• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Currency Mod: Pieces of Eight

Harrow

Freelance Modder
Storm Modder
New Currency Mod: Pieces of Eight

:shoot: I finally finished the mod! :shoot:

After a good four hours of sitting, brainstorming, researching, debating, text-file filtering and win-merging.. I did it.
I have finished the total conversion of the old currency: "Piasters" into the new, historically correct, currency: "Pieces of eight" ! :cheers

A lot of credit goes to Officerpuppy for his Pieces of eight mod(the start of this pain-in-the-ass mod) and of course to Firebat for his ideas.
They both gave me a lot of inspiration as to the creation of the mod.

On other threads you can see we are still debating over what currency we should employ to change the piasters but I went on and chose pieces of eight, since Firebat, myself AND Officerpuppy all wanted that in the first place.
I hope you'll enjoy the mod.

There are three versions: Vanilla, CMv2 and CMv3.
It's all explained in the "Info" text file, if you aren't familiar with modding your COAS.

Download Links:
Filefront
*It is also available in the FTP, under the "James IronHook" folder OR the "CoAS_Mods" folder.

P.S.
I know I make a big deal out of this mod but it really was, I must admit, one of the most boring things to do.. to search in each and every dialog file(over a hundred of them) and replace each "piaster" word with "pieces of eight".

NOTE:
This is included in the Gentelmen of Fortune! v1.2 Full Release.

I just added this mod to the game, and i am completly impress 36 files or more to change, and a completly seemless mod...no glitches that i can see..
Well done Mate
....i wish i could get my mod to work as well as yours....and i only have 6 or so files to fix....

Again, an upstanding job! It bring so much more realism to things.

I just added this mod to the game, and i am completly impress 36 files or more to change, and a completly seemless mod...no glitches that i can see..
Well done Mate
....i wish i could get my mod to work as well as yours....and i only have 6 or so files to fix....

It's nice to see my work wasn't for nothing :blah:

By the way, will this, or can it be, added to the CMv3?

Well done Mate

It's nice to see my work wasn't for nothing :blah:

By the way, will this, or can it be, added to the CMv3?

I believe OP has already included it into what work he's doing, i can't say for sure he hasn't said anything about it. I think we are almost done with what we wanted to do the CMV3 Final which we hope to release soon. :onya

Yeah about that, I asked around but I couldn't find anyone that knows the password to the COAS CMv3 zipfile, the main one..
I'd like to check it out to see if I can spot any bugs that I can fix.

The paswword is for internal use only, we have been bug testing for a while now and any bugs found have been noted and fixed or to be fixed i know only of a cannon bug which prevents you from removing cannons mounted on some ships will not be fixed yet but thats because we require a ship modeler to look at the ships in question, all the ships are been compiled together so when a ship modeler does find time to look at them he/she'll not have to go searching for them other than that i think every bug has been fixed. :onya

Yes I know but I saw that you guys wanted to change the name "Holland" to "United Provinces" am I right?
I can go through all the dialog files and do that for you, I did it once.. (And yes it will be compatible with the pieces of eight mod)

Yes I know but I saw that you guys wanted to change the name "Holland" to "United Provinces" am I right?
I can go through all the dialog files and do that for you, I did it once.. (And yes it will be compatible with the pieces of eight mod)
That would be great too. Tho it may sound a bit long, "Republic of the United Provinces" (Republiek der Zeven Verenigde Provinciën)

"Republic of the United Provinces completely out performed all expectations; it was a surprise to many that a nation, not based on the church or on a single royal leader, could be so successful. This time period is known in the Netherlands as the Golden Age. The Dutch dominated world trade in the 17th century, conquering a vast colonial empire and operating the largest fleet of merchantmen of all western nations. The County of Holland was the wealthiest and most urbanized region of Europe."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Republic

I wonder if this means that the dutch colonies in the caribbean were a bit richer that what they are made out to be in COAS

Once CMv3 is released, if you could do the UP changes, that would be appreciated. I'll definitely put it in a future patch. You will receive credit for your contribution.

Once CMv3 is released, if you could do the UP changes, that would be appreciated. I'll definitely put it in a future patch. You will receive credit for your contribution.
You mean make "NCM: Pieces of Eight" compatible with the CMv3 that will be released, and you'll add that to the next patch?
If so, yeah no problem. :onya

I was referring to this, if you could make the dialog changes and replace Holland with the UP, plus make it compatible with the NCM. I would like to include this in a future patch for CMv3.

I prefer you wait until we release to the public before making any changes to any of the Beta files you may have d/l. Although unlikely, files may have been changed or modified since those patches in regards to dialogs and I prefer everyone to be on the same page once the CMv3 goes public.

I was referring to this, if you could make the dialog changes and replace Holland with the UP, plus make it compatible with the NCM. I would like to include this in a future patch for CMv3.

I prefer you wait until we release to the public before making any changes to any of the Beta files you may have d/l. Although unlikely, files may have been changed or modified since those patches in regards to dialogs and I prefer everyone to be on the same page once the CMv3 goes public.

Gotcha. :onya

Back