• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Kraken Tentacles and Plane of Sand

The tentacles are done, however I haven't tested them ingame. GM-viewer shows them just fine though. I made 4 different tentacle models, and then turned each of them in 4 main directions, so that makes total of 16 tentacles. They all use the same texture, but I suggest someone makes a decent retexture.

Tentacles are uploaded on PA ftp under Iron Roger Flint.
sailr.gif

Please inform if any problems should occure with the models.

AWESOME! Thanks very much! I'll try to get some testing done with them. :yes

Question: Could you rename the files to something like:
"tentacle1_0"
"tentacle1_90"
"tentacle1_180"
"tentacle1_270"
"tentacle2_0"
"tentacle2_90"
"tentacle2_180"
"tentacle2_270"

That would make it easier for me to figure out which one is which.

Also, I notice you hadn't been made a "Modder" before, so I rectified that now. :doff

Thanks again! That should help. Not sure when I'll have time to do some testing with them;
I'm hard pressed for time these days because tomorrow I'm off for a one-week course.
But I'll try to at least check if they work this evening. :yes

Yep, the Kraken tentacles sure do work! See attached.
Now all I need to do is to rewrite the code so they get being generated nicely around the ship.
Right now, the models used doesn't depend on the direction yet and they all seem to like generating in front of the ship,
instead of around it. I'll work on that in a week, I hope.

I might need the tentacles rotated in angles of 45 degrees too, but I'm not sure yet.
I'll let you know when I have done some work on improving the code. :yes

Those look awesome IRF !!! greate work !, you too pieter, of course !

Here's the code I'm using for the Kraken attack if anyone's interested.
In PROGRAM\NK.c:
Code:
void KrakenAttack(aref rCharacter, int iSwimQuantity)
// Character and number of tentacles
{
if (!bSeaActive) return;
int delay = 0;
for (int i=0; i < iSwimQuantity; i++)
{
PostEvent("CreateKrakenTentacle", delay, "i", rCharacter);
delay = delay + rand(2000);
}
}

#event_handler("CreateKrakenTentacle", "KrakenTentacle");
void KrakenTentacle()
{
if (!bSeaActive) return;
aref rCharacter = GetEventData();
if(CheckAttribute(rCharacter,"Ship"))
{
switch(rand(15))
{
case  0: Direct_AddGood(rCharacter, "Oil", "tentacle1_0",   0.0, 105, 10 + rand(20), Degree2Radian(rand(360))); break;
case  1: Direct_AddGood(rCharacter, "Oil", "tentacle1_90",  0.0, 105, 10 + rand(20), Degree2Radian(rand(360))); break;
case  2: Direct_AddGood(rCharacter, "Oil", "tentacle1_180", 0.0, 105, 10 + rand(20), Degree2Radian(rand(360))); break;
case  3: Direct_AddGood(rCharacter, "Oil", "tentacle1_270", 0.0, 105, 10 + rand(20), Degree2Radian(rand(360))); break;
case  4: Direct_AddGood(rCharacter, "Oil", "tentacle2_0",   0.0, 105, 10 + rand(20), Degree2Radian(rand(360))); break;
case  5: Direct_AddGood(rCharacter, "Oil", "tentacle2_90",  0.0, 105, 10 + rand(20), Degree2Radian(rand(360))); break;
case  6: Direct_AddGood(rCharacter, "Oil", "tentacle2_180", 0.0, 105, 10 + rand(20), Degree2Radian(rand(360))); break;
case  7: Direct_AddGood(rCharacter, "Oil", "tentacle2_270", 0.0, 105, 10 + rand(20), Degree2Radian(rand(360))); break;
case  8: Direct_AddGood(rCharacter, "Oil", "tentacle3_0",   0.0, 105, 10 + rand(20), Degree2Radian(rand(360))); break;
case  9: Direct_AddGood(rCharacter, "Oil", "tentacle3_90",  0.0, 105, 10 + rand(20), Degree2Radian(rand(360))); break;
case 10: Direct_AddGood(rCharacter, "Oil", "tentacle3_180", 0.0, 105, 10 + rand(20), Degree2Radian(rand(360))); break;
case 11: Direct_AddGood(rCharacter, "Oil", "tentacle3_270", 0.0, 105, 10 + rand(20), Degree2Radian(rand(360))); break;
case 12: Direct_AddGood(rCharacter, "Oil", "tentacle4_0",   0.0, 105, 10 + rand(20), Degree2Radian(rand(360))); break;
case 13: Direct_AddGood(rCharacter, "Oil", "tentacle4_90",  0.0, 105, 10 + rand(20), Degree2Radian(rand(360))); break;
case 14: Direct_AddGood(rCharacter, "Oil", "tentacle4_180", 0.0, 105, 10 + rand(20), Degree2Radian(rand(360))); break;
case 15: Direct_AddGood(rCharacter, "Oil", "tentacle4_270", 0.0, 105, 10 + rand(20), Degree2Radian(rand(360))); break;
}
}
}
Of course I'm using some of CouchcaptainCharles' DirectSail functions, which are not compatible with CoAS at this time.
So adding this to CoAS wouldn't be too easy, I imagine. But feel free to try. :doff

Is there going to be sound in the event?

For example you could have that crazy old man in the film POTC: Dead man's chest shouting "KRAKEN!" followed by the scary Kraken music. :shoot:

Yes. You need sound. If you didn't have sound it would be like watching some one trip over a banana skin with no comical sound. :doff

Well, actually there IS the sounds of the explosions and water splashing. Forgot about that. :facepalm

Music would make it more dramatic.

Also it's possible to make the tentacles look even better in COAS (maybe in POTC too) by adding a lightmap to models. I might experiment on that later.

Could some sort of whirling water effect be added (to dim the water a bit) to the tentacles or the area in wich they spawn? The tentacles end just an inch under the water's surface now, and that might look a bit odd to some people.
rolleyes.gif

What would be you people's opinion on the (low) possibility of a random Kraken attack at sea as a DirectSail encounter?
We could limit this to just the earlier periods or add an attribute to the player that enables/disables the chance.
That way, it could be turned on/off in various storylines. Any thoughts?

Any storyline after Jack Sparrow is OFF...

And then a low possibility for all the ones before, including Jack Sparrow with an attribute that CAN turn it off :yes

My 5 cents

Back