• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Minecraft

T'Flok

Rocketeer
I bet you guys have played that game too! :woot I usually build towers and now trying my luck at viking houses. :yes

My recent activity in Minecraft ended up me making another viking house and then I heard a creepy cave sound.. I swear there's a cave system nearby under my house but where? No idea.

i'll be building one giant tribute to dwarf fortress. maybe even the colossus of awemedinade, for as for as that's possible. i'm a big fan of cliffside forts too, though they get a bit annoying in the morning when you poke your sleepy head outside and take a tumble down the mountain. which is why i've simply made a diving pool underneath. basejumping out of your own fort FTW.

I know what you mean. xD: I once made a tower attached to a cliff so yeah you could call it a cliff tower. xD:

Hey why not post pics here of our creations? Mateys? :woot

Vikings, longhouses and Minecraft! They just go together! It was coded by a Swede after all! :woot

These are a few screen shots of the Viking longhouse I built to get verified on the Discovr.us Creative server a few months ago. I am currently working on an authentic complete Viking village, as authentic as it can be in Minecraft anyway, but I don't have any screen shots of that at the moment. I have the walls up, but not finished, and I have several longhouses and even a few longboats. I really haven't made a lot of progress on it for a few months. With all the client updates lately, it's been a bit hard to actually get on the server, once an update is released, it takes a few weeks for them to get the server back up, and then it's time for a new update! :modding

Nice Thagarr! :onya Could use some more wooden plank blocks though. :yes I wonder how it looks like with my favorite Eldpack texturepack.

I'm so exited! Airplanes mod has new airplanes and Airship mod has been updated for Beta 1.4 yeah I LOVE flying around my Minecraft worlds.. I also fetched meself steampunk scuba diving gear mod and Too Many Items Mod (ingame inventory edit) and I also have singeplayer commands to fly around when building tall buildings.

Man most of the mods are already back in my game and how is it that they update their mods so fast this time? :shock

Just hope Bethesda doesn't buy them out. xD: They'd have to start classing mod update times as a feature. Provided the game even worked in the first place - here's looking at you, Fallout 3! :shock

Anyhoo...we now return you to your regular programming...

Educational building blocks: how Minecraft is used in classrooms

With its open-ended nature and robust creation tools, Minecraft has been used to create some amazing things. And as one teacher learned, those very same elements that make the game so compelling also make it a great educational tool. Around two months ago, Joel Levin, a computer teacher at Manhattan's Columbia Grammar and Preparatory School, decided to start using the game to teach an entire unit to his first- and second-grade students. The lessons took place almost entirely in the world of Minecraft. And it was a huge hit.

Ars spoke with Levin about what a lesson in Minecraft looks like and why the game is such a good teaching tool.

Prior to the Minecraft experiment, Levin had used a variety of tools to make his computer class more enjoyable for students. Google Earth was used for geography projects, for instance, while other more simple games were used to help teach typing and computer skills. What those tools didn't have that Minecraft does, though, was the ability to keep students engaged.

"l chose Minecraft specifically because it's so open-ended," Levin told Ars. "The game presents you with a huge open world and you can do any of a dozen different preset activities. Or you can go off and create your own content. That alone gives me a ton of freedom to invent content for the kids to engage in. I don't let them just play the game however they want. They must follow a path I lay out for them, which allows me to carry out lesson plans."

Levin also made some changes to the core game to make it more suitable for the classroom. Chief among these was making students invulnerable to damage while playing, so that they couldn't die in the game. Levin first had the idea to utilize Minecraft in his classes while playing the game over summer break, but became convinced it could work when his five year-old daughter began playing it, going so far as to craft a treehouse entirely on her own. Even though he had strong support from the school, Levin still had some initial trepidation about whether or not the experiment would be a success.

"Minecraft is not easy to pick up and enjoy if you've never played this type of game before," he told Ars. "Without a Wii controller in their hands, I worried that kids wouldn't make it over the learning curve. I also worried they would be overwhelmed by the game environments and not be able to focus on the lessons. I worried they would not be able to work together effectively because they are used to playing games where they are the only player. I was worried they would become bored with a game in which the purpose is to create, rather than destroy."

As it turns out, that worry was misplaced—the experiment was a rousing success. Class begins with the students away from the game, as Levin explains the goals for the day. Then they go to work, often in pre-built worlds created by Levin which feature specific tasks to accomplish or puzzles to solve. But they always need to work together.

Rest of the story here :http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...tm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

We need more teachers like that, and more games like Minecraft! :onya

Reminds me of my Grade 5 Social Studies teacher - for nearly half the year, he let us loose in the computer lab twice a week for hour-long SimCity sessions. His vote was that we'd learn everything we'd need to know in it. :yes

I haven't yet FredBob, I have watched many videos though, cannons in Minecraft are awesome! I have been wanting to play around with them for a while now, but I haven't been able to build me a good enough mob trap to get all the gunpowder to keep them firing for more than just a few shots. I keep getting distracted with all the updates, there just never seems to be enough time to do everything I want! I think the last update, 1.5, tweaked the mob spawning code a bit, time to redesign my trap and try again!! :onya

I'll post a few screen shots if I am successful. I have been watching this guys videos for a while, he has some really great mob trap ideas :

]

My little brother did a small cannon thingy what can shoot TNT if done right. :woot

Yeah I agree updates can be terrifying as nether and pain in the captain's quarters for mod makers but there's always something what lifts the spirits up. xD:

I really should build a barge or something.

You mean like this?

Awesome! :woot Homeworld comes to mind especially Kadeshi multi-ion beam frigates.

Anyways those cave sounds in Minecraft can be downright creepy. I swear that game is haunted! Which of course explains the existance of Zombies and Skeletons.. Creepers are the worst. No warning what so ever just panic, BOOM and another minutes of patching up your building. xD: One picture said "Two days of building.. creeper explodes". :rofl Man I laughed to tears when Caliform (guy who makes Expedition Minecraft videos) got owned by a creeper for the first time.

404 Challenge[/url] yet T'Flok? Now that one will creep you out!!!

I watched some of Expedition Minecraft, he did some pretty good videos early on, but he kind of lost me with his later stuff. My favorites are Coestar and paulsoaresjr, those guys make awesome videos!

the crap? how do you even make that?

Cheat! :cheeky

I think it's actually a server mod ...a way overpowered server mod at that!

Back