• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

More things you might look into concerning La Tortue

Fluen

Freebooter
1. Four palm trees next to the gate and ramp from the tailor have the same strange texture as the ones outside the brothel shown in another thread, but only in daylight.
2. The lamps outside the important buildings (trader, brothel, tavern etc.) are not lit at night. Then what is their purpose?
3. The bowls with fire along the ramps to the inner part of town don't spread light around at night. Is it possible to do something about that? In general La Tortue is an awfully dark town at night.

1: I had a wander round Tortuga and could not see any trees with this problem. There are probably some in the January 2022 version with the newer texture files. @Jack Rackham fixed the ones near the brothel. Meanwhile, though I wasn't looking at Tortuga at the time, I noticed that some other trees placed as building items didn't look good with their new texture so I put the original texture file into the update. This may be why some trees now show similar leaves to those near the brothel but with a different shade of green.

2: The lamps are lit but do not cast a glow onto the wall.
3: Same problem as lamps, different reason.

The lighting files are very basic and do not properly account for lamps. The locator file has some "fire" locators but the lighting system doesn't recognise those. Indoor fires have "heater" locators which the lighting system uses for surrounding glow.

I've duplicated all the "fire" locators and renamed the duplicates as "heater", and I've used "loclighter.ini" to generate better night-time lighting which puts a glow onto both the fire baskets and the lamps. Copy this into place and see what you think. Unless you already have a savegame in Tortuga, the quickest way to see it is to start a FreePlay as Francis Drake, then go to the tavern and ask for a room until nightfall.

@Jack Rackham: there is also locator file "Tortuga_l_night_JRH.gm", which I have not changed. Do you want me to add "heater" locators there as well?

Attachments

• Tortuga_lights.zip
    85.3 KB · Views: 51
That helped significantly on the lighting situation! It's now possible to see both lamps and ramps from a distance.

However, all palmtrees reverted to their original messed textures in daylight again - including the ones near the brothel. The four ones I originally mentioned are shown in the screenshot below.

Tortuga palmtree 2.png

Unfortunately, this also opened Pandora's box, because I began to purposely look around and spotted several strange textures. Eventually, I gave up on getting pictures of all of them. In many cases, it's the narrow edges of the thatched rooves, whose texture isn't rotated correctly, as shown in the first picture below.

Tortuga thatchwork.pngTortuga woodwork.pngTortuga woodwork 2.pngTortuga woodwork 3.png

I apologize in advance, if this Akella's work and not the modders'.

It's up to you, what must be done about it. I just report all minor errors, I notice.

On that note, I found out, that while there is now a light effect in/around the lamps in La Tortue, the lamps themselves don't have a "lit" texture at night. It's visible from a distance as shown here.

Tortuga unlit-lit lamps.png

@Fluen: there is something odd about your game. @Jack Rackham fixed the trees by the brothel, while I put back another old texture because the newer version in the January 2022 ruined some other trees. So the trees by the ramp should have solid leaves like the ones by the brothel, though they're a different colour. Lamps should show a lit texture at night, not very bright unless you get close but certainly not black like that. The new lighting should not affect them.

Nothing can be done about the roof ends unless someone rebuilds the town model using Maya. And that's beyond me!

I have some files in the Town Tortuga folder named Tortuga_l_day_JRH.gm and Tortuga_l_night_JRH.gm. Are they supposed to replace the similar files without JRH in their names?

I have some files in the Town Tortuga folder named Tortuga_l_day_JRH.gm and Tortuga_l_night_JRH.gm. Are they supposed to replace the similar files without JRH in their names?
They are used in WoodesRogers part 2. So don't change anything.

Apologies: I've now seen the dark lamps as well. What confused me was that the lamps at the shipyard appeared not to be dark, but when I went to the tavern, its lamps definitely were the same as in your screenshot. For some reason the lamps aren't illuminating themselves, nor even the other lamp of a pair, and the reason the ones at the shipyard looked lighter may be that they were in moonlight. If I went to an angle where I could see the shipyard lamps from the side rather than facing the door, they looked dark as well.

But the replacement textures for palm trees should be in the July update - both @Jack Rackham's files specifically for Tortuga palms, and the old texture file for some other palms which replaces the new, incorrect file in the January 2022 installer.

Back