• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Jungle Cruise (Disney+ original; music by James Newton Howard & Metallica)

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
I like adventure.
I like C.S. Forester (of Hornblower fame).
I like the film "The African Queen" based on a novel of his (this DVD was actually given to me by my father!).
s-l300.jpg

I like James Newton Howard.
I like his music for Disney films (Dinosaur, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Treasure Planet).
And as it turns out, Metallica does some pretty good stuff too.

243669925_277993405_tcimg_F87962F1.jpg

I like Pirates of the Caribbean.
I like Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

In other words, I have every reason to have been looking forward to "Jungle Cruise" for quite some time now!
And a few days ago, the day was finally there. It was released!

I listed to the soundtrack on Spotify straight away; and honestly, it's just a TON of fun!
Perhaps not quite as sweepingly emotional as Curse of the Black Pearl, but SO much more orchestral and upbeat.
As per usual, James Newton Howard hits another home run.

That main theme is catchy as *insert word of your choice*
Especially as heard in "A Steamer to Brazil".
And those "Nothing Else Matters" variations are way out there as well.

I wanted to watch the movie the past two days, but nobody I know gives a shit about it.
And 22 euro's for me by myself on Disney+ is retarted.

Bugger.
I actually DO really want to see this.
No matter what anyone else thinks.

Saw it.
I see what they did there!

It's awesome.
Thank you, Disney!
You are awesome. :bow

Now a question:
Where did those brass navigational dividers in the film come from?
And were they ever intercepted by security at Miami Airport?

I am indeed interested in it.
Not sure if I should expect something deal breaking. But can't know that for sure without watching it.
What could possibly go wrong anyway? Judging by your post above it was actually good.

Sorry, but not sorry.
This film is just riiiight up my alley.
And my enthusiasm is... pretty much all the way!

You know what this means for a true pirate?
It means LOOT!

But what kind of loot?
I could reeeaaally use some help thinking along here.

Some items that catch my fancy:

41DVFW4HvxS._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Price: € 52,99
The Jungle Cruise: The Wild History of Walt's Favorite Ride

81w9ptlo8fS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Price: € 34,10
Jungle Cruise Movie Poster Art Stills Decoratie Woonkamer Slaapkamer Canvas-20x30 cm Geen Frame (50x75cm)

71dKTfgmH5S._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Price: € 11,63
Jungle Cruise Movie Poster Artist muismat gaming muismat Mat voor kantoorbenodigdheden Gestikte randen Non-Slip Rubber Base 7.9 "×9.8"

B086WP5CRG.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

Price: € 5,31 / € 0,99
Jungle Cruise From Hell To Hereafter: A True Story About A Father's Love (English Edition)

iu

Dora and the Lost City of Gold
(Just kidding! But it's got a good composer attached. Maybe it's worth a pirate whirl?)

71x3W6nKolL._AC_SL1426_.jpg

Price: € 32,89
LCZM Doe-het-zelf olieverfschilderij schilderen op nummer volwassen kit voor beginners kinderen, creatieve digitale canvas film, Jungle Cruise/40 x 50 cm

71TYz9hjawL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Price: € 31,79
Jungle Cruise Movie Poster Art Stills Decoratie Woonkamer Slaapkamer Canvas -50x70cmx1pcs -Geen Frame

41qjhTF-IVL.jpg

Price: <unknown> (I SWEAR there was an ebook available yesterday!! EDIT: Never mind, see below.)
Goldman, M: Making Of Disney's Jungle Cruise Hardcover – 15 juni 2021

31JwzbUb4GL._AC_.jpg

Price: € 18,56
Jungle Navigation Company Logo Classic Mok | Beste cadeau grappige koffie mokken 12 oz

There doesn't even seem to be an Art Book yet?

So what to get, what to get?
Honestly, I'm surprised at how little merchandising I see.
Wasn't that supposed to be Disney's whole deal...?

Last edited:
And yet more stuff:

B01N1KMP07.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

Price: € 6,60 / € 50,99
https://www.amazon.nl/Skipper-Stori...ywords="jungle+cruise"&qid=1628025862&sr=8-49

550x827.jpg

Price: € 25,99 (expected delivery time: 10 weeks)
More Skipper Stories: True Tales from Disneyland's Jungle Cruise
Price: € 7,04 (ebook)
More Skipper Stories: True Tales from Disneyland's Jungle Cruise (English Edition)

51JlF6yMMIL._AC_.jpg

Price: € 59,77 (plus € 5,99 delivery / import costs)
The Jungle Cruise (DVD)

71kW-29RxrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Price: € 32,89 (plus € 6,00 delivery / import costs)
Jungle Cruise Dekbedovertrek Set, Dwayne Johnson Emily Blunt Fan Gift Beddengoedset, Jungle Cruise Film 3-delige set (Jungle-2, 140x210cm+50x75cmx2)

1200x1082.jpg

Price: € 49,95
Jungle Cruise - Funko Pop! Rides - Mickey Mouse

51hI5vZUx7L.jpg

Price: € 7,15 (ebook) / € 48,99 (paperback)
From Jungle Cruise Skipper to Disney Legend: 40 Years of Magical Memories at Disney (English Edition)

516rvs+zEAL._SX497_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Price: € 7,71
Disney Parks Presents: Jungle Cruise: Animals! Board book – Geïllustreerd, 18 september 2018

B01N0QGS0L.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

Price: € 4,73 / € 44,99
Treasure of the Ten Tags: A Disneyland Adventure (English Edition)

51ulNE9BWUL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Price: € 7,65
Froy Disneyland Californië United Air Lines Adventureland Jungle Cruise Hippo door Stan GalliWall Tin Teken Retro Iron Poster Schilderij Plaque Metal Sheet Vintage Gepersonaliseerde Kunst Creativiteit Decoratie Ambachten Voor Cafe Bar Garage Home

71w51qtZNjL._AC_SY879_.jpg

Price: € 19,18
Disneyland En California – Les Conduites d'air Unis – Adventureland Jungle cruise-nijlpaard – Poster vliegtuig van Stan Galli c.1960s – Prime Unryu rijstpapier kunstdruk 43 x 56 cm

Last edited:
Okay, so that's a lot of products! :shock
I will have to watch the movie to say for sure, but for now I would focus on the soundtrack and the behind the scenes stuff.
That's what generally interests me when I like a movie.
After that I would say maybe a poster or that mug. The mug could possibly be an in world item, so it seems more special to me.
As for the ones I am not so sure about. These are the bed sheets and the mousepad.

I will post here later if I have more thoughts on it. ;)

At first I found the soundtrack to be a little disappointing, but after listening to it a few more times it's starting to grow on me.

I've found James Newton Howard to be very good at writing "situational music", which is what I call soundtracks that are perfectly in-sync with what is happening on screen. So it will probably "click" a lot more after seeing the actual movie.

Okay, so that's a lot of products! :shock
Not really...
I'd expect anything and everything with a logo/poster stamped on it.
But nope.
Most of the stuff I posted isn't even directly related to the film itself at all.

I will have to watch the movie to say for sure, but for now I would focus on the soundtrack and the behind the scenes stuff.
Soundtrack isn't available for purchase.
Apparently one of the boutique music labels is trying.

That Making Of book could be interesting.
Shame though it seems to be only digital.
But thankfully it seems Kindle DOES have it; for a substantially less insane price.
Maybe one day I'll try it.

After that I would say maybe a poster or that mug.
Agreed; those are cool.

The mug could possibly be an in world item, so it seems more special to me.
Not even sure if it is actually linked to the film at all.
It IS a nice design though.
Speaks to the imagination...

As for the ones I am not so sure about. These are the bed sheets and the mousepad.
Those seem a bit useless to me.
I use a mousepad with some padding anyway.

At first I found the soundtrack to be a little disappointing, but after listening to it a few more times it's starting to grow on me.
Have to admit, first time I went to listen I also felt like it was longer than it really is.
But by now, I've listened to it... QUUUIIITE a few times on repeat.

I've found James Newton Howard to be very good at writing "situational music", which is what I call soundtracks that are perfectly in-sync with what is happening on screen. So it will probably "click" a lot more after seeing the actual movie.
It definitely fits the film like a glove.
And my enjoyment certainly went up after seeing it.
Makes more sense now... and I can imagine the story progression to go with it.

I don't suppose it's THE single most stellar soundtrack ever composed.
But it is a very decent one; and these types only come along once in a blue Monday.
So I'm very glad that JNH got another chance to write something exciting and fun. :woot

A few days back, I decided to take the plunge and pay Disney+'s somewhat annoyingly high price for this movie anyway.
I just love it SO much that I really do believe they deserve this direct support of mine.

I didn't need to do this.
Not only had I already watched it in cinema for half the price; I had also already pirated it.
But despite this being a pirate website, I do not like pirating that which is worth paying good money for.

In fact, as much as it might SEEM that I am a pirate, I am honestly not sure if I am.
When I was young, I never had any ambitions to be a pirate. And I still don't. Not really.
Inspired by my dear "Amsterdam" and the Dutch United East India Trading Company (Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie), my dream was always to become a merchant captain.
Anyone who paid even the slightest attention over the years will have noticed I had "Captain of the Amsterdam" as my signature for the longest of times.
And never forget the New Horizons sidequest that @Bartolomeu o Portugues added me to; and the Spiegelretourschip that @Doober and @Kazeite kindly made especially for me.

@Kazeite is the same person who created the beautiful New Horizons "Black Pearl" model to replace the inaccurate stock game version.
In other words: someone we owe a great debt of gratitude to! :bow

@Doober was a "simple beginning modder" who kindly decided he wanted to give me my favourite ship in "my" own game.
He had no modelling experience to speak of (as I recall), so he simply took the original game Corvette model and retextured her to look like the "Amsterdam".
This is when @Kazeite, after making the Pearl, decided to step in and help him make some adjustments to the geometry to make her look even more like the replica at het Scheepvaartmuseum.
In other words: he is a person I myself owe a very great debt of gratitude to! :bow

Even now, my signature has little to do with pirating.
That "At World's End"-style Maelstrom is a literal development from the Storm that our dear (likely departed by now :( ) @Cerez realised I continue to endure in my personal life.
She voluntarily made a signature for me of SS Great Britain in a storm with young Horatio Hornblower on the side.
At my request, some year later or so, she kindly made the variation that you see today:
Our midshipman now grown up into Captain Horatio Hornblower, R.N. as played by the late great Gregory Peck.

How did I get from Jungle Cruise all the way to talking about myself?
Simple.
Because this brand new Disney+ film is as much a part of myself as any of those other things I just mentioned.
After finishing my rewatch last night, that confirmed what my first impression said already:
In its own crazy little way... this movie is just right.

Anyone who paid even the slightest attention over the years will have noticed I had "Captain of the Amsterdam" as my signature for the longest of times.
Funny story:
*I* didn't make my own signature art.
Our long-silent member @Rico did.
Who somehow I see browsing the forum again right now.
Well... ain't that interesting? :wp

Thanks very much for your kindness back in those days, Mr. Rico, sir!
Still appreciate it. :cheers

Long-silent and newly returned, if only for the time being! That signature was made a long time ago indeed @Pieter Boelen.. :doff I decided to dust off PotC for another playthrough so am here for a bit again - with a few tech support questions as well :modding:p

Long-silent and newly returned, if only for the time being!
Good timing then!
Ownership of the community officially transferred to me earlier this month.
So from here on out, EVERYTHING is going to change!
And everyone in the community gets a chance to influence our new heading.

There's definitely a LOT of pots brewing on the fire.
So hope you'll stick around at least long enough to...
Ask those questions of yours! :rofl

Good timing then!
Ownership of the community officially transferred to me earlier this month.
So from here on out, EVERYTHING is going to change!
And everyone in the community gets a chance to influence our new heading.

There's definitely a LOT of pots brewing on the fire.
So hope you'll stick around at least long enough to...
Ask those questions of yours! :rofl
I'll stick around for a bit, definitely! :cheers Real life permitting, of course.. :wp

Indeed, I saw! The king is dead, long live the king.. I actually half-remember congratulating you already when we talked on Facebook a month back, but maybe that's a false memory then.. Must have been the rum!

Bug - Stuck after taking Bridgetown (Tales of the Sea Hawk)

Back