• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Unconfirmed Bug Line breaks do not work in first line of dialog

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Playing the "Artois Voysey" sidequest, for once I let him keep his secret. After paying and waiting for him to be healed after being shot, I meet him at the port, where he says "Thank you, captain! You've saved my life yet again. Now I think I can tell you my secret." That's all he says. He doesn't continue on to tell me the secret and I need to look at the questbook to see what he told me.

In fact, his line is supposed to be almost identical to the one he uses in the jungle if you tell him he's no pirate, you're his captain, so out with it. In both cases, there's the introductory bit ("Thank you, captain!..." or "You make a good point..."), then a line break, then the story about Nigel Blythe, another line break, and the location of the treasure. The version in the jungle works perfectly. The version in port doesn't get past the first line break.

As an experiment, I copied the line from the jungle to replace the line in the port. So, although it wouldn't make sense, after being shot and recovered, Artois should say exactly the same as if you'd demanded his secret in the jungle. The line break still didn't work - with the exact same text line that does work in the jungle!

Alright, what else is different from the jungle scene? In the jungle, you ask why the pirates attacked Artois, he says he's bound by the code, you say he's no pirate and you're his captain, and then he makes his speech. In port, he goes straight into the speech. Next experiment: I added an intermediate dialog case so that Artois thanks you for saving him again, you acknowledge him, and then he makes his speech. That worked - the speech was correctly divided into parts by the line breaks and the whole lot showed up. The revised dialog is going into the next update.

Conclusion: "\n" line breaks in a dialog don't work if it's the NPC's first line, but do work if the dialog has already started and the line with breaks is in a follow-up case.

Good find! Very weird effect though, but that might explain some of the long-time confusion I've had over that.

Playing the "Artois Voysey" sidequest, for once I let him keep his secret. After paying and waiting for him to be healed after being shot, I meet him at the port, where he says "Thank you, captain! You've saved my life yet again. Now I think I can tell you my secret." That's all he says. He doesn't continue on to tell me the secret and I need to look at the questbook to see what he told me.

In fact, his line is supposed to be almost identical to the one he uses in the jungle if you tell him he's no pirate, you're his captain, so out with it. In both cases, there's the introductory bit ("Thank you, captain!..." or "You make a good point..."), then a line break, then the story about Nigel Blythe, another line break, and the location of the treasure. The version in the jungle works perfectly. The version in port doesn't get past the first line break.

As an experiment, I copied the line from the jungle to replace the line in the port. So, although it wouldn't make sense, after being shot and recovered, Artois should say exactly the same as if you'd demanded his secret in the jungle. The line break still didn't work - with the exact same text line that does work in the jungle!

Alright, what else is different from the jungle scene? In the jungle, you ask why the pirates attacked Artois, he says he's bound by the code, you say he's no pirate and you're his captain, and then he makes his speech. In port, he goes straight into the speech. Next experiment: I added an intermediate dialog case so that Artois thanks you for saving him again, you acknowledge him, and then he makes his speech. That worked - the speech was correctly divided into parts by the line breaks and the whole lot showed up. The revised dialog is going into the next update.

Conclusion: "\n" line breaks in a dialog don't work if it's the NPC's first line, but do work if the dialog has already started and the line with breaks is in a follow-up case.
I had a weird thing like that happen when I added the journal entry when you start as Hilda in freeplay. I wanted a couple of linebreaks to make the text easier to read, and split it up in 3 paragraphs. but some text between \n's kept disappearing, I lost entire paragraphs depending on where and how many linebreaks I used. I eventually got it to work by random chance by putting linebreaks here and there, but it sounds like it might be the same problem. its not the end of the world I guess, but if you dig further into it, maybe try putting several linebreaks and see if text reappears?

I'm posting this error here because it looks like it might be caused by this. It's from asking about Santo Domingo's city.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's not because of this thread's issue since it's not the NPC's opening dialogue line.

BTW, you guys should totally have a sticky thread in here for reporting dialogue errors/typos, since making a new thread for each one of them seems excessive. For now I'm just gonna report this one to the new fixes thread, since it's an easy fix.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    288.3 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
you guys should totally have a sticky thread in here for reporting dialogue errors/typos, since making a new thread for each one of them seems excessive. For now I'm just gonna report this one to the new fixes thread, since it's an easy fix.
If you make one, I'll sticky it. :doff

Back