• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Making use of different grass types

Don't know I just went to the aop2 aka CoAS installation from a version I bought recently and picked up the files in textures/grass - maybe a different version of the original game? Mine still does have the four levels option so it can't be that that was cut out.:shrug I take it the others are the same size?

Ahh. You have the stock game files while I got mine from GOF2. Grass.tga and especially grassshore.tga are much larger.

Ahh. You have the stock game files while I got mine from GOF2. Grass.tga and especially grassshore.tga are much larger.

Well in that case it might be worth also posting any from GOF2 that aren't already up here to add into the mix - in case the changes added more than file size, (size isn't everything but poorer quality texture files are not unknown, I've created a couple myself :rolleyes:) - and see how each performs - I would presume they were altered by GOF2 modders for a reason?

@Hylie Pistof I just have a look at the coas stock game, and the grass is indeed moving!
And it moves just as it should, nice and slow! Maybe the key to slow the
grass down in potc are hiding there. Dont know exactly where to look, but
I think its worth a try.

Last edited:
So anyone wants to do this?
Maybe @jack sparring could take a look at it?
I could write a little system to have a certain type of grass for a certain type of area, but I need to know which ones. And I if we want some special locations.

@jack sparring take a look at the different grass textures (see quote below to find them) and let me know which one fits certain areas best. In the quote you can also see how you can assign a grasstype to an area. You can use this to test it.

Once we decided which grass goes with which location type (jungle, town, seashore etc). We can assign special cases. So you can then make a list of those. For example normal jungle uses the dark grass but on Curacao you want it to use lighter grass.

If these lists are done we can implement this in-game.

You can have different grass texture files in that folder:
View attachment 23308

Then you can set which texture is used per location as Levis described before:

This relates to the files in your PROGRAM\Locations\init folder.
New game required for those changes to take effect though.

While I imagine that this feature shouldn't need to cause any major issues, I also don't consider it a very high priority.
As far as I'm concerned, we can leave it until after Beta 4 has been released.

So are we going to do anything with this? I believe it's mostly functioning.
And idea I had recently was to make grass in different colors so we could show the seasons a bit more.

I'm not convinced the Caribbean has such notably different seasons as Europe does.

So are we going to do anything with this? I believe it's mostly functioning.
And idea I had recently was to make grass in different colors so we could show the seasons a bit more.
That I have dreaming about for along time, and I have done some experiment a while
ago, but I come away from it. I'm certainly interested in doing that.
I especial like to do such things, the way the games looks, colors, water transparent's ,
birds, fish in the water and so on.

Have a look at this:
Handy Information About Caribbean Weather For Travellers
Overall the majority of the Caribbean does not vary much in temperature throughout the year at sea-level. The reason for this is simple: the surrounding ocean modifies the air temperatures over the Caribbean islands. Each island has its own unique climate and so the temperature, humidity and rainfall can vary from one island to the next.

Weather on Aruba:
Summer Weather In Aruba - A Month-By-Month Account
Autumn Weather in Aruba - Is Aruba Getting More Rain?

The temperature doesn't change that much between seasons. You might do better to make use of different grass types from one island to another. In fact, since jungle locations are all cloned from the few available in stock PoTC, that might very well be better than seasonal variation - make jungle on Cuba different to jungle on Barbados, for example.

My intention was indeed to make use of different grass types from one island to another.
And do some special things with Cozumel and Isla de Muerta.

@Pieter Boelen I have now started on my grass project again, it will maybe be a slow upstart, as I'm a little
weak thise days.
Anyway I will start with Isla de Muerta, I want it to look relay death and ghostly.
So my question is: Is there a way to get access to the whole Island, whit out to go
a quest, where you can do that.
I think it is explained well enough in this tread how to make specific grass to specific
location's, so I just to see if I can get It well enough in to my head.

Last edited:
So my question is: Is there a way to get access to the whole Island, whit out to go
a quest, where you can do that.
Set switch(4) in console.c, then press F12. That instantly puts you on Isla de Muerta. :doff

@Pieter Boelen what I mean is when you just are sailing to Isla de Muerta, you
only have access to the rand zone, the beach and the cave, you can't go to midle
or across the Island, as you can in some quest( Jack Sparrow I think)

@Pieter Boelen what I mean is when you just are sailing to Isla de Muerta, you
only have access to the rand zone, the beach and the cave, you can't go to midle
or across the Island, as you can in some quest( Jack Sparrow I think)

On Isle de Muerta - you can only go onto the beaches - you can't go inland & the beaches don't join up, so you have to sail between them, you can't go through the jungle from one beach to another. ( even in Jack Sparrow )

At least as far as I know. :read

@Talisman Oh yes you can! In the ending of Jack Sparrow, You have to work across
the Island, with some lady, and If I remember right your ship was stolen and you
walk through the Island to another beach, meeting some pirates and sail to Tortuga
with them.

Back