• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion New Horizons on Steam

Dat Scharger

Master Mariner
Ahoy there!

To Each His Own does it, Sea Dogs Legends as well (eventually) and even Caribbean! All mods, sold for money on Steam.

So, my question:

Why don't we offer New Horizons on Steam for money too? Use the funds to keep this very site running or get additional developers on board?

Just an idea. :)

From what I have understood, this community was never meant made to make money.
Aside from that, if we were to put New horizons up on Steam for money without making it paid on any other places, everyone would just get it from anywhere else.
Another thing to consider is that if you were to put a paid mod for a game up on any platform, there should be a way to get it on the same platform, right?
That is not true about Pirates of the Caribbean/Sea dogs 2. The only way to get the game in a legit way at the moment is to find a copy of the game on a site like Ebay.
To put it short, from what I know about this place, even if the original game was to be available on steam, it would be very unlikely for New Horizons to be offered for money.
(I had been reading PA! for around 2 years before I made an account. If I were to have only known about this place for a month, I would not respond to this post.)

The main problem I see is that NH has content from various third party IP's.
While it may be fine while it's a free mod, releasing it for money could potentially draw trouble to us.

Should it get on Steam, or maybe even better on GOG since there is no DRM, and it is paid, then personally I would like for it to be available for free outside of those.
Some may want to support the website, but I don't think they should be forced to pay for New Horizons.
For example Krita is available for free, but if you want to support the team you can buy it from Steam.

Edit: TEHO was published by Akella though. And is considered an official part of the series as a result. Same deal with COAS.

Okay, but could it still be on Steam for free?

As far as I know from Discord, New Horizons on the Maelstrom-Engine doesn't require the original game to run.

Okay, but could it still be on Steam for free?

Like The Nameless Pirate says: There is also the issue that New Horizons contains copyrighted/trademarked content in the form of all the PotC content.

I don't think Steam is going to like that, but even if we can get it on Steam, I would consider it quite likely for Disney to Cease&Desist us as soon as they found out.

The same applies to the Maelstrom engine, if Disney ever finds out they distribute a game with PotC content, they would most likely try and shut down there itch.io store.

Back