• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Naval/Privateer Promotion Steps

What names were they given?
I have now the rank"Capitane de Vaisseau". The promotions works fine. My officers:
officer.PNG

officers.PNG

Officers given during the game can easily be givenappropriate models and get correct nation names too.
It is only the start new game ones that aren't right.
That is why I'm proposing to generate those on the same way as the ingame promotion ones for all nations other than England.
That should resolve the issue.

What names were they given?
For nation-correct officers given on game start, try attached file in PROGRAM\Storyline\BraveBlackFlag and see if that is any better.
I had to move the officer generation until AFTER the location had been loaded, resulting in a rather crowded opening scene.
That was required to ensure the random generation actually works properly. Hopefully I can still address that later, but I've ran out of time for now.
In any case, as far as I can tell, this does work and you won't be stuck with English officers anymore if you're actually a Frenchman.

Attachments

• StartStoryline.zip
    5 KB · Views: 100
I got a lot of the French names from here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_French_Navy_ship_names.

A Capitaine de Corvette in "Colonial Powers" gets the grand schooner Indiscret. The grand schooner is a type of xebec, the French navy really did have a few xebecs in service at that time, one of which was indeed the Indiscret.

And since making up names for ships was one of the hard parts of this project, I did have a bit of fun. You'll also find Le Cochon Noir (translates to The Black Pig - French Captain Pugwash?) and Duc de la Guerre, alias Duck of War (alright, "Duc" really translates to "Duke", but near enough. xD) And although I resisted the temptation to name something D'Artagnan, the Comte de Tréville is a character from "The Three Musketeers", not from history. I also had to call something Magicienne, the name of the ex-French ship which you get briefly in the "Hornblower" storyline, though it's not the same type of ship.

Anyway, now that France is confirmed to be working correctly, I can copy its entire block to one of the other nations, then change ranks, ship types and ship names appropriately - this should be slightly easier than converting Britain's code to France as there are no specific named characters who need to be deleted from the code. So now I just need to decide which nation is next...

An added note there is that Holland and Portugal are a bit different from the other nations.
This is because they don't have ships larger than Tier 3 in Early Explorers and Napoleonic.
Not entirely sure how you will need to treat that, but if you use the Select Storyline filters then you will notice this effect.

That may explain why Holland's ranks go:
7: Kapitein ter zee (British Commodore)
8: Commandeur (British Rear Admiral)
9: Schout-bij-Nacht (British Vice Admiral)
10: Vice-Admiraal (British Admiral)
11: Luitenant-Admiraal (rank 11 no longer used)
12: Admiraal (rank 12 no longer used)

Or do Dutch officers go to ranks 11 and 12, while others stop at 10?

According to this table, Luitenant-Admiraal should be the equivalent to British Admiral or French Amiral, which are rank 10 in "Nk.c". (Having said that, I'm just going by what the comment lines in "Nk.c" say, I've no idea what rank names actually show up for characters at rank 10.)

Anyway, at the moment you get additional ships at ranks 7 and 10. If the Dutch can't get the equivalent to the other navies' big battlewagons then rank 8 or 9 can get another additional ship and we'll need to think of something else nice to give rank 9 or 8 (whichever one didn't get the additional ship).

Any suggestions for names for Dutch ships? (If you suggest "Vliegender Nederlander", I'm liable to make it happen at rank 10. xD)

The actual rank names are defined in PROGRAM\NATIONS\nations_init.c but someone recently updated NK.c to match so that should all be correct.
Indeed it looks like the Dutch rank names aren't quite in line with the English ones, but I don't think that is much of an issue.
While that is not intentional to match with the occasional "Tier 3" limitation, it might actually help you there.

That being said, the Dutch have got 12 ranks in total, just like all other nations.

The "Seven Provincien" was Michiel de Ruyter's flagship.
Other famous names are "Amsterdam", "Batavia" and "Halve Maen", but I think those were mainly merchant ships.
There are a bunch of current names here: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lijst_van_scheepsklassen_van_de_Nederlandse_marine
Some are based on historical ones, but many of them are too recent to work for the game.

Any suggestions for names for Dutch ships? (If you suggest "Vliegender Nederlander", I'm liable to make it happen at rank 10. xD)
"Vliegende Hollander" would be proper Dutch name for the Flying Dutchman.
Not entirely sure about the historical spelling. "Flieghende" would be German. Perhaps "Vlieghende" or something like that?

No idea. I just put "Flying" and "Dutchman" into Google Translate. Besides, it's no longer such a joke on the rest of us non-Dutch speaking types now you've told everyone what it means. ;)

Amsterdam is already taken, it's used by the in-game character with the same name as you! Batavia has possibilities, especially for earlier periods when it is not linked to the Batavian Republic.

More serious problem: there are rather fewer Dutch costumes available and no Dutch equivalents of "brtlut1_18", "brtcpt1_18" etc. I reckon you'll need to pick something to suit yourself at the start of the game, then you're stuck with that choice unless you actively buy yourself a new outfit; I can't find anything suitable to force onto a Dutch lieutenant, captain or admiral.

Last edited:
More serious problem: there are rather fewer Dutch costumes available and no Dutch equivalents of "brtlut1_18", "brtcpt1_18" etc. I reckon you'll need to pick something to suit yourself at the start of the game, then you're stuck with that choice unless you actively buy yourself a new outfit; I can't find anything suitable to force onto a Dutch lieutenant, captain or admiral.
Indeed only a few nations have uniforms and Holland isn't one of them.
I used "Gherarde_De_Jongh" for the opening scene Dutch admiral, but I don't think that is a very good player model.
So you can just skip over the uniforms for now. You can't use what isn't there. :shrug

@Grey Roger: If at all possible, do you reckon you could find a famous historical character and use various ships he was known to sail on?
Then if we can find an appropriate character model and portrait to go with him, we can create some non-English pre-defined navy characters.
While gameplay for the other nations is/will be available, we still have dozens of English (navy) characters and none for the other nations.

Two sources for Michiel De Ruyter:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michiel_de_Ruyter
http://threedecks.org/index.php?display_type=show_crewman&id=16889

Putting those together, I get:
Den Grauwen Heynst - some sort of privateer
Groene Leuw - possibly a whaler (he wasn't commander, he was navigating officer)
Vlissinge - some sort of merchant
Haas - hired vessel, 26 guns, 180 tonnes burthen
Salamander - his own private ship, some sort of merchant
Kleine Neptunis - at Battle of Plymouth, 6th rate, 28 guns
Prinses Louise - at Battle of Kentish Knock, fourth rate, 40 guns
Witte Lam - hired ship, 34 guns
Gekroonde Liefde - fifth rate, 24 guns
Huijs te Kruiningen - third rate, 58 guns
Huijs de Zwieten - third rate, 60 guns
Tijdverdrijf - third rate ship of the line, 52 guns
Spiegel - second rate ship of the line, 70 guns
Hollandia - first rate ship of the line, 80 guns

Groene Leuw, Vlissinge and Salamander can be left out. Prinses Louise is not confirmed by threedecks.org and spoils the progression anyway, so leave that out. That leaves 10 ships, which just happens to be how many ranks I have to fill. :)

Incidentally, not only does that give us a non-English historical character, it gives us a historical character that isn't in the "Revolutions" or "Napolenic" time periods. Michiel De Ruyter fits neatly into "Spanish Main".

See attached for a new file for the PROGRAM\Storyline\BraveBlackFlag folder.
This contains a fair few changes for the navy game start, most notably that your navy rank is linked to your character model.
So if you choose a midshipman model, you'll be a midshipman. But if you choose an admiral, you will indeed be an admiral.
The officers given are now dynamic and match properly with your rank. And the code is at least a bit less messy than the previous version.... :wp

Attachments

• StartStoryline.zip
    5.3 KB · Views: 103
See attached for a new file for the PROGRAM\Storyline\BraveBlackFlag folder.
This contains a fair few changes for the navy game start, most notably that your navy rank is linked to your character model.
So if you choose a midshipman model, you'll be a midshipman. But if you choose an admiral, you will indeed be an admiral.
The officers given are now dynamic and match properly with your rank. And the code is at least a bit less messy than the previous version.... :wp

I tried Your zip. Cant see the difference, I choose an admiral uniform, but im still a midshipman.

This file was mainly for @Grey Roger so he can see the code changes.
To actually work, it needs some extra files that I'll post soon.
Still want to make some more tweaks tomorrow for the other player types.

Looking at the bottom of the new "StartStoryline.c" for "Brave Black Flag", there's some additional code starting with "switch(sti(pchar.nation))" which only has a case for England. It then defaults to generating generic random officers dependent on nationality, then while still inside that "switch" bracket there's another "switch(sti(pchar.nation))" which gives Spain a free specific midshipman and gives everyone else a random midshipman. After that it seems to set your rank to 1, which is midshipman or equivalent. And there's nothing specific to France, though that's the only nation other than England for which I currently have a full set of promotion rewards in "Nk.c". I'll maybe give it a try just to see if it behaves according to how I think I've read the code, but at the moment my main programming focus is on filling out Holland's promotion ships and my main playing focus is the "Bartolomeu" storyline.

As far as I can tell, that code does do what I think it should for the most part.
Is that based on the version I posted yesterday? It sounds like you describe the version of a few days ago.

Only Spain and England have a designated Midshipman model.
The rank that is set to 1 should be that midshipman's and not the player's.

Anyway, I have thought of a new trick that I am now trying.
Instead of basically putting half the NK.c code into StartStoryline.c as well, I'm trying to make it use the actual NK.c function instead.
Means we need to repeatedly promote the player upon game start and this does make things a bit more complicated.
But would ensure it happens as intended and prevents double code too.

I'll maybe give it a try just to see if it behaves according to how I think I've read the code, but at the moment my main programming focus is on filling out Holland's promotion ships and my main playing focus is the "Bartolomeu" storyline.
Fair enough; just thought I'd show you what I've been up to.... :wp

Back