• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Natural Disasters Improvement

Peter Blood

Privateer
I am a big fan of the natural disasters in the game like the storms and Tornados, but I actually had some ideas for some other ones to make the experience realistic. I don't know how we would go about creating them (it would take a lot of effects and much coding), but here are some suggestions

Tornados that cause damage on land

Larger storms like Hurricanes (that can create a surge on land)

tsunamis

earthquakes

volcanic eruptions

Meteor Showers (that could create tsunamis potentially)

landslides

plagues

What do you want to damage on land?

Anyway, I don't think there's much of that we can add. Other than a text message saying: "A meteorite has hit your ship; it is now sinking. Have fun in your lifeboat!"

About the tsunami, it's possible for a quest to increase the sea height of a location.
About volcanic eruptions, I think it's possible to change the water color in red to make it lava and swamp a location.
About earthquakes, the only thing possible should be moving the Pchar many times in a few seconds to give the idea the soil is unstable.
About meteor, I think when a cannonball falls into the sea, it makes a big water jet. For the meteor, the water jet could be bigger...

The meteor could be the stimulant of the tsunami, but the way you make the tsunami sound, it can only be done in quests. I guess that is fine as I was thinking of having a tsunami occur at some point in mine. Another thing: How could we make a realistic tornado on land. Is it possible to make debris?

Another thing: How could we make a realistic tornado on land. Is it possible to make debris?
Well, the tornado on land already exists but you want to know how to create one through a quest, right?
In my case, I don't know... Maybe Pieter knows? :shrug

About the debris, if I remember, when a tornado crosses a ship, you can see many debris. (Check the intro video of the Bartolomeu Main quest for instance).
Now, adding specific debris to a tornado, I still don't know. :facepalm

Finally, I noted in Models\locations\upgrades many buildings destroyed that could be used in a quest to show a town destroyed by a natural disaster.

By raising the sealevel for the tsunami, would it actually look like a wall of water, or more like a stormsurge?

Raising the sea level is going to look like the swamps on... what island was it again?

Having a tornado visible on land shouldn't be much of an issue. Then you can add various particle effects for extra mayhem.

What I mean by "raising the water" is if it can actually happen in real time. FOr instance, lets say that Humberto is standing on the beach looking out at sea, then I decide to raise the water. What will it look like happening?

Don't think it can be done in realtime. In fact, I think you'd need to reload from one location model to another with the water level at a different value. That's not going to be smooth whichever way you put it. :facepalm

Back