• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mistakes during piracy

Skorpion

Landlubber
Hi all :ahoy,

I recently started a new game as free play, started as custom character and made it a merchant (with decent leadership, sailing and commerce). I got a very nice ship to begin with as well as quite a sum so I started right away with finding out best prices around and moving some cargo from point to point. Things were going well, a bit slow to my taste so I got some loans and sped things up. And this is where my problems begun.

I was able to buy better ship, won another in battle with Spain and started to carry much more cargo. Too much. The prices on island producing goods were of course lower than those in importing them. However, trading in bulk dropped the prices below point of profitability. So here is my first question: did I something wrong in trading? I focused on silver and gold but tried other goods as well when those two become useless. I didn't play around with false flags though, I'm an honest merchant, I don't cheat! :p

Being finished as merchant I had to look around for a new profession. At first I wanted to become an officer, I sunk some pirate ships, boarded and kept another (of pirate design) and finally spoke to englishs governor on Jamaica (I play as english) and tried to find out how to join navy. With no luck I looked it up here on PiratesAhoy and to my disappointment found out it's unfortunatelly not possible :( Here's my second question; is it still impossible or is there a way to do that? If so, could you point me some instruction/tutorial on how to achieve that?

Having no other option, going low on money and thus food, rum, morale and ship condition I raised the jolly roger and assaulted some poor merchants. And I did it again, and again, and again... untill my cargo space was filled up. Remembering trading isn't nearly as profitable as it seems my idea was to sell what can't be smuggled and smuggle all the rest. I tough I was going finally straight untill...

Until I realized I have more problems. First was constantly low morale on those former pirate ship. I didn't sign pacts with my crew so I relied on full food and double rum rations. I was able to afford that and keep decent amount on all ships. However the former pirate ship was revolting from time to time and I had to put enormous amount of money to raise their morale from time to time. Being oblivious for a very long time what could that be I finally got an idea it must be pacts. So here's my third question; can I revoke pacts and if so how? If that's not possible would buying new ship in shipyard help here? It seems like only one is affected. Another issue is the English open fire to me (only ships, not forts) when I leave english ports (they don't mind me comming). I have no idea how they know as I was very careful changing flags. Recently I entered a dutch tavern and got recognised as well (some time before that I let two dutch ships with crews go stealing only cargo but there were too few people on both so they both sunk). And now I'm confused how could I carry on if I effectively put myself out of half caribbeand ports! Can I somehow fix my relations as it was possible in the vanilla game? Can I quit piracy (even if I'd get back to it)? If so, can I do it only once?

Sorry for so long post but I wanted to be clear what's my situation and what I struggle with. Thank you in advance for any help! :sail

However, trading in bulk dropped the prices below point of profitability. So here is my first question: did I something wrong in trading? I focused on silver and gold but tried other goods as well when those two become useless.
@Grey Roger, do you have any experience with that?

I didn't play around with false flags though, I'm an honest merchant, I don't cheat! :p
What's cheating about using false flags?
It's YOUR risk.

Being finished as merchant I had to look around for a new profession. At first I wanted to become an officer, I sunk some pirate ships, boarded and kept another (of pirate design) and finally spoke to englishs governor on Jamaica (I play as english) and tried to find out how to join navy. With no luck I looked it up here on PiratesAhoy and to my disappointment found out it's unfortunatelly not possible :( Here's my second question; is it still impossible or is there a way to do that? If so, could you point me some instruction/tutorial on how to achieve that?
Why do you want specifically to join the Navy?
You should be able to become a Privateer without issue.

Anyway, if you're dead-set on joining the navy, you can try executing JoinNavy(ENGLAND); through PROGRAM\console.c .
(See here for how: Tutorial - Modding Tips & Tricks )
Not entirely sure how this works when run in mid-game, but I imagine it should work.

First was constantly low morale on those former pirate ship. I didn't sign pacts with my crew so I relied on full food and double rum rations. I was able to afford that and keep decent amount on all ships. However the former pirate ship was revolting from time to time and I had to put enormous amount of money to raise their morale from time to time.
Could also be that the captain of your companion ship has a different reputation to your own.
Heroes don't like villains; and vice versa.

Being oblivious for a very long time what could that be I finally got an idea it must be pacts. So here's my third question; can I revoke pacts and if so how?
Yes, you can switch back.
Should be an option for it in the F2>Character>Crew Interface, if I'm not mistaken.
You will first need to Divide Plunder at a Loanshark though.
But once you've done that, you can go back.

If that's not possible would buying new ship in shipyard help here?
Won't help, no.

Another issue is the English open fire to me (only ships, not forts) when I leave english ports (they don't mind me comming). I have no idea how they know as I was very careful changing flags.
That does confuse me...
@Grey Roger, any thoughts?

Recently I entered a dutch tavern and got recognised as well (some time before that I let two dutch ships with crews go stealing only cargo but there were too few people on both so they both sunk).
I assume in your Quest Book interface, that "Pirate" is in Yellow?
That means, the game considers you a pirate and you might get recognized as such at random in non-pirate ports.
The solution is to remove your mark as a pirate; which you can do by buying amnesty from a Relations Agent or Governor.
And I think you may then need to also get a Letter of Marque from one of them.
Maybe even need to get yourself hostile with the Pirates again too...

Can I quit piracy (even if I'd get back to it)? If so, can I do it only once?
There's nothing stopping you from going back and forth as much as you want...

Thank you for such comprehensive response!

What's cheating about using false flags?
It's YOUR risk.
Well, now as a pirate I do it all the time. And it seems to work perfectly (I'm not that well known yet).

Why do you want specifically to join the Navy?
You should be able to become a Privateer without issue.

Anyway, if you're dead-set on joining the navy, you can try executing JoinNavy(ENGLAND); through PROGRAM\console.c .
(See here for how: Tutorial - Modding Tips & Tricks )
Not entirely sure how this works when run in mid-game, but I imagine it should work.
Why didn't I think about being Privateer :facepalm But since you provided piece of code I'd try it and post results here, even if in the end I pick another path! Speaking about console is there a way to add money this way? I know about the cheat under 6 on NumPad but I don't want to cheat per se and give myself 100k, I lost lot's of money gambling at one point and realized I didn't save before. It wasn't even near 100k (it was early in the game) but back then it did the difference to me. I don't remember the sum and it doesn't matter now anyway but I'm just curious.

Could also be that the captain of your companion ship has a different reputation to your own.
Heroes don't like villains; and vice versa.
Can it be an officer as well? I must check that; I "rescued" a pirate captain some time ago and most certainly he's an officer on that ship! Is there anywhere a list of what do certain reputation titles really mean? Where and how can I check if this (different reutation) is the case?

That does confuse me...
@Grey Roger, any thoughts?
I think I might have figured it out yesterday. I talked to a spanish captain in tavern in spanish town. Sailing away the fort was silent but two spanish ship attacked me right away. Is that the culprit?

I assume in your Quest Book interface, that "Pirate" is in Yellow?
That means, the game considers you a pirate and you might get recognized as such at random in non-pirate ports.
The solution is to remove your mark as a pirate; which you can do by buying amnesty from a Relations Agent or Governor.
And I think you may then need to also get a Letter of Marque from one of them.
Maybe even need to get yourself hostile with the Pirates again too...
Yes, it is yellow. I'm definitely gonna find some Agent or Governor and speak about that situation.

Tank you for all help, I really appreciate it! :bow

Speaking about console is there a way to add money this way? I know about the cheat under 6 on NumPad but I don't want to cheat per se and give myself 100k, I lost lot's of money gambling at one point and realized I didn't save before. It wasn't even near 100k (it was early in the game) but back then it did the difference to me. I don't remember the sum and it doesn't matter now anyway but I'm just curious.
You can console pretty much anything you might want.
For money, use AddMoneyToCharacter(pchar, *your amount*);

Can it be an officer as well? I must check that; I "rescued" a pirate captain some time ago and most certainly he's an officer on that ship! Is there anywhere a list of what do certain reputation titles really mean? Where and how can I check if this (different reutation) is the case?
Won't be a regular officer.
Captains only.

There are the different reputations in order from worst to best:
Code:
; reputations
string = iHorror of the High Seas,"Horror of the High Seas"
string = iBloody Terror,"Bloody Terror"
string = iSwindler,"Swindler"
string = iRascal,"Rascal"
string = iNeutral,"Neutral"
string = iBloke,"Bloke"
string = iMatey,"Matey"
string = iDashing,"Dashing"
string = iHero,"Hero"

string = wHorror of the High Seas,"Femme Fatale"
string = wBloody Terror,"Scarlet"
string = wSwindler,"Vixen"
string = wRascal,"Floozy"
string = wNeutral,"Damsel"
string = wBloke,"Lass"
string = wMatey,"Maiden"
string = wDashing,"Lady"
string = wHero,"Heroine"
I think I might have figured it out yesterday. I talked to a spanish captain in tavern in spanish town. Sailing away the fort was silent but two spanish ship attacked me right away. Is that the culprit?
Sometimes you can encounter angry captains who meet you at sea.
Those are always immediately hostile...
But then... that is never TWO ships, if I'm not mistaken... o_O

Yes, it is yellow. I'm definitely gonna find some Agent or Governor and speak about that situation.
Good luck!

Tank you for all help, I really appreciate it! :bow
You're welcome!
Hope you can enjoy the game better now. :onya

Won't be a regular officer.
Captains only.

There are the different reputations in order from worst to best:
[...]
Yeah, former pirate captain as captain of my other ship :facepalm. Me being known as Matey, him as Bloody Terror. Might have been a discord :duel:. I replaced him with somebody trustworthy, no problems so far but I didn't manage to sail for many days yet, because...

I hoisted the English flag and sailed straight to Jamaica to meet English governor. He's been very nice, even though I sunk some ships, and received me. For quite small amount of money he forgave me my sins and forgot my deeds and then for yet even smaller amount accepted my offer of being the English Privateer. Arr! :cheers Now we're talking. I resupplied my ships, got back on deck of my flagship and set sail... only to realize two english vessels open fire at me right away. The flags are same as mine (already changed to blue with small English in the corner, which I suppose is English Navy), the crews wear english uniforms but my relations with England are "Letter of Marque" and "0" Points under white flag in Relations tab. Now, I can ignore them and sail to open seas taking some damage (I'm noticeably faster) and get out of their range but that seems to be only temporary solution as I suppose I'm gonna be greeted the same way next time OR I can fire back, which gets me back to piracy and makes fort open fire to me as well (and thus devastating me completely). Do I do something wrong?

Hope you can enjoy the game better now.
Oh, trust me, I enjoy this game so much anyway it's incredible! So fine piece of art I'm totally lost playing :bow

Yeah, former pirate captain as captain of my other ship :facepalm. Me being known as Matey, him as Bloody Terror. Might have been a discord :duel:.
Yep.
Exactly that.

already changed to blue with small English in the corner, which I suppose is English Navy
Correct.

set sail... only to realize two english vessels open fire at me right away. [...] I suppose I'm gonna be greeted the same way next time OR I can fire back, which gets me back to piracy and makes fort open fire to me as well (and thus devastating me completely). Do I do something wrong?
I suspect those same ships remember you as an enemy from when you came in.
If I recall @Grey Roger's code updates correctly, changing your ship type or name should force them to reconsider...
(Not sure if that works with ships? It was forts we talked about at the time.)

If I recall @Grey Roger's code updates correctly, changing your ship type or name should force them to reconsider...
(Not sure if that works with ships? It was forts we talked about at the time.)
I'd hate to sell my ships as they're brand new bought (very nice vessels). Would changing their names work? I think I'll just leave the port ignoring them and then repair my ships in next port, as we spoke previously I could get exact amount of money back anyway but just a tought, god mode for such situations working for all ships could prevent the damage at all. I found your reply here modifying the sails and if I can read it properly it's all based on characters immortality, am I right? So probably setting other ship's captain immortal as well would make his ship immortal just as mine? Is that possible via console?

Would changing their names work?
Maybe?
I'd suggest: try it.

I found your reply here modifying the sails and if I can read it properly it's all based on characters immortality, am I right? So probably setting other ship's captain immortal as well would make his ship immortal just as mine? Is that possible via console?
You shouldn't need to edit the code.
Except ENABLE_CHEATMODE at the bottom of PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h if you haven't enabled that already.
You can Numpad 1 and 2 to cycle between your officers and companions, then use Numpad 0 to toggle their immortality.
If a captain is immortal, then so is his/her ship.

I was able to buy better ship, won another in battle with Spain and started to carry much more cargo. Too much. The prices on island producing goods were of course lower than those in importing them. However, trading in bulk dropped the prices below point of profitability. So here is my first question: did I something wrong in trading? I focused on silver and gold but tried other goods as well when those two become useless. I didn't play around with false flags though, I'm an honest merchant, I don't cheat! :p
Starting as a merchant, you should have had a Merchant Licence. The exact description may be different depending on your starting nation but the effects should be the same. Normally a store keeper will try to fleece you, comparing his "Commerce" skill to yours, which is why the price to buy cargo is higher than the price to sell the same cargo. A Merchant Licence should skip that comparison so you get better prices both ways. Also, when you have too much gold, the crew become envious and want a share of it, but a Merchant Licence shows you to be a law-abiding, peaceful merchant and the crew are content to continue taking their salary.

But there is also the factor that prices change when you trade. When you buy a particular cargo, it's now in shorter supply, so the price goes up. When you sell it, there's more on the market, so the price goes down. As you've found, that's going to bite hard when you buy or sell a large amount. In reality, of course, if you've agreed a price and the trader then tries to change it when you accept the deal, you'd probably take him to court. In the 17th century, you'd probably still take him to court, unless it's somewhere rough such as Pirate Settlement, in which case the trader would be looking for a new set of teeth. The price shouldn't change until after you've done the deal. Except that this brings its own problems. You could buy a lot of something cheap, the price goes up, then you sell it back and the price goes back down. Repeat until you can do the same with something more expensive. Repeat until you can buy and sell a hold full of gold. Get rich without ever putting to sea. I've seen this happen in a completely different game and don't want to see it in PotC!

@Pieter Boelen: the stock game didn't have the price change like that. Perhaps get rid of it, if it's ruining trading for merchant players.

You can't join the navy but you can talk to a governor, buy a Letter of Marque, and become a privateer. That allows you to earn promotions, and occasionally special rewards to go with them, without being subject to strict naval discipline.

Having no other option, going low on money and thus food, rum, morale and ship condition I raised the jolly roger and assaulted some poor merchants. And I did it again, and again, and again... untill my cargo space was filled up. Remembering trading isn't nearly as profitable as it seems my idea was to sell what can't be smuggled and smuggle all the rest. I tough I was going finally straight untill...

Until I realized I have more problems. First was constantly low morale on those former pirate ship. I didn't sign pacts with my crew...
And that's your mistake. When you became a pirate, you lost that Merchant Licence. Now the crew are envious of your hoard of gold - and you should have had a warning in your questbook. Sign articles with the crew, and be sure to divide the loot every so often, otherwise they'll become mutinous again.

Being oblivious for a very long time what could that be I finally got an idea it must be pacts. So here's my third question; can I revoke pacts and if so how? If that's not possible would buying new ship in shipyard help here? It seems like only one is affected. Another issue is the English open fire to me (only ships, not forts) when I leave english ports (they don't mind me comming). I have no idea how they know as I was very careful changing flags. Recently I entered a dutch tavern and got recognised as well (some time before that I let two dutch ships with crews go stealing only cargo but there were too few people on both so they both sunk). And now I'm confused how could I carry on if I effectively put myself out of half caribbeand ports! Can I somehow fix my relations as it was possible in the vanilla game? Can I quit piracy (even if I'd get back to it)? If so, can I do it only once?
The fort has recognised you and remembers you as a pirate. False flags won't work there any more. And that's why pirates don't sail into port, they moor at a nearby beach and walk into town!

You can ask a governor for forgiveness. Depending on how many of his nation's ships you've sunk, that will be expensive, more expensive or very expensive. You could even then buy a Letter of Marque from him and earn rewards for continuing to commit piracy, provided you only attack his enemies. Or you can find a diplomat in the taverns of Nevis Pirate Settlement, La Grenade Smugglers Lair, Bonaire Pirate Fort, and possibly some other pirate settlements, who will make peace with the nation of your choice - for a price.

C:
JoinNavy(ENGLAND);

Works, on the first sight. Turned me from Privateer Captain to Navy Captain, preserved my Midshipman rank and resetted Points to zero.

Unfortunately I encountered an issue; the game crashes when I try to assign perks to certain officer on company ship. After double click on "Abilities" I get the followin error at the end of system.log file:
Code:
User Rised Exception
C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\ENGINE\SOURCES\s_stack.cpp line 47
stack overflaw

Yesterday I also had an error.log file (or something like that) but didn't have time to investigate and post it, it's not present today. I have no idea what could cause stack overflow there, the Abilities UI seems so simple as well as list of perks assigned in code...

C:
JoinNavy(ENGLAND);

Works, on the first sight. Turned me from Privateer Captain to Navy Captain, preserved my Midshipman rank and resetted Points to zero.
And you're now under naval discipline. If you capture a ship, you can sell it but you can't take command of it for yourself - the navy will give you a new ship, probably smaller than your existing ship as your next rank is Acting Lieutenant and your new ship will be a mere sloop. You can't exchange that for a new ship, either - you'll get another ship with your next promotion and so on. The navy has given you your ship (or taken over your original ship), and you will command that - it's an order! Also, if you attack a colony, you have to capture it for Britain, you can't just loot it (unless you're playing a storyline and the colony must remain under its original nation for plot reasons), and you can't conquer it for yourself.

Bet you wish you'd kept that Letter of Marque and remained a privateer - you can keep anything you capture, you can loot colonies, and you still get your promotions and ranks. ;)

Unfortunately I encountered an issue; the game crashes when I try to assign perks to certain officer on company ship. After double click on "Abilities" I get the followin error at the end of system.log file:
Code:
User Rised Exception
C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\ENGINE\SOURCES\s_stack.cpp line 47
stack overflaw

Yesterday I also had an error.log file (or something like that) but didn't have time to investigate and post it, it's not present today. I have no idea what could cause stack overflow there, the Abilities UI seems so simple as well as list of perks assigned in code...
No idea what would cause that - assigning perks to officers has never been a problem in the past as far as I know.

No, I just tested it as I promised :) Since Pieter mentioned Privateer's career I definitely picked that one :) Because of reasons you mentioned ;)

About that officer; I guess I won't assign any more perks to her and just look for a new surgeon instead in some time then.

Last edited:
That's the odd thing, though - you should be able to assign perks to officers, whether they're in your shore party, just in the passenger list, or in command of a ship. I do it all the time and have never had a crash as a result.

One good way to play as a naval officer is to pick it as your starting career. Another good way to play as a naval officer is to play the "Hornblower" storyline, which is where naval gameplay was first introduced into "New Horizons". You don't always get new ships with promotions in the story, though - it assigns you to ships as the plot progresses.

Unfortunately I encountered an issue; the game crashes when I try to assign perks to certain officer on company ship.
Do I understand this is an officer ON a companion ship?
So NOT the captain?
That's a different situation than what @Grey Roger mentions:
in your shore party, just in the passenger list, or in command of a ship
Perhaps that's the thing that doesn't work right?

Yes, she's an officer (surgeon) on a companion ship. Other officers work well. I'm starting to think my save game might be corrupted though, as a moment ago I've seen a trader with like negative two milions money. Not a big deal, I think, I might start a fresh game as this one's rather rough...

I'm pretty sure I've assigned perks to officers on companion ships as well - that is, secondary officers, not captains. Once I've decided to keep a companion ship for a long time rather than just sell it at the next suitable port, I tend to assign a carpenter, gunner and surgeon.

Yeah, I did exactly the same. Other officers are fine, she's the one. Now I also encountered this in my error.log, along with crash to desktop:

Code:
RUNTIME ERROR - file: seadogs.c; line: 740
Save - ARef to non existing attributes branch
RUNTIME ERROR - file: seadogs.c; line: 740
Save - ARef to non existing attributes branch
RUNTIME ERROR - file: Characters\officers.c; line: 39
missed attribute: quest
null ap
no rAP data
RUNTIME ERROR - file: Characters\Leveling.c; line: 228
missed attribute: rank
RUNTIME ERROR - file: Characters\Leveling.c; line: 228
no rAP data

It crashed on exiting menu after boarding enemy ship.

EDIT:

Seems like an issue with leveling up. Shame we don't know who leveled as it might have been this officer, if shared experience pers works for companion ships as well. If it doesn't I don't know what could be the cause.

Last edited:
Is that officer randomly hired from a tavern or is she from a quest? Somehow she seems to be missing both the "quest.officerType" and "rank" attributes.

I can definitely assign perks to a secondary officer on a companion ship. Exhibit A: this officer also happens to be female, though that's just because she was the first one in sequence when I scrolled through the character list looking for someone with free ability points.
officer_before1.jpg

Exhibit B: same officer after assigning said ability points:
officer_after2.jpg

I do believe you! She must be from tavern (encountered by a table or after asking the bartender). Is there any way to fix her? If no I'd just exchange her for someone else, no big deal I think, as she's only level 17 and right now most of people who are eager to work for me are level 25-40.

Remove that officer from the ship, then see what happens if you assign perks when she is just a passenger, or when she is one of your party officers. If that crashes the game as well, she's completely broken, so fire her.

Back