• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Naval Careers

AJB

Landlubber
Hi,

Could someone please explain how the Naval/privateer system works in the game; can you gain rank, land, money? or are you just a privateer with no rank gaining?

Thanks

Well, you could do it either way. :huh

As a true privateer you gain wealth only. :2guns

Or you can obtain a Letter of Marque from a governor. :p3 Then as you sink or capture enemies of that governor he rewards you with rank, money, and land. :j2 You could build your own empire!

Reminds me a bit of:
magnets2.jpg

Reminds me a bit of:
magnets2.jpg

HAHAHA WTF?

So.. you can obtain ranks in England's royal navy in the Hornblower storyline. You will raise there from Mid-shipman to the rank of Commander and in later versions Post-Captain.
I don't really know what the mean or do, but having a good rank with countries lets you resupply at naval bases like England's Antigua for cheap and obtain VERY expensive good for free!! and how much you want.. So best go buy that precious Letter Of Marque..

Good luck :sail

Thanks for the reply, I just wondered if you had seperate ranks for being a privateer/and or working for pirate lords or something. Is England the only nation that has proper named ranks? So far I've just played quests and haven't tried doing normal honest pirating or working for the navy :sail

I don't know if England is the only nation with proper ranks but she has a VERY valuble to have access to naval base - Antigua. I'm not sure if the other nations have naval bases.

You could take the famous Henry Morgan's way of being a pirate and gaining great ranks amongst the nations.. By buying Letters Of Marque you could be in great favor of at 2/3 nations.. Sadly, the others will hate the day you were born.. But that is the life of a pirate HAHAHA!!

You can buy a Letter of Marque from any nations' governors (except the pirates).
When you do, you'll gain points for attacking enemies of theirs.
If you talk occasionally to the governor again, you'll gain promotions.
Promotions bring land (which give wealth) and occasionally you might get a promotional blade or a uniform as well.
Eventually you might be introduced to a daughter or niece of the governor too. :wub

Every nation has proper ranks, but only England has a navy base and a naval storyline (the Hornblower one).

Ah fantastic, I'm glad you can gain income from land :onya

p.s. just a suggestion, do you think it might be possible one day to have a smuggling career/pirate whereby you can gain ranks (but with a sort of pirate base to operate from-I know there are ones already) I suppose a sort of pirate and summglers guild would be good. I know the Mod team have a lot to do already though :hmm

Thanks for the reply

One thing I have been wondering about is: Can you do anything with your personal money and land? The land generates money that just sits there. Rank generates mistresses and wives. It looks like there is a doorway to a whole other level of game play involving business and politics in a Machiavelian style. Or am I hallucinating again? :rumgone

One thing I have been wondering about is: Can you do anything with your personal money and land? The land generates money that just sits there. Rank generates mistresses and wives. It looks like there is a doorway to a whole other level of game play involving business and politics in a Machiavelian style. Or am I hallucinating again? :rumgone

I like your idea.

I don't think that its that complicated, I could make a few conversation's that open up when you get to a certain rank, store keepers, tavern keepers, shipwrights and etc will talk to you more "respectfully".
One more thing we could make for the game is, if a certain nation is hostile to you, you could suggest to your nation(where you have the high rank) war with the hostile one or maybe ask to "loan" an able captain with a strong ship to serve under you for the time you have enemies...

This sounds like a great idea, opens up a whole mafia style monopolisation of private land and wealth. Having you own pirate gang would be awesome too. :whipa

Ok I will start a topic about this in the Brainstorming section soon.
Please, come, help, pillage if you want.. :keith

Can't we do an option when a high promotion gives you a ship? or a very good officer?
Very easily even. Just add some lines in PROGRAM\NK.c in the GivePromotionReward function.
However, putting a GiveShip2Character line in there will lose you your current ship, which you may not want to.
If we have to give the choice, we'd need to update ALL the governor dialogs seperately. Would be cool though.

p.s. just a suggestion, do you think it might be possible one day to have a smuggling career/pirate whereby you can gain ranks (but with a sort of pirate base to operate from-I know there are ones already) I suppose a sort of pirate and summglers guild would be good. I know the Mod team have a lot to do already though
IS it possible? In one word: yes.
The main issue here is that it requires someone to do it, so unless you find someone, it probably won't happen any time soon.

One thing I have been wondering about is: Can you do anything with your personal money and land? The land generates money that just sits there. Rank generates mistresses and wives. It looks like there is a doorway to a whole other level of game play involving business and politics in a Machiavelian style. Or am I hallucinating again?
At the moment, your money gives you wealth which makes you more famous in the game.
However, fame doesn't actually do much. I very much agree there's a lot of untapped potential here. However, the applies as above. :facepalm

Back