• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Modding flags

Davos Seaworth

Landlubber
I post this because I think the info is usefull for anyone who wants to change any of the ingame flags.

Flag icons in the Map Screen (and various status screens)

Format: flag_nation.dds
Size: 32x32 pixels, black background
Comment: The flags that seem to flutter in the wind are shown in the Captain´s Log on the right side of entries and on the ingame map.

Ship flags

Format: flag_nat.dds
Size: 256x256 pixels
Comment: There is unfortunately only one design for each nation.

Town flags (and land battle flags)

Format: flag_nat#.dds
Size: 128x128 pixels
Comment: There seem to be four different layouts indicating the wealth of the city with the numbers `0-3` getting brighter with higher number. Number 2 corresponds with the nations ship flag (see above).

International Standings flags in the Captain´s Log

Format: flag_treaty_nat_direction.dds, flag_war_nat_direction.dds
Size: 128x128 pixels, black background, attached to flagpole
Comment: These are the flags shown under International Relations in the Captain´s Log. The direction is 'left' or 'right', the treaty flags are attached to a straight flagpole, the war flags are attached to a lowered flagpole seeming somewhat torn and worn from battle.

Unknown

Format: flagnation.dds, flagnationpoor.dds
Comment: These flags show completely different designs for each nation compared to the above ones. The second design is grey with black beams at the edges.

Format: flags.dds
Comment: This file contains the above flags of the four nations in the flagnation.dds files one flag.

Format: flag_nation_001.dds
Comment: The design of these flags resembles the one of the above flags but they are not the same (e. g. the spanish flag has three towers in the red fields, not just one).

Format: flagenglishdam.dds, flagenglishdam2.dds
Comment: These two files seem kind of odd because they don´t exist for the three other nations. Their design resembles the one shown in the flagenglish.dds file.

To change one of the files packed in the FPK files, one only has to place a file with the same name in the custom directory. This definetely works for DDS and TXT files. If it works as intended I will upload the 16 town flags that correspond to my historical ship flags soon.

Back