• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Horizons on JLB Maelstrom 2.8.2 engine

Thank you very much for your efforts and diligence. I've gotten into the games to a much greater degree, and have very much enjoyed them.

Also, at what stage is POTC on this new engine?

It's been out since last November. I have had no feedback and all I know is that I can launch, start a game, play a little, navigate towns, interface navigation for items/ship/etc., worldmap, sea, save, reload. I don't have much interest in POTC, so I have not spent any time playing it myself; all I know is that the rudimentary things I've tried all seem to work...similar to NH...the thing works, but nobody has provided any input to further check things other than pedrwyth and I have no interest in doing it myself.

The best options, that I know for sure work well are COAS, CTSupermod, GOF 1.2 and ERAS because that is where I've gotten the most feedback and have done substantial work.

I want to try your engine @ChezJfrey, where can i download it?

I may try POTC with it, when i replay the game and tell you how it went if you want.

EDIT: I may have found it from this post

Last edited:
Also if the game runs well, this could be a better alternative to the Intel fix, since the games after storm engine 2, do run properly on Intel graphics cards.

In addition believe this engine doesn't have the character model file size limitation, so i could retry adding Geralt's model from the Witcher 1.

If the game runs correctly, that is.

Last edited:
Also if the game runs well, this could be a better alternative to the Intel fix, since the games after storm engine 2, do run properly on Intel graphics cards.

In addition believe this engine doesn't have the character model file size limitation, so i could retry adding Geralt's model from the Witcher 1.

If the game runs correctly, that is.

I should take that link down, for a couple reasons.

First, it is very old and much has changed in the engine since then; bug fixes, newer FMOD, newer Visual Studio and C++ runtimes, etc.

Second, the stuff there was only to provide pedrwyth with some fixes/updates from the version I had provided him for testing and is incomplete because he already had a base to start from; the link downloads don't have the resources and using the ones from PA!'s version won't work because some of the .ini and resource files had to be either changed/moved to enable POTC/NH to work properly and again, pedrwyth already had those changes in-hand when I have that small update in that MEGA link you found. That download is incomplete, won't work with the standard NH stuff even if you copy it in, and probably won't run even if you get the NH free resource/script download I have on itch.io because I've made too many changes to the engine concerning script messages that an old version is incompatible now without the matching, newer engine.

The current way to get the engine and all the mod flavors it runs, is from itch.io. There has been no alternative since about November 2018, when I grandfathered in the 'Reef crowd with gratuitous keys for the revamped engine and made all the versions public.

There is the old 32 bit, running the original DX8, but with all engine bug fixes applied, 32 bit DX9 (upgrade from the original cd version that ran DX8) and 64 bit DX9.

You are correct that the character model limitation is gone and I doubt the "Intel thing" is an issue because I've heard no feedback that it is a problem and in fact I run it on a generic Intel graphic card.

Back