• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

National relations

Exido

Landlubber
Hi guys!
I have simply question- is there any possibility to change national relations to our hero, excluding fight with enemy ships? I mean bribe somebody maybe?=D Atm i am hostile to almost every nation in game(not with pirates) and i really don't know how i achieved this =/

Thanks for answer, best regards

There are two options (AFAIK), you can go to the pirate settlement on Nevis, there's a diplomat in the tavern that you can bribe to fix relations, or you can go to a governer of a hostile nation and bribe them (to get to a governer, you either have to get into a port with a false flag, or land on a shore and go through the jungle, otherwise the fort is going to blow you to bits).

Re: How you achieved it: If you attack a ship of one nation, all allies of that nation also become hostile. So you only have to attack one English ship and one Spanish ship and everyone already hates you.

You can also go to the Governor at Grand Turks and bribe him, but the individual governors are less expensive.

On a side note, do nation's relations ever change? My game is 2 years old in game time and none of them have changed relations.

i really don't know how i achieved this
Check your Ship's Log Interface. There should be an account of all battles you've been in.
There should also be a note in there if your relations deteriorated badly due to your actions.
So hopefully that will provide a clue on what happened and why.

On a side note, do nation's relations ever change? My game is 2 years old in game time and none of them have changed relations.
Depends on the Storyline. In Free Play, they should definitely change.
A few other storylines, such as Hornblower (actually, that may be the only one...), also enable random relations after the main quest has completed.

Oh. I'm playing the main storyline so that means that they don't change at all?

How do letters of marque and ranks change relations? It didn't change anything some time ago but maybe it does now.

I'm playing the main storyline so that means that they don't change at all?
Changing nation relations could and probably would mess up the main quest, so they're disabled.
But I could give you a console command to enable it anyway. ;)

How do letters of marque and ranks change relations?
Relations between nations will not change regardless of that, of course.
But having a LoM does massively affect your own relations.
If you capture/sink any non-pirate ship without having a LoM that says you can do that, then it is a "disrespectable act".
Keep that up and eventually you'll be marked a Pirate.
So you really do need a LoM if you want to take any profit from any sea battles.
Either that, or deliberately do become a Pirate; that is of course an option too. ;)

Having a Rank makes no difference; that's just you making progress in the world.

This is in addition to what @Caylus said about Alliances.
If you upset a nation, then you also upset their allies.
This makes "Friendly" quite different from "Neutral".

In theory, these are a few fairly simple bits of logic.
But put together in a dynamic game world, it makes for potentially quite complex gameplay.
Especially when you throw Manual Fire and False Flags into the mix.

Oh. I always played the main storyline with changing nation relations on and it never caused me any problems. So I was expecting things to start changing soon and immediately went around bribing every politician in the Caribbean to get a good start. So now I have a very peaceful game and it is likely to stay that way.

Hmm. Since I will eventually be sinking a British fleet I might as well get a French and Spanish LOM to go along with the English one I already have.

I always played the main storyline with changing nation relations on and it never caused me any problems.
Is there still an option for it in the game menu?
I can't remember now....

But if I do remember later on, I'll look up that console command for you.
Then you can get it the way you'd usually have.

No, there is no option for changing nation relations anywhere.

The only problem it ever gave me was when the nations would change relations while I was sailing along and would then be flying the wrong flag when entering a port.

No, there is no option for changing nation relations anywhere.
Must have been removed then on the assumption that it wouldn't be needed.... :oops:

Execute this through console to enable it anyway:
Code:
AddStorylineVar(FindCurrentStoryline(), "CHANGING_RELATIONS", "1");    // PB: Enable changing nation relations

The only problem it ever gave me was when the nations would change relations while I was sailing along and would then be flying the wrong flag when entering a port.
Ah yes, that's a tricky one. Technically realistic, I think; but doesn't make things simpler at all. :ko

Well I got France and Spain to change their relationship to me when I sank the Oiseau. I'll just continue playing it like this until I get bored as there isn't much in the way of ships in the 1750s. It seems the Grand Schooner and the Neptunis is as good as it gets.

Changing nations' relations to you is easy - sink a few ships to turn them hostile, pay a diplomat or a governor to turn them friendly. Sinking the Oiseau would annoy France, and as Spain is allied to France, that's why they got annoyed as well.

Changing nations' relations to each other is a different matter. The main plot will make rather less sense if Britain and France suddenly make peace; or Silehard's reluctance to send a naval ship to retrieve his treasure collection from Bonaire, on grounds that it could spark a war with Holland, is irrelevant if Britain is already at war with Holland. For similar reasons, you're not allowed to capture any of the towns which are critical to the plot, except when the plot specifically wants you to take Bridgetown.

The console line suggested by @Pieter Boelen will enable changing relations at once. Or you could edit "PROGRAM\Storyline\standard\quests\quests_reaction.c". It's difficult finding where the storyline ends completely, but case "Story_Reward_for_Silehard2" is where all the restrictions on capturing towns are lifted, so that seems as good a place as any to add the same line:
Code:
AddStorylineVar(FindCurrentStoryline(), "CHANGING_RELATIONS", "1");   // PB: Enable changing nation relations
That would mean international relations stay constant throughout the plot and become variable when you've reported Silehard's defeat to the replacement governor.

That is correct, it is easy for me as well as the nations. After the English retake Speightstown the war with France is essentially over and they can do what they want from there. The storyline from there only involves the English and pirates.

Not that it matters as I will be abandoning this storyline by the Battle of Bridgetown anyway.

The console line suggested by @Pieter Boelen will enable changing relations at once. Or you could edit "PROGRAM\Storyline\standard\quests\quests_reaction.c". It's difficult finding where the storyline ends completely, but case "Story_Reward_for_Silehard2" is where all the restrictions on capturing towns are lifted, so that seems as good a place as any to add the same line:
If you think it a good idea, you could add that to the next modpack update. :doff

Back