• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod idea: Converting Pirates of the Caribbean back into Sea Dogs II

If any of that is done, I'd be sorry to see it happen as a parallel path to New Horizons.
We always aimed to be largely all-inclusive and I'd hope somehow there is space in NH for that too.

I've got to admit large personal responsibility for NH having more movie tie-ins than the original game.
For example, that turning cursed coin during loading was made by @Petros specifically at my request.

But it's not my intention to force that onto others.
@The Nameless Pirate and @Grey Roger have already been doing work to add an option to remove all mod-added music.
My personal perspective on this is that, while I agree that the POTC-specific content could be separated from New Horizons and made optional, much of New Horizon's charm is exactly that it expands so much on the fantasy and themes surrounding the POTC franchise, while allowing people to add brand new stories and content to the game.

I don't see NH having POTC-related content as wrong, Pieter. On the contrary! But perhaps the POTC theme could be just one branch of what NH does (which it already is, just not physically separated and made optional). Other (optional) main themes can be added to the game in time and as they become widely adopted by users/creators.

And I agree with you, new nautical and mythology based stories are something that very much does belong in NH.

The way I see it, each Sea Dogs game (and I'm counting New Horizons as its own game here) offers something unique:

Sea Dogs: Nostalgia and historical value -- the first 3D Sid Meier's Pirates game, and one of the first open-world 3D games ever made. Its archaic, original 3D design and awesome gameplay leaves much to be inspired by.

Pirates of the Caribbean: A modern sequel and expansion on the gameplay of the original Sea Dogs, with more fantasy elements and RP quests sewn in.

New Horizons: The open game that brings the world of Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean to life, and adds a whole new, expanded world of user-made other, historical pirate and fantasy/mythological quests and content to the game. Designed to be truly immersive.

Caribbean Tales: A modern remake of the first Sea Dogs game, mostly closely staying true to the gameplay of the original -- largely unguided and open for the player to use their imagination and make their own purpose and path. Not a pirate game so much as an adventurous sailing game, like the original Sea Dogs -- allowing for a variety of careers/pathways.

City of Abandoned Ships:
Akella's own take on action-adventure RPG pirate quests and fantasy, inspired by Pirates of the Caribbean and modern open-world role-playing games. The most challenging game for the player in the series made by Akella.

Then, other games in the series, picked up and developed by other, independent developers continued and expanded upon the established and industry-leading POTC/COAS formula of gameplay -- gradually sewing in new elements from modern, open-world RPGs.

From previous life experience I know that trying to be all things at once leads to being nothing -- a big mess without purpose. :facepalm

Last edited:
My personal perspective on this is that, while I agree that the POTC-specific content could be separated from New Horizons and made optional, much of New Horizon's charm is exactly that it expands so much on the fantasy and themes surrounding the POTC franchise, while allowing people to add brand new stories and content to the game.

I don't see NH having POTC-related content as wrong, Pieter. On the contrary! But perhaps the POTC theme could be just one branch of what NH does (which it already is, just not physically separated and made optional). Other (optional) main themes can be added to the game in time and as they become widely adopted by users/creators.

And I agree with you, new nautical and mythology based stories are something that very much does belong in NH.

The way I see it, each Sea Dogs game (and I'm counting New Horizons as its own game here) offers something unique:

Sea Dogs: Nostalgia and historical value -- the first 3D Sid Meier's Pirates game, and one of the first open-world 3D games ever made. Its archaic, original 3D design and awesome gameplay leaves much to be inspired by.

Pirates of the Caribbean: A modern sequel and expansion on the gameplay of the original Sea Dogs, with more fantasy elements and RP quests sewn in.

New Horizons: The open game that brings the world of Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean to life, and adds a whole new, expanded world of user-made other, historical pirate and fantasy/mythological quests and content to the game. Designed to be truly immersive.

Caribbean Tales: A modern remake of the first Sea Dogs game, mostly closely staying true to the gameplay of the original -- largely unguided and open for the player to use their imagination and make their own purpose and path. Not a pirate game so much as an adventurous sailing game, like the original Sea Dogs -- allowing for a variety of careers/pathways.

City of Abandoned Ships:
Akella's own take on action-adventure RPG pirate quests and fantasy, inspired by Pirates of the Caribbean and modern open-world role-playing games. The most challenging game for the player in the series made by Akella.

Then, other games in the series, picked up and developed by other, independent developers continued and expanded upon the established and industry-leading POTC/COAS formula of gameplay -- gradually sewing in new elements from modern, open-world RPGs.

From previous life experience I know that trying to be all things at once leads to being nothing -- a big mess without purpose. :facepalm

Well said. While I haven't gotten around to the later games yet, I think you summed the Sea Dogs series up very well. Although you didn't mention To Each His Own.

Anyway, I got around to fixing the Sea Dogs II logo on the main menu. I also changed the blue color in it to a dark green. It was supposed to be black, but I can't figure out what number that is. Regardless, I hope it looks better than in the last picture.
SD2 3.jpeg

Although you didn't mention To Each His Own.
To Each His Own is technically not an Akella game. :no It was developed by independent developer BlackMark Studio, based on CT and COAS. It's one of the main independent continuations/spin-offs, and it develops COAS's content and formula further. From what I hear, it's better balanced than COAS, in that it is easier to play for new players.

I personally haven't played it yet, since it was released exclusively for Steam -- and I don't support massive publishers like Valve, and DRM. :duel:

drmfree.png

It was supposed to be black, but I can't figure out what number that is.
Hex: #000000
RGB: 0, 0, 0
CMYK: 0, 0, 0, 0

In all other uses most likely 0 (zero). ;)

Looks neat! ^_^ :dance

Last edited:
To Each His Own is technically not an Akella game. :no It was developed by independent developer BlackMark Studio, based on CT and COAS. It's one of the main independent continuations/spin-offs, and it develops COAS's content and formula further. From what I hear, it's better balanced than COAS, in that it is easier to play for new players.
CoAS itself was made by Seaward.Ru .
They might've gotten Akella licensing, but it wasn't Akella either.

Maybe @The Nameless Pirate could confirm on TEHO.
As far as I understood it, it is more challenging than any of the prior games.
And where CoAS waa geared more towards free play, TEHO features the return of one (fixed) main quest.

And where CoAS waa geared more towards free play, TEHO features the return of one (fixed) main quest.
COAS is not really free-play either -- or at least it doesn't start that way. It won't let you leave the harbour until you complete the first, long quest (it makes it impossible to leave, in a rather unexpected and dodgy way).

From what I've heard, TEHO is gentler on new players, at least at the start of the game.

That's interesting! :shock Now that you mention it, I do recall hearing that CT was the last game made by Akella. I wonder why the credit everywhere goes to Akella as COAS's developer. Both GOG and Steam credit Akella as the developer, and not Seaward.ru. That's not the case with TEHO.

To Each His Own is technically not an Akella game. :no It was developed by independent developer BlackMark Studio, based on CT and COAS. It's one of the main independent continuations/spin-offs, and it develops COAS's content and formula further.
They might've gotten Akella licensing, but it wasn't Akella either.
TEHO is indeed not developed by Akella, but it is an official continuation of the series and it's story.

It is developed by BlackMark Studio, and published by Akella. ;)
Just as CoAS was developed by Seaward.Ru, and published by Akella.
Steam Search

Maybe @The Nameless Pirate could confirm on TEHO.
As far as I understood it, it is more challenging than any of the prior games.
I think it is more challenging, but it is more consistent with it's difficulty.

As there are quests on CoAS that are possibly even more challenging than TEHO.

Yep, and that quest continues the story of all Sea Dogs games. (Sea Dogs 1, PotC, CT, CoAS)

COAS is not really free-play either -- or at least it doesn't start that way. It won't let you leave the harbour until you complete the first, long quest (it makes it impossible to leave, in a rather unexpected and dodgy way).
Unless you pick a character other than Peter Blood. ;)

If you pick someone else, this quest is not available.

From what I've heard, TEHO is gentler on new players, at least at the start of the game.
The Peter Blood beginning is indeed harder than TEHO's beginning. :yes

That's interesting! :shock Now that you mention it, I do recall hearing that CT was the last game made by Akella. I wonder why the credit everywhere goes to Akella as COAS's developer. Both GOG and Steam credit Akella as the developer, and not Seaward.ru. That's not the case with TEHO.
The info there is definitely wrong, Seaward.ru is the actual developer. :yes

Yep, and that quest continues the story of all Sea Dogs games. (Sea Dogs 1, PotC, CT, CoAS)
One thing to note is that TEHO is a prequel to CoAS. ;)

I have the impression Blackmark Studios has something to do with these games being on GOG and Steam.
Moreso than Akella, at least.
And since Blackmark isn't Seaward....

I'll leave it at that.
I don't know the details. :shrug

I'm entering this a bit late, but here are my thoughts:

Cursed pirates who appear human by day and skeletal by night, trying to collect all of a specific type of gold coin to lift the curse, are straight out of the film. To truly remove all film content, the whole "Deliver a Closed Chest" quest would have to go. To me, it seems like an add-on anyway, not part of the main story about beating Silehard to the Aztec treasure, possibly tacked on for the film tie-in.

Keira Knightley's narration certainly mentions the Black Pearl:
Now, all you bold seamen, will you spare a tear for the Black Pearl and her poor, forsaken crew? Gone to their watery graves beneath the shimmering waves, these lonely, lost Pirates of the Caribbean.
About the only thing missing is a reference to Disney. ;)

The stock game has Barbossa as the captain of the Black Pearl, though he has a standard English officer uniform. You don't see any of this because you can't board the ship.

To me, it seems like an add-on anyway, not part of the main story about beating Silehard to the Aztec treasure, possibly tacked on for the film tie-in.
Very likely indeed.

That's supported by how the main quest finishes with TWO boss ship fights pretty much in a row.
Unrelated ones, even.

I'm entering this a bit late, but here are my thoughts:

Cursed pirates who appear human by day and skeletal by night, trying to collect all of a specific type of gold coin to lift the curse, are straight out of the film. To truly remove all film content, the whole "Deliver a Closed Chest" quest would have to go. To me, it seems like an add-on anyway, not part of the main story about beating Silehard to the Aztec treasure, possibly tacked on for the film tie-in.

Keira Knightley's narration certainly mentions the Black Pearl:
About the only thing missing is a reference to Disney. ;)

The stock game has Barbossa as the captain of the Black Pearl, though he has a standard English officer uniform. You don't see any of this because you can't board the ship.

With a few tweaks, The first one could be excused as being a reference or parody. Or if the similarities are still too present to be anything but Pirates of the Caribbean, then I suppose you could change the dialogue so that the cursed pirates are affected by some kind of dark magic and the chest contained an artifact related to that magic. Like say that the cursed pirates are led by a necromancer or voodoo practitioner, or they all became worshipers of some kind of a Mesoamerican deity which gave them immortality and the ability to resurrect the dead.

Where does that narration happen in the game? I watched all the WMV files, and the only one with Keira's narration was "Invasion.wmv", which is about the French attacking Oxbay and makes no mention of the Black Pearl. Though I do know there's at least one other point where her narration is heard, though I haven't found it. Is it in the game itself?

As for Barbossa, I guess you could just change his name in the data files to something else and be done with it.

Though I do know there's at least one other point where her narration is heard, though I haven't found it. Is it in the game itself?
It's in the video file for the finale.
But I have a very faint memory that not every copy of the game featured her narration there...

It's in the video file for the finale.
But I have a very faint memory that not every copy of the game featured her narration there...

That must be what happened, because I watched both Ending.wmv and Credits.wmv and didn't hear Keira's narration in either of them. I also noticed that the POTC logo is still in the credits. But I guess I could fix that by making a custom credits video and then convert it to the WMV format.

Keira Knightley's narration certainly mentions the Black Pearl...
The Black Pearl has entered popular pirate culture, so even though Disney claims copyright on it, and will do anything to enforce this, it's like the word "droid" from Star Wars -- it's become part of common speak, it is actively losing its franchise/IP association, and in a decent world it should have lost its copyright.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with leaving the Black Pearl in the game, and making the game entirely non-POTC themed. If other pirate folklore and iconic ships and characters are included as well, having the Black Pearl in there is just a welcome bonus (for once legally allowed, because Akella has already paid for its licensing).

To me, Kiera's voice and narration is more reminiscent of the POTC films than the inclusion and mention of the Black Pearl. This, too, however, can be redubbed. We have the music for the videos, and an online voice actor could record a clean, new performance.

Anyway, just throwing ideas out there. ;)

That must be what happened, because I watched both Ending.wmv and Credits.wmv and didn't hear Keira's narration in either of them.
Yes, as far as I know Kiera only provided the voice-over for the intro video. There are a few separate video cinematics in the game that feature the Black Pearl and its skeleton crew -- but, once again, more like a popular culture rendition of it than the actual movie version.

Last edited:
The Black Pearl has entered popular pirate culture, so even though Disney claims copyright on it, and will do anything to enforce this, it's like the word "droid" from Star Wars -- it's become part of common speak, it is actively losing its franchise/IP association, and in a decent world it should have lost its copyright.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with leaving the Black Pearl in the game, and making the game entirely non-POTC themed. If other pirate folklore and iconic ships and characters are included as well, having the Black Pearl in there is just a welcome bonus (for once legally allowed, because Akella has already paid for its licensing).

To me, Kiera's voice and narration is more reminiscent of the POTC films than the inclusion and mention of the Black Pearl. This, too, however, can be redubbed. We have the music for the videos, and an online voice actor could record a clean, new performance.

Anyway, just throwing ideas out there. ;)

Yes, as far as I know Kiera only provided the voice-over for the intro video. There are a few separate video cinematics in the game that feature the Black Pearl and its skeleton crew -- but, once again, more like a popular culture rendition of it than the actual movie version.

It's certainly common to have pop culture icons make cameo appearances in someone else's work of fiction, even if they're copyrighted. The Duke Nukem games are loaded with these. But they're just little references and easter eggs that have no bearing on the gameplay or story. But if you're going to have the Black Pearl be the final boss of your video game, then you might end up getting into legal trouble since the Black Pearl itself still belongs to Disney and not Bethesda or Akella (and licenses will expire eventually, which is why POTC hasn't been re-released yet like the other Sea Dogs games). So just to be safe, it's recommended that the Black Pearl just be renamed to something else.

Wolfenstein 2009 got away with using the Tomes of Power from the Heretic and Hexen series as upgrades for BJ Blazkowicz's Veil powers because Raven Software and id Software were involved in both series (Raven developed Wolfenstein 2009 and owns the developing rights to the Heretic/Hexen series, while id owns Wolfenstein and published the first three Heretic/Hexen games).

And I don't think Keira Knightley's narration has to be completely removed. It's not like she's actually supposed to be Elizabeth Swann from the movies. I think it would be disrespectful to delete her from the game altogether unless there's a valid reason. Plus she's the only celebrity V.A. that has been involved in the Sea Dogs series, at least from what I can tell.

Disney can't claim copyright on the name "Black Pearl". A brigantine named Black Pearl was sailing around decades before the film was made. You would not be able to use the movie ship model, of course, but you could use the original "Lineship1" or even retexture a brigantine.

Another reason why Keira Knightley's narrations are part of the film tie-in is money. Disney probably paid her fee to do the narration; I doubt that Akella paid her, or that she did them for free.

Another reason why Keira Knightley's narrations are part of the film tie-in is money. Disney probably paid her fee to do the narration; I doubt that Akella paid her, or that she did them for free.
It likely came with the licensing contract by Disney. Disney got her to do the lines because Akella entered into the contract and paid for the POTC licensing.

There's a common misconception that people have that the publisher (Disney) pays the developer (Akella) to have features from their franchise included in the game. It's usually the other way around. The developer takes the risk in licensing a known IP for their game, and therefore pays for using content from the known IP. (And/or the product's publisher, if it's not self-published.)

But if you're going to have the Black Pearl be the final boss of your video game, then you might end up getting into legal trouble since the Black Pearl itself still belongs to Disney and not Bethesda or Akella (and licenses will expire eventually, which is why POTC hasn't been re-released yet like the other Sea Dogs games). So just to be safe, it's recommended that the Black Pearl just be renamed to something else.
You don't need to worry about this, because Akella has already paid for licensing the Black Pearl for the game, and you're developing a mod for the said game. It's fair use, it's legal. (Technically the publisher of the game decides whether they will allow the development and distribution of community-made mods for the game, and on what terms.)

It's up to you whether you want to use the Black Pearl or not -- and it's purely a creative decision.

Disney can't claim copyright on the name "Black Pearl". A brigantine named Black Pearl was sailing around decades before the film was made. You would not be able to use the movie ship model, of course, but you could use the original "Lineship1" or even retexture a brigantine.
Interesting to know! Though I'm pretty sure Disney has trademarked the name Black Pearl (they can afford it), and they definitely own the rights to the IP and the design of the ship and its crew, as you've pointed out. :yes

Whether this is right by moral standards is questionable -- especially when the use of the content doesn't exactly mirror the original, but is rather a creative adaptation of its own merit. When something becomes popular culture, Western society still maintains copyright on it, but that actually leads to IP conflicts and a restriction on art/creativity. There's a point where intellectual concepts that enter the mainstream and become widely adopted should need to shed their copyright and become public domain. But no-one has defined where that line is in law.

Edit:
Disney can't claim copyright on the name "Black Pearl". A brigantine named Black Pearl was sailing around decades before the film was made.
You may indeed be right! A quick search reveals multiple trademark applications for the name "Black Pearl", and no Disney trademark:
black pearl disney trademark at DuckDuckGo

They certainly legally own the particular execution of the creative concept and the design of the ship and its crew, but so far I haven't found evidence that suggests they've legally claimed the name.

Last edited:
That must be what happened, because I watched both Ending.wmv and Credits.wmv and didn't hear Keira's narration in either of them.
This is the version with narration:
Ending.wmv

But if you're going to have the Black Pearl be the final boss of your video game, then you might end up getting into legal trouble since the Black Pearl itself still belongs to Disney and not Bethesda or Akella (and licenses will expire eventually, which is why POTC hasn't been re-released yet like the other Sea Dogs games). So just to be safe, it's recommended that the Black Pearl just be renamed to something else.
The original game was released with the Black Pearl.
We added plenty of film material to our mod.
Nobody ever complained.
I think we're safe.

Would be a different story if it were another game.
Or if the game would be put on GOG without the support of Akella/Bethesda/Akella.

If that last were to ever happen, indeed I agree it'd be best to have absolutely zero PotC film references.
We'd then adapt the New Horizons mod to work on the GOG (Pearl-less) copy too.
And then anyone running the mod will end up with the same experience they would've had with the original release.

Interesting to know! Though I'm pretty sure Disney has trademarked the name Black Pearl (they can afford it), and they definitely own the rights to the IP and the design of the ship and its crew, as you've pointed out. :yes

Whether this is right by moral standards is questionable -- especially when the use of the content doesn't exactly mirror the original, but is rather a creative adaptation of its own merit. When something becomes popular culture, Western society still maintains copyright on it, but that actually leads to IP conflicts and a restriction on art/creativity. There's a point where intellectual concepts that enter the mainstream and become widely adopted should need to shed their copyright and become public domain. But no-one has defined where that line is in law.
There's some funny business going on with the copyright of "Space Force" related stuff between Star Trek, Netflix and the US Military.
Have a looky:
'Space Force' copyright: Did Netflix outwit Trump's administration to the naming rights?
Space Force, Star Trek, and Strange New Worlds of Trademark Infringement

My conclusion: not even the highest level people can wrap their head around these shenanigans. :rofl

You may indeed be right! A quick search reveals multiple trademark applications for the name "Black Pearl", and no Disney trademark:

They certainly legally own the particular execution of the creative concept and the design of the ship and its crew, but so far I haven't found evidence that suggests they've legally claimed the name.
Also Black Pearl:
large-c07b142a956e019b98afd0f162227290.jpg

Pretty sure that ship has zero relation to Disney.
Dutch-built, actually. With some wonderful modern "green energy wind-assistant" sails. :cheeky

I would consider swapping the model (in fact, I've actually considered trying to import the Flying Dutchman model from City of Abandoned Ships and renaming it accordingly so that the two games would have more of a connection), except for the fact that it wouldn't change the model used in the cinematics. And I don't have the time, experience, or resources to make completely new CG cinematics, much less ones in the style that the game uses. Though now I'm curious exactly how much the Black Pearl's model in the game matches with its design in the movie.

As for Keira Knightley, it doesn't matter to me who hired her to do narration or why. From a legal and moral standpoint, I just don't see the point in completely deleting her from the game unless I have to. I don't think Keira Knightley's voice is any more copyrighted than the game itself. As far as I'm concerned, I consider it a real treat to have a famous actress narrate this game about pirates. It just so happens that she's also known for her work on another pirate-themed intellectual property.

Though I will admit that while I do enjoy Keira's work on the POTC films, I'm not exactly a fan of her narration in the game. It just feels kind of tacked on, and her delivery as a narrator doesn't feel very strong. Though it was early in her acting career, so the latter is forgivable. While I might keep the Invasion.wmv file where it is, I would consider keeping a narration-free version of it handy if one was available. Though I imagine I could just mute the original video and add the music and SFX back in manually.

It likely came with the licensing contract by Disney. Disney got her to do the lines because Akella entered into the contract and paid for the POTC licensing.

It's up to you whether you want to use the Black Pearl or not -- and it's purely a creative decision.

Edit:

Black Pearl may not be trademarked by Disney and there are ships are real life called Black Pearl, but how many Black Pearls are old pirate ships manned by a cursed/undead crew? Just the Disney one, from what I can tell. So if we had a game that used a ship that fits all those criteria and not have it be a Pirates of the Caribbean game, then you might end up getting in trouble. It's like if I made a space simulation video game completely unrelated to Star Trek but just happened to have the Enterprise in it as the final boss. It would raise a lot of suspicions.

This is the version with narration:
Ending.wmv

The original game was released with the Black Pearl.
We added plenty of film material to our mod.
Nobody ever complained.
I think we're safe.

Would be a different story if it were another game.
Or if the game would be put on GOG without the support of Akella/Bethesda/Akella.

If that last were to ever happen, indeed I agree it'd be best to have absolutely zero PotC film references.
We'd then adapt the New Horizons mod to work on the GOG (Pearl-less) copy too.
And then anyone running the mod will end up with the same experience they would've had with the original release.

There's some funny business going on with the copyright of "Space Force" related stuff between Star Trek, Netflix and the US Military.
Have a looky:
'Space Force' copyright: Did Netflix outwit Trump's administration to the naming rights?
Space Force, Star Trek, and Strange New Worlds of Trademark Infringement

My conclusion: not even the highest level people can wrap their head around these shenanigans. :rofl

Also Black Pearl:
large-c07b142a956e019b98afd0f162227290.jpg

Pretty sure that ship has zero relation to Disney.
Dutch-built, actually. With some wonderful modern "green energy wind-assistant" sails. :cheeky

Again, I'm pretty sure that Black Pearl isn't an old pirate ship from the 1600s that has a cursed/undead crew.

And yeah, I'm basically trying to see how many POTC references I can remove from the game without messing around with the rest of the game too much aside from correcting spelling/grammar-related errors. So that it would be presentable as the Sea Dogs sequel it was meant to be without relying on Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean brand. The point of your mod is to make the game even more of a Pirates of the Caribbean tie-in, so it makes sense to put stuff from the movies in it. But my attempt at a mod is the complete opposite.

Though now I'm curious exactly how much the Black Pearl's model in the game matches with its design in the movie.
Original game?
NOT at all.
She's black.
She's got torn sails.

She doesn't look anything like the film.
Even the sails are torn in quite a different way.

I'm not exactly a fan of her narration in the game. It just feels kind of tacked on, and her delivery as a narrator doesn't feel very strong.
When I watched the finale again today, I was really unimpressed.
It didn't sound at all seriously...

While I might keep the Invasion.wmv file where it is, I would consider keeping a narration-free version of it handy if one was available.
I've never heard of one existing.

Black Pearl may not be trademarked by Disney and there are ships are real life called Black Pearl, but how many Black Pearls are old pirate ships manned by a cursed/undead crew? Just the Disney one, from what I can tell. So if we had a game that used a ship that fits all those criteria and not have it be a Pirates of the Caribbean game, then you might end up getting in trouble. It's like if I made a space simulation video game completely unrelated to Star Trek but just happened to have the Enterprise in it as the final boss. It would raise a lot of suspicions.
Except... It IS a Pirates of the Caribbean game.
Barely. But still.

And yeah, I'm basically trying to see how many POTC references I can remove from the game without messing around with the rest of the game too much aside from correcting spelling/grammar-related errors. So that it would be presentable as the Sea Dogs sequel it was meant to be without relying on Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean brand. The point of your mod is to make the game even more of a Pirates of the Caribbean tie-in, so it makes sense to put stuff from the movies in it. But my attempt at a mod is the complete opposite.
I get that.
Not much to do though.
As you've already found.

For clarity's sake, while New Horizons does add more PotC film material, it also adds all sorts of other stuff.
Including Hornblower, various real life pirates and some unique characters too.

Most of the film content is limited to the film storyline.
You won't find much playing the Hornblower storyline, for example.

We tried to limit it to "Easter Egg" levels during regular play.

Back