more like modern art than the image I'd expect.
Should look like this in the latest version:
Sea Dogs 1_21_2023 1_56_55 PM.png
Good news though: the A and D keys work together with the mouse so you can walk at oblique angles.
That's new! And should make the controls a little bit smoother.

Sidestep is disabled though.
Does that work differently now if enabled?
I took the side-stepping code from CoAS/TEHO, not sure how exactly that interacts with our old system.

Storm X engine doesn't seem to have error.log file? Also the modules folder must be compiled into a .dll or something. Seems it handles some things differently compared to Maelstrom.

@Pieter Boelen the Butcher sound was fixed with Maelstrom. I think it was somewhere inside Dialog.c.

Storm X engine doesn't seem to have error.log file? Also the modules folder must be compiled into a .dll or something. Seems it handles some things differently compared to Maelstrom.

@Pieter Boelen the Butcher sound was fixed with Maelstrom. I think it was somewhere inside Dialog.c.
All logs are saved under "Documents\My Games\Sea Dogs\Logs".

Thanks, I'll have a look in Dialog.c

Loading screen was just a test. We might want to move the icon or update the loading screen. Any preference?
Maybe swap all loading screens eventually.
Perhaps take inspiration from what @Mirsaneli did for Maelstrom.

I think I'd like paintings better than screenshots.
But perhaps this time, we should include credits for where we find our new source material.

I wonder if the spinning coin might be too Disney PotC.
But I like it so much!
And good old @Petros made it for us.
I'd be sorry to see it lost.

Perhaps take inspiration from what @Mirsaneli did for Maelstrom.

I think I'd like paintings better than screenshots.
But perhaps this time, we should include credits for where we find our new source material.

But I like it so much!
If you are afraid of copyright issues, use the spinningh ship wheel from AoP:Caribbean Tales. It looks nice also.

@Pieter Boelen for loading screens, use paintings and artwork, don't use game screenshots cause they look ugly.

Possibly for generic screens such as towns, going to sea, docking at port, etc. Storyline screens should not be changed. Some others which are our own work should probably stay as well. (One thing I'd like to see is different loading screens for forts. It's a bit wrong to always see a loading screen with British soldiers while raiding a fort that isn't British! So I'd want different fort loading screens for different nations.)

But I like it so much!
The texture is in "RESOURCE\Textures\Loading\progress.tga.tx". If the coin with the skull is tied too tightly to Disney then it could probably be changed to another coin - in fact, the same file has another coin design already.

Back