• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Modding ships decks

modernknight1

Field Marshall of Hot Tubs
Staff member
Storm Modder
Mates, As we continue to make COAS better and we get more modding and modelling going with Storm Engine, I want to discuss changing existing decks over time and correct modelling of new models we import.

Some decks are really beautiful and have the best of everything. It would be nice to get that kind of uniformity in all our models. I know I know....someones's got to do it. I'm always asked for the impossible in my real job and the answer I most often give these days to my superiors is "given the right amounts of time, people and resources, anything is possible". I got that, it's just the deck modelling is yet another area I know I'm going to learn about and hope others will as well.

I would like to see the nicest guns on all decks with carriage wheels on every carriage. I'd like to see all the ships with the working compasses. I would like to see most of the ships with bells.

Lastly, I'd like to see any/all ships built before or sailing before 1703, with their decks WITHOUT a wheel and replace the wheels with rudder steering posts or Pilothouses with rudder steering posts to make them historically accurate. All ships after 1720 should have wheels replace steering posts unless they are smaller craft equipped with tillers.

I know my desires are insatiable. I want, I want, I want... :will

MK

While you're on the subject of remodeling all ships,
I'd like there to be a uniform look between PotC style and AoP/CoAS style ships,
so they'll feel more at home together in the same game.
At the moment, it is very clear that there's two different styles involved.

Agreed Pieter, Although I would argue now that since we have all of the POTC ships ported over to COAS, it seems like we actually have a half dozen different styles in there that I believe are due to different modellers rather than the two games. Every artist's work is a little different.

There are a lot of ugly ships that in my opinion are only good/fun to destroy - no offense to the modellers - just both Historically inaccurate and just ugly.

If we could have all models built by Bava and Yo Ho Ho, I think the future would be bright.

MK

What about Kazeite and ZarethPL? They were the people did the most ship modeling at this point,
including the Black Pearl, HMS Interceptor and USS Enterprise (Kazeite)
and the Flying Dutchman, HMS Bounty and USS Constitution (ZarethPL).

Indeed there are some differences in style between different modelers, but I find that not so jarring.
At least all PiratesAhoy! models are clearly high-detail ones, but the stock PotC AND AoP/CoAS ones not so much.
Some of Yo Ho Ho's older models are set up and look somewhat odd, mostly since they're based on VCO source material.
However, his last ships, culminating in the absolutely awesome Dutchlineship1, are incredible.

Which ships would you consider ugly? We're considering decreasing Build Mod size by removing some ship models.
Reason being, ship models take up a lot of the size of the modpack in the first place.
So some feedback on which ones are good and which ones not really could help very much here.
We do need to consider gameplay value too, though. We can't keep only pretty ships,
if that means we'll end up without tiny and big ships. :facepalm

No I love Kazeite and ZerethPL's ships too!!! I also agree a couple of Yo Ho Ho's earlier ships aren't that great. The Zeven Provincien looks more like the old French La Corounne 1626. Not bad, but there's a ship I'd like to see redone with the quality and accuracy of the Dutch Lineship or Consitution. That's the quality I speak of I'd like to see throughout the game.

I will make a list of the ugly/historically inaccurate ships. At the risk of offending the modellers, when I get my list done I almost believe it would be best to put it in survey form so that members could vote. I would also add that Luke159 couldn't find all the modellers for quite a few ships to put in the readme file, so we have no idea the origin of some of what I consider to be the absolute ugliest models.

MK

If you don't know where certain models came from,
let me know which ones they are and maybe I can still remember. :)

Speaking of decks, it would be nice to add more decks when boarding. So far you just clear the deck then go stright to the cabin regardless of how many decks the ship has.

In PotC, the number of decks depends on the ship size. There's inside deck locations used also, like cargo holds and gun decks.

Back