• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Horizons in Maelstorm (2.8)

now, the game starts and I think the game tries to actually switch on the lanterns, but cant for the following error:

Code:
RUNTIME ERROR - file: sea_ai\AIShip.c; line: 898
missed attribute: lights
no rAP data
What does the section of code that refers to look like?
On which line is the error?

I dont exactly know where I should define the missing attribute? Also, what exactly means no rAP data?
Not sure what "rAP" means; but I seem to remember that you always get that one in addition to the "missed attribute" error.

Some attributes are not set through code; but read from the locators in the GMs.
And I know for islands those are read at the start of the game; and not "on the fly".
Perhaps there is still some code missing to tell the game to search for "lights" locators for the ship models?
Maybe try searching the CoAS PROGRAM folder for "lights" and see if there is any reference to that in the "Ships" subfolder, for example?

now, the game starts and I think the game tries to actually switch on the lanterns, but cant for the following error:

Code:
missed attribute: lights
no rAP data

I don't exactly know where I should define the missing attribute? Also, what exactly means no rAP data?

Reviewing the NH code, it is the sea.lights attribute. As for what rAP stands for, my guess is (r)eference (A)ttribute (P)ointer.

Upon further review of the NH code, both weather.lights need to be defined for each hour, and the piece to copy them to the sea.lights attribute need to be added. That code from COAS resides in function WhrCreateSeaEnvironment() in Weather/WhrSea.c and the Weather/init/Day.c, Evening.c, Night.c, Rain.c, etc. files; I believe the corresponding Weather array is in Weather/Init/WhrInitValues.c.

Reviewing the NH code, it is the sea.lights attribute. As for what rAP stands for, my guess is (r)eference (A)ttribute (P)ointer.

Upon further review of the NH code, both weather.lights need to be defined for each hour, and the piece to copy them to the sea.lights attribute need to be added. That code from COAS resides in function WhrCreateSeaEnvironment() in Weather/WhrSea.c and the Weather/init/Day.c, Evening.c, Night.c, Rain.c, etc. files; I believe the corresponding Weather array is in Weather/Init/WhrInitValues.c.

Uhm, was the NH-Weather/init/ taken from GOF at some time? Because this line:
Code:
    Weathers[n].Lights = 1;
already exists in the right Weather/init/ -files with the right value (if I get this right, this tells the game for which weather/daytime the lights should be on)

So I actually just added this piece of code now in the NH WhrSea.c:

Code:
    Sea.Lights = aCurWeather.Lights;

Do you want to see something really FKING cool?
20201006185217_1.jpg
20201006185222_1.jpg

QkCdQB1

Uhm, was the NH-Weather/init/ taken from GOF at some time? Because this line:
Code:
Weathers[n].Lights = 1;
already exists in the right Weather/init/ -files with the right value (if I get this right, this tells the game for which weather/daytime the lights should be on)
Not that I am aware...

PotC DOES have lights, though. But only ashore.
Could it be that the attribute is there on shore; but not at sea?

You could try to do a DumpAttributes(aCurWeather) to see if it matches with something related to the Weather init files.

Amazingly, most of your New Horizons Ship Models apparently already had the locators all the time :)

Next steps:

Fixing the nodes / bones in animation view to let your char-models match the GOF animations:dance

Then I will try to parce all updated code into the 2.8 version and see what happens

If that is done, I will look into the failing code for the nation "grabbing" for the sail-ho messages and sail emblems

Then I will see, if the full melee combat system can be implemented into NH (with stamina and weapon classes light, medium, heavy)

@ChezJfrey thanks a lot for your help mate!

Amazingly, most of your New Horizons Ship Models apparently already had the locators all the time :)
Wait a moment, the frigate on the second screenshot of post #24 has lantern locators?!

IT DOES! :woot
Even on normal NH.
upload_2020-10-6_21-6-17.png

@The Nameless Pirate Yes most of the bigger added ships (and even some modified vanilla ones) appear to have locators. Most smaller ships I saw so far didn't have any.

@pedrwyth Ahhh yes I see.

For some strange reason, under specific weather circumstances, the lights stay off.

Also the update-code unfortunally doesn't work, it generated no error but I doesn't do anything either. Problem is, that there is no

Code:
void Whr_UpdateWeatherHour()

at all in original NH code, so I added it in WhrWeather.c but well, I guess I didn't add it right

So.. with which tool I could add locators the easiest way? I guess GMViewer can only, like the name says, view the GM files, not edit them, right?

EDIT: nvm, found it in Maya 5.0

For me the easiest way to add locators is by far using the Inez Dias Tool.

GM Viewer can indeed view models, and export to OBJ.

Can you give me some kind of tutorial for the TOOL? It doesnt load textures or locators for me, just a blank white model:

tool.PNG

To load textures you will need to convert the model's textures to TGA.

For this you use this tool: http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/Cloud/Tools/Modeling+Texturing/TX Convertor.zip

So for editing the locators, you go to the "View" tab, and there is a locators option.
You can also write to a file and read from a file, this is under the "Locators" tab.

To see where exactly on the model the new locator is I just save the model, and open it in GM Viewer.

In addition I there are some tutorials from what I remember in the "Help" tab.

so I can't move the locator in the tool in 3D and need to "guess" where the correct position could be, and then check it in GMViewer how close I was?

If I try to read a locator from a file, the app crashes

EDIT: some models cant be opened with TOOL, tho.. too bad, unfortunally the Dutchman is within, so she will probably never get lanterns :/

Last edited:
Well.. besides the models that dont work at all in TOOL, this isnt too hard.. Just added lanterns for the barques, brigs and our Black Pearl Models (hey, why are they different to the Wicked Wench?! :p )

Result is acceptable imo and took about 5 minutes for each model:

20201006235602_1.jpg 20201006235550_1.jpg

so I can't move the locator in the tool in 3D and need to "guess" where the correct position could be, and then check it in GMViewer how close I was?
Yep, you will get the hang of it.
You can use the coordinates of other close locators to make placing them easier.

If I try to read a locator from a file, the app crashes
You don't read the locators from a GM model, bit from a text file.
If you want to easily copy them all from another ship, open that ship and write to a file.
Then open the ship you wanted to edit and read the locators from the file you made.

EDIT: some models cant be opened with TOOL, tho.. too bad, unfortunally the Dutchman is within, so she will probably never get lanterns :/
There is a way to edit them with the TOOL.

This thread talks about updates to .net framework causing the problem.

“Model could not be read” bug in “Tool”

I have an old XP machine and although I no longer use it connected to the outside world I didn't want to downgrade its .net with the uncertainty of upgrading again without connecting online. However I also have an old millenium laptop (hey I even have win 95 and 98 on plug in drives for it but they don't support usb) to which I took the current lineship1.gm and tool. I had to download .net framework 1.1 (there is a link in the help file - which gives an self-installer) for tool to work on Millenium but it then loaded the gm and I could read the locators.

So in summary confirmation that Tool will still read that model (and presumably the others that it refuses) on an old enough configuration. The thread also suggest a virtual machine with xp and net 1.1.

Success!

View attachment 37361

You need to use an older version of VirtualBox to get it working properly, as 3D acceleration is not supported in Windows XP in the latest version.
Version 5.2.44 works for me.

If you want help with finding Windows XP PM me.

Well.. besides the models that dont work at all in TOOL, this isnt too hard.. Just added lanterns for the barques, brigs and our Black Pearl Models
Good job! :onya

hey, why are they different to the Wicked Wench?! :p
You will have to copy the values from the Wicked Wench if you want them 100% the same.

Result is acceptable imo and took about 5 minutes for each model:

Yep looks good. :yes

Any ships that were made for AoP/CoAS (t00) would've had them, I imagine.
And since they do no harm, we never bothered removing them for PotC. :wp

Wait a moment, the frigate on the second screenshot of post #24 has lantern locators?!

IT DOES! :woot
Even on normal NH.
That's an @Armada creation. ;)

Yes most of the bigger added ships (and even some modified vanilla ones) appear to have locators. Most smaller ships I saw so far didn't have any.
Many mod-added ships are on the larger size.
Could be that the smaller ones you're looking at are from the stock game?

Also the update-code unfortunally doesn't work, it generated no error but I doesn't do anything either. Problem is, that there is no

Code:
void Whr_UpdateWeatherHour()
at all in original NH code, so I added it in WhrWeather.c but well, I guess I didn't add it right
What is that function for? Where does it come from?

Can you give me some kind of tutorial for the TOOL? It doesnt load textures or locators for me, just a blank white model:
Have a look here: Tutorials
There is one "Locators with the TOOL" by @Jack Rackham, for example.

Basically, yes.
It never ceases to amaze me how people like @Hylie Pistof and @Grey Roger did SO much locator work on ships, through basically trial-and-error.

It doesnt load textures
You have to create a folder with .tga versions of the textures you are interested in.
Open the file VrmllmExporter in the TOOL's folder.
Point to your .tga folder in line 2.
Here's an example from my VrmllmExporter:

Code:
C:\POTC NH\Game 6104 20-09-02
C:\Modding Tools\Characters tga
chkAddX=True
chkAddToScene=False
chkDropLocations=False
AutoSetTextureDir=False
chkReverseNormals=True
chkChangeYZ=False

Back