• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Long time Lurker finally dropping a post.

Steejo

Landlubber
Hey guys, I've been lurking on this forum on and off for about 8 years and I've decided that I should probably actually participate.

I'm currently working full time as a YouTuber and I've found myself with a bit of extra time on my hands that I'd like to volunteer to help in any way possible. I graduated from university last summer with a BA(Hons) in Entrepreneurship and Business Law. That being said my entrepreneurial mindset and understanding of legalese are not the only things that I wish to contribute. I am a bit of a self starter having taught myself web development over 6 years ago learning everything that I could get my hands on. I also started a small web development company that has had numerous large clients from targetjobs.co.uk to creating an intranet database of recipes for the Fat Duck Group. More recently I've taught myself C# to a moderate level of proficiency. I also have 5 years working in Public Relations working for clients such as Microsoft (for their launch of the 360 and Xbone) and Phillip Morris. My work with my YouTube channel has also made me proficient in recording and editing of videos.

I realise that this is starting to sound like a CV but I just wish to outline my experiences so that I can help in the best way possible. The only thing that I will ever ask in return is that I can learn something. My life is focussed around personal development and if I can help out with this amazing game whilst also learning something along the way then I will be more than happy.

As mentioned previously I work as a full time YouTuber and release 8 videos a day on my channel, although this is a lot of videos that I have to record I also have a lot of free time (it's great not having to commute ><). I would also be very happy to do any Voice work that is needed.

So I'm not sure if I'm what you guys will be looking for but as I said, I'm happy to help in any capacity.

Cheers,

Steejo.

Sounds like there are a lot of things you could help with if you wish. Any idea what you would like to be involved in?
Do you have a link to your YouTube channel that we could have a look at?

One thing that springs to mind is editing some promotional videos that we can post to our own YouTube channel.
The last one we created especially for that was done by myself, but I am hardly a professional YouTuber and also have other things I could be doing with my time.... :wp

Ahoy Steejo, welcome aboard mate!

That is quite a resume you have there, I am certain we can find a place for you to contribute! Is there anything in particular you would like to work on? Based on what you have posted above, I can see a couple of areas where you might be quite useful. The menu system in Unity is quite similar to web development, @Captain Murphy would be much more capable of explaining that than I. He may also need your help with something else though, he should be along shortly. If you could provide some examples of your work, that would be awesome! :onya

We would be glad to have your assistance with promotion on Youtube as well, once we have something official to promote that is. Captain Murphy may need your assistance there as well. We plan on a big media push once we get to a certain point in development. I'll check out your channel when I get the chance.

We would be glad to have your assistance with promotion on Youtube as well, once we have something official to promote that is.
@Flannery and I do have some ideas on that, but we haven't yet gotten around to executing them due to lack of time for both of us.

My channel is www.youtube.com/rotnsteejo (I didn't link it initially because I didn't want to seem disingenous, sometimes people get the wrong idea when it comes to advertising your own youtube channel :( )

Like I said, wherever you need me I'll help, I am more than confident to do anything/learn anything and I can take on a fairly large workload.

Short portfolio of websites my company and I have worked on:
http://nbsr.e-dendrite.com
http://targetjobs.co.uk
http://functionjunction.co.uk
http://verypcc.com
and many more.

I also have a large collection of friends with YouTube channels ranging from a couple of thousand subscribers up to ~500k subs that I could rope in when things need promoting.

I think the main area that I want to get into (when you are ready for it) would be voice over work. But as I said, I'm equally happy doing anything as long as I can learn :)

~S

At the moment we have basically no voice work to be done, unless you want to narrate any promotional videos.
Anything else that tickles your fancy?

Yeah, I'm happy to help with menus and UI if there is someone willing to get me up to speed with Unity etc and obviously any video stuff that needs done.

~S

Hello and welcome on board!

I have actually run into your youtube channel before, and even recently - watching your take on "Stranded Deep"

(A good recommended game for you all if you want a survival game based on being stranded on small island in the Pacific Ocean - having to explore and dare yourself off the island - above and below the water line - to survive - and with NO ZOMBIES!! :) It's uses Unity also - and is going to support oculus rift)

Anyhow... :-D

We do want to make a good trailer soon (as Pieter mentioned) - but we are still waiting for - and being able to use assets from the latest developments of our tech demo. We are getting close, but it cannot be done in the manner needed quite yet.

When the time comes, your editing expertise will be wanted to work with me to create that trailer. I am also writing a music piece - especially tailored for that trailer.

And of course I am sure your expertise and ideas can be valuable with the promotion department ;-)

We do want to make a good trailer soon (as Pieter mentioned) - but we are still waiting for - and being able to use assets from the latest developments of our tech demo. We are getting close, but it cannot be done in the manner needed quite yet.
At least we do have a recent development trailer and indeed a proper one cannot be made until a bit later during development.
But how about the "music videos" we were thinking of? Those can be done before the trailer.

Indeed they can ;-) And they definitely will :)

I just need to finish the music first ;-)
And that is what I have started doing these last few days, as I am now almost 100% finished with the "Life is Feudal" music. Deadline is middle of March, but most of it is finalized, just tweaking it a little + the mixes and mastering will have to be done after that.

I am revisiting the final works of HoO as well with my new and upgraded sound banks to see what it can add to it - which is rather allot :-D

And new mixes + masters will be done as well.

So... Yeah... I am rolling up my sleeves, cause there is allot to be done ;-)

Indeed they can ;-) And they definitely will :)

I just need to finish the music first ;-)
And that is what I have started doing these last few days, as I am now almost 100% finished with the "Life is Feudal" music. Deadline is middle of March, but most of it is finalized, just tweaking it a little + the mixes and mastering will have to be done after that.

I am revisiting the final works of HoO as well with my new and upgraded sound banks to see what it can add to it - which is rather allot :-D

And new mixes + masters will be done as well.

So... Yeah... I am rolling up my sleeves, cause there is allot to be done ;-)
Sounds exciting!

What about the music tracks that have already been posted publicly on the ModDB? Could those have music videos made for them?
We already have your 2013 trailer which contains the entirety of the "Hearts of Oak" track and my 2014 version which contains "Post Captain's Lullaby" in full (together with excerpts from some other tracks).
But how about "Rum Bonfire", for example? Or the tracks by different composers?

I will be revisiting all those pieces, mate.
Even the hearts of oak piece on the old trailer is outdated compared to the version that is on the music thread I have.

Those processes will be quite short, as it is merely a case of applying other/new versions of the same instruments that is already there.
Minor tweaks might be done.

But making videos with featured assets for the other composers music is fine by me, and if they are OK with it Mr. Steejo here is more than welcome to do so.

My pieces are not ready for that atm.
Like I said earlier - if I am making these videos for my pieces it will be of the 100% finished works. As it stands right now - none of them are ;-)

In terms of ship modelling - the textures of my music pieces are not that great, maybe 1024x1024 - and now I am upgrading them to 4k textures ;-)

Understood. Perfectionist, eh? :cheeky

I've sent a message to see if there are any other composers' tracks that perhaps we could start with.

Indeed I am ;-)

Even more so - I expect nothing but the best from myself, regardless of paid or voluntary work.

And as my name is part of much more than just a few notes on a sheet of paper - I expect and demand even more of myself ;-)

And if I did not - that would be utmost disrespectful towards everyone else on this project who demand it from themselves, and who put their heart and free time in every aspect of it ;-)

Sounds great! I'm looking forward to hearing the musical masterpieces when they are complete. I'm rather impressed that you've run across my channel before I'm a rather small fish in a friggin' huge ocean. Stranded deep is an impressive game, lacking content at the moment but that's to be expected, looks fantastic too. Looking forward to working with you Flannery.

Yeah sounds good, I like the tune. What sort of assets will be available to work with/what style are you looking for? Do you have any examples of videos that you guys like already that you would like me to use the same style of?

~S

Closest style in video is probably the two development trailers we have already posted.
For the content itself, I figure development screenshots and perhaps some extracts from Captain Murphy's videos if they serve a purpose.
If you have any particular stuff you would like included, let us know and we'll see if we can find it.

Ahh ok, nothing too cinematic then. Do you have any interiors or concept art of interiors that can be used? I'll pull anything from CM's videos that I can find that may suit.

I have a great idea for a cinematic video to go with the song that can be made once the necessary constituent parts have been completed.

~S

You can find a bunch of screenshots here: http://heartsofoakgame.imgur.com/
The Sphynx Test album contains some ship interiors.

We also have this tavern interior:
But that isn't yet adapted for the new engine. Still looks good though.

Back