• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Notice List of Development Roles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, with everyone getting beribboned I suppose I should throw my tricorn into the ring, although I really don't know where I would fit in. Possibly helping Pieter for now, and definately working as a lab rat when the demo is up and running. :nerbz

Helping Pieter with the creative support role sounds like a good idea. :onya

I don't know what terrain modeling has to do with music and SFX:p Maybe 3D Modeling would fit better for me? I don't really care though...:D

By the way, well done for organizing the work. That will help a lot:onya

I don't know what terrain modeling has to do with music and SFX:p Maybe 3D Modeling would fit better for me? I don't really care though...:D
Right you are... don't know what happened there. o_O Fixed that now!

Just out of curiosity...whats the difference between a modeler and a 3d-Artist?^^

A "Modeler" used to be someone part of the PotC/CoAS modeling team with access to the hidden Modeling Team forum.
When this was first set up, the "Modeler" user group was also hidden; it was purely a behind-the-scenes thing to make things work the way we wanted.
Unfortunately, that project never really took off though, so it was eventually applied to people who were doing modeling for PotC/CoAS regardless of them being part of that team.

The new "3D Artist" is specifically meant for modelers on the Hearts of Oak project.
The same goes for all the other new yellow-lined ribbons that Armada set up.

Though that doesn't mean nothing should be done about it. In fact, it seems to me that the old "Modeler" group has no further use.
Should we remove those ribbons now altogether and just keep people who modded for PotC and CoAS under the general "Modder" term?

On the other hand, it does help to show what expertise people have. And not all Modelers are going to be working on HoO.

I say keep it. I do modding but not modeling like Captain Armstrong, Armada, and Bava.

Should ZarethPL not be listed here too? He was working on the cannon effects and recoil.

Who is going to coordinate which models are being made? (A modeling coordinator, of sorts.)
I'll volunteer to do that if you like, based on this system:

It would also be nice to have some correspondence between the the different teams indicating what needs to get done during a certain time frame, say every week or so. People won't necessarily see every post of that nature in a dedicated thread. People would then reply all with whatever tasks they decide to take on, to avoid redundant work.

I already have a preliminary list of weapons that will fit the general 1730 to Napoleonic timeframe which should be distributed. If we don't want to go that rout, I'll post a new thread.

Modelers will still be free to do what they want, but if they're willing to choose projects based on what is needed most, this will make things go a bit faster. Thoughts?

New idea:

I can also act as a music coordinator, distributing requests and references all types of period music so that we can get the widest spread of moods possible.

Musician participation would, of course, be voluntary based on what they want to work on. If they like old music as much as I do, that shouldn't be a problem.

I could do the same for seafaring film music. I've got about everything it is possible to find of that.

Who is going to coordinate which models are being made? (A modeling coordinator, of sorts.)
[...]
Modelers will still be free to do what they want, but if they're willing to choose projects based on what is needed most, this will make things go a bit faster. Thoughts?
I reckon that would be a good system to use. Alongside threads like the one for ships, which outline what is needed/wanted along with levels of priority, then we could use the notification thread once development is in full swing to keep all modellers up-to-date on who's doing what etc.
If you want to organise that, along with the period music references, then I'll add you to the Coordination group.

OK, that's sorted then. I suppose you could mention that role in your signature, along with links to the relevant threads?

EDIT: One other thing I was thinking: does anyone think it's worth changing the old "Modder" and "Modeller" groups to "Storm Modder" and "Storm Modeller", to prevent confusion with the new HoO groups?

EDIT: One other thing I was thinking: does anyone think it's worth changing the old "Modder" and "Modeller" groups to "Storm Modder" and "Storm Modeller", to prevent confusion with the new HoO groups?
That does make sense. :doff

That is a pretty darned good list you came up with there and most of you guys aren't even professionals. I would just add a couple items for you to consider.

First is you're missing terrain generation. You could loop that together with modelers, but that's really not fair. Terrain has really become its own discipline and terrain modelers are often a completely different breed with preferred tools, etc. Often my terrain modelers would best double as structure modelers as well. I would usually keep my lifeform/entity modelers and terrain modelers apart. The entity modeler could model a rifle or tank expertly, but was not great with cliffs, vegetation - or bricks and glass. Some modelers can do anything, but most often you will find they have a particular speciality. While terrain might not be as important in a video game than it is in a training simulation/simulator, it is still important for realistic immersion and I think you need a separate category for terrain modeler. Often he will know all kinds of tricks for conversion or getting the particular terrain type to work with whatever engine/model that others don't have a clue about.

You have a Flash guy in there, but I think you should reword the description to GUI (Graphical User Interface) coder or Interface developer. Flash is only one minor tool in a box full of really capable software applications. He should be very familiar with ISO 9241 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9241 and API development. He should have experience with dialogue managers and hopefully own his own tools. There are tons of commercial off the shelf applications. Some are good and some are not. Some are REALLY expensive. I paid tens of thousands for licenses in the past. Some are becoming dated/obsolete.

In my opinion, the GUI developer is the single most important guy on the team after the Master coder (Hammie I'm assuming). Hammie has likely been performing this task himself using the available UDK toolset, but if you really want to make his life easier, he would be working hand in hand with a really good GUI coder doing the Vulcan mind meld together. The GUI will make or break your game and I do not believe it can come to pass progressing to Alpha stage until you get this guy on the team. I could be wrong. The UDK GUI developer tools may have advanced enough to do all of the complex navigation windows, sailing controls/views, and multi-deck broadside controls that you're going to need - but I don't think so.

The bonus is also that usually a good GUI coder can do anything, so if he's up to date on controls and panes, he's helping out with something else. Unfortunately all the guys I know that do this command top dollar and I don't think would be interested in this endeavor. If my commercial version gets off the ground, my team will help you in this area.

MK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back