• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Is this the way, I change the greeting for the blacksmith in San Juan?

Fluen

Freebooter
According to the file "IslaMuelle" in program/character/init the blacksmith shares his greeting with Zaid Murro. I've also found the file "Greetings_alias" in the folder resource/ini/aliases and located Zaid Murro's greeting and the connected voice (spa_m_a_002) in resource/voice/english.

Now, I want to make a greeting especially for the grumpy blacksmith rather than have him share a greeting with anybody else. I've chosen two more aggresive voices (spa_m_a_006 and spa_m_a_007) for him.

Can I simply make a new entry for the blacksmith in Greetings_alias (say Gr_grumpy_blacksmith) and change the greeting line in IslaMuelle to Gr_grumpy_blacksmith? And then either start a new game or use the console to change him?

I'd rather ask first than make a mess of the sounds in a game, I'm still playing. So if I'm about to make a horrible mistake with the above approach, I'd be very grateful to receive a warning.

It should work, but there's a limit on how many aliases can be added. We already hit that limit once:
Engine Limitation - Too many sound aliases
I deleted some duplicate greetings which made it possible to add a few more. If you do create this alias, go to somewhere such as the lanterns on Port Royale's dock at night. Then quit the game, check "system.log", and see if there is anything about "nightinsects". I'm not sure if the Port Royale lanterns will trigger this, so continue playing and every time you quit the game, check "system.log" again. If you do see anything about "nightinsects", which is the last alias to be defined, then it means there's at least one alias too many.

Yes. You should generally find at least two log files there, "compile.log" and "system.log" - or just "compile" and "system" if Windows isn't showing file extensions. Sometimes there will also be "error.log" (or "error").

Sigh! It worked, but the nightinsects immediately showed up in the system.log. :(

I looked Greetings_alias through to see, if I could find some other Spanish character with a suitable greeting, but didn't find one perfectly suitable. There is one or two, that might do it.

Do you know, if it's the number of character entries or the number of voice lines, that cause the overflow?

It's the number of aliases defined in "Greetings_alias.ini" and "sound_alias.ini" combined.

Have you installed the April 2023 update yet? You'd probably need to start a new game for the revised alias files, plus various character definitions and other files which use the aliases, to take effect. If you're using the current update and have hit the alias limit, I may need to do some more tidying.

No, I still play the version from last year. If there's hope of making a grumpy greeting in the newer package, I will hold on to hope.

Back