• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Meaning and function of berthing a ship

HellSailor

Privateer
Storm Modder
I have the mod like some weeks ago, and i have founded what is called "berth a ship" on an island. What does it mean and how i can use it? It's difficult for me because i don't understand too much the english.

PD: If this is post is not correctly posted, please move it where it should be. Thanks.

If you have a ship that you no longer want to sail but do still want to keep, then you can go to a shipyard and berth it there.

This means that the ship can be stored there for as long as you like.

There are two methods. A ship can be "berthed" or it can be "laid up". When it is berthed it is tied up to the pier with its crew and all equipment. When it is laid up the crew is fired and all equipment and stores like food except the cannons are removed.

Ok, thanks, i find it very useful, not as good as the stock POtC, which you could use only 4 ships. I prefer berthing rather than trying laid up, because it would be more expensive to refill it with all the cargo and crew.

Ah, another advantage is that you can take all unique ships you can afford in a storyline.

Umm I don't know. Probably a Waller Pinnace, a 3rd rate, a pinnace, a fluyt, a sloop. Just ships that I might want at some later date for a special purpose.

I also have a complete sword collection in my ships locker.

My collection of swords in the inventory of my player is insane.... it's difficult to get the pickaxe.... needed half a minute to find it :p

But anyway, i will keep them on the ship's locker, as you said. I also have to say that the francis drake's sword looks pretty well :)

If you have a ship that you no longer want to sail but do still want to keep, then you can go to a shipyard and berth it there.

This means that the ship can be stored there for as long as you like.

There are two methods. A ship can be "berthed" or it can be "laid up". When it is berthed it is tied up to the pier with its crew and all equipment. When it is laid up the crew is fired and all equipment and stores like food except the cannons are removed.
If I am the lord of a town and berthed a ship(s), will it defend my port when a hostile ship(s) is sighted?
It would be awesome if they serve as guards while still berthed. :pirate41::duel:

It might be made so that could happen when a ship is berthed as it still has a Captain, crew, and supplies.

When laid up it is out of the water and stripped.

If I am the lord of a town and berthed a ship(s), will it defend my port when a hostile ship(s) is sighted?
Nice idea, but unfortunately no. Wouldn't be very easy to add either. Especially without anyone to do it. :(

With just about zero people still doing developmenty on PotC? Don't get your hopes up.

By the way, which is the key control to take screenshots? I think it was the F10, but i'm not sure...

EDIT: OK, i found that F8 is the key to make screenshots, but makes photos in a format called .tga. I tried to upload this archive, but i can't. How can you upload these files into the forum? And how can i try to change the format into jpeg, for example?

Last edited:
I use Fraps for screenies. The free version takes them in bmp format and the commercial version takes them in jpeg format. I bought Paint Shop Pro back in 2000 and it still works fine for conversion and editing pics.

Get the free version and then get Gimp to convert them to jpeg.

If you do want to upload TGA files, you can put them in a ZIP first. It's better to convert them to JPG though.
Or use Print-Screen combined with Windows Paint. That's what I usually do.

Yeah, i use more easy the print of windows but.... you can only take one screenshot for every time you start the game, so it feels a bit tiring... :facepalm

Use full_screen = 0 and then you can Alt+Tab in and out of the game and make plenty screenshots instead. :doff

Back