• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Navy Ranks

Aerilon

Powder Monkey
Hiho,

i wanted to edit the ranks you get by the Royal and the US Navy. In another topic somebody asked which ranks are available and somebody answered him to look in ...PROGRAM/NK.c
I found the ranks in this file and thought "Nice, why not edit them!?" I did, but it seems it has no effect in the game. For example i changed the rank "Sarge" by the US Navy to "Ensign". But in the game when i get my promotion it is still "Sarge". So where do i have to look to make a correct edit?
Or for example in the Royal Navy the rank of an Lieutenant Commander is completely missing.
If i am allowed to leave a constructive criticism:
I would name the ranks for US and Royal Navy as the following:
Royal Navy:
Midshipman
2nd Lieutenant (or Sub-Lieutenant which is currently the rank between Midshipman and Lieutenant in the Royal between, but i don't know since when his rank exist)
Lieutenant
Lieutenant Commander (this one is completely missing)
Commander
Captain
Commodore
Rear Admiral
Vice Admiral
Admiral
First Lord of the Admiralty

US Navy:
Ensign
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant
Lieutenant Commander
Commander
Captain
Commodore
Rear Admiral
Vice Admiral
Admiral
Fleet Admiral
and the very dedicated player can become the SecNav :D

And furthermore i'm asking me if the Royal Navy is the only navy in the game where i get cool uniforms for promotions?!
I guess the other uniforms and not yet included? But however...how can i make that i get the same uniforms for promotions in other navies? It might not be correct to walk around in a british commander dress when i am in the spanish navy, but better a wrong uniform then no uniform :D

Ok so far for now....good evening! :)

Any improvement to make these ranks more accurate is great! :yes
Have you tried pressing F11 in-game, and then going to another location? That should force your code changes to work.

The nation rank names are in PROGRAM\NATIONS\nations_init.c; the code in NK.c is merely "comments" and are not used at all.
If you rename any ranks, be sure to also update RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\common.ini .

As for the uniforms, I never finished the "GivePromotionReward" function and, even so, not all nations have uniform models.
However, if you want to add to that function, by all means go ahead! That function IS in PROGRAM\NK.c . :yes

Ok i found the file in the nations folder, and now i wanna change the common.ini file.

There it says (for instance)
string = Sarge,"Sarge"

So if i want that instead of Sarge it is Ensign (Really guys!? Sarge??? This is the navy, not the army! :p )

is it then
string = Ensign, "Ensign"
or
string = Sarge,"Ensign"
or
string = Ensign,"Sarge"

???

And about the models...why not just use the british navy models but then in different colours for the different nations. Make it White for france, orange for the oranjes, green for portugal, black for the pirates, yellow for the spanish, blue is already for the british and for the US maybe another blue....maybe darker or maybe a brighter blue.

Oh and what about female uniforms? do they exist? because i haven't played with Beatrice Devlin yet.....but on the other hand there were no women in the navies back in those days :-/

The British, French, and Spanish Navies already give you uniforms with promotions. The others do not as far as I can remember.

Ah....okay....but yet Portugal, The Netherlands and the United States don't give uniforms.
So...if somebody tells me where the model files are and which program i need to edit them, I'll try to make some uniforms for them, and even if it's just existing uniforms in other colors :D
I want them!!! :D

The model files are in RESOURCE \ Models \ Characters

You need GM Viewer to view them -- and Maya ( I think ) to edit them

Some nations don't have uniforms yet; somebody'd have to make them.
There's no female uniforms either.

When you get to... I'm currently serving french, when you get to captain de frigate your ship changes, I'm using a schooner, it became a flushdeck frigate then an officer appears at the room ( the residence) but he has a ship when you look at F2 you will see that your ship is new (the flushdeck frigate) and your past ship was now in the hands of your new officer, but when you go to your ship and to sea the new officer is just sailing on a hmmm i think a schooner. One time when I'm serving england as jack aubrey the surprise at the time of the promotion had 80 guns. maybe a bug because its meant to give you a higher ship but not higher than a flushdeck frigate. Sorry I can't explain elaborately im not good in english :D can someone shed light on this?

Aye, you will be wanting to read this thread. http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/16529-nations-ranks-new-ideas/ :mm

When you reach a certain rank you will receive a reward ship and officer. That mod isn't quite finished and can be buggy. It is a good idea that when you think you are getting close to that rank to "save" before entering the governor's mansion. :wp I have been known to berth ships and be sailing a tartane when I walk in there. :nerbz

Aye, you will be wanting to read this thread. http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/16529-nations-ranks-new-ideas/ :mm

When you reach a certain rank you will receive a reward ship and officer. That mod isn't quite finished and can be buggy. It is a good idea that when you think you are getting close to that rank to "save" before entering the governor's mansion. :wp I have been known to berth ships and be sailing a tartane when I walk in there. :nerbz

Oh so you and rum are the pioneers on this :onya still on page 5 of that thread, and still reading about coding hope its not too much for me :D

A drop o' rum was doing the coding. I was just the test monkey. It would be nice to see that mod finished. :cheers

Back