• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Is there a tailor in Governor's Harbour? And other map-related problems.

Take at look at sound.c in the program - sound folder. Maximus has set the main room in the brothel to play the three sound files razg_001, razg_002 and razg_004 from the resource - sounds - ambient - brothel folder. I simply deleted two of the commands and changed the third to play Brothel_004. It's not much prettier, but less overwhelming.

You could probably also use the dirty method and overwrite the three mentioned sound files with some silent ones.

No guarantees for game stability, though. I'm not a modder - just a "poke around" type of person.

Take at look at sound.c in the program - sound folder. Maximus has set the main room in the brothel to play the three sound files razg_001, razg_002 and razg_004 from the resource - sounds - ambient - brothel folder. I simply deleted two of the commands and changed the third to play Brothel_004. It's not much prettier, but less overwhelming.

You could probably also use the dirty method and overwrite the three mentioned sound files with some silent ones.

No guarantees for game stability, though. I'm not a modder - just a "poke around" type of person.

I don't have much free time right now to test this myself, but anything is better than many sound files overlapping and making me want to exit the brothel as soon as i can, instead of wanting to have some "good time" there :D I bet @Grey Roger can fix it up rather quickly as he has ventured through brothels for quite some time, if he has any time for it himself of course!

But here is a quick fix for it, i couldn't make any ambient sound to play in the brothel room (tested nevis brothel), but main hall should be somewhat bearable now, with little ambient chatter from time to time...

sound file goes into Bethesda Softworks\Pirates of the Caribbean\PROGRAM\sound

and the Brothel_004.wav sound file i think you know where to place already...

In any case i have removed the flies buzzing around etc., does not seem to the best sound to hear after you had a nice time with some lass, makes you think that something is rather *fishy* here... xD

Attachments

• brothel.rar
    178.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
The flies are in a brothel backroom. Looking at the code, it may have been intended to be an opium den, though it has not fully been set up as such and I have no intention of doing so. In any case, it's not the main hall or the bedroom. If you go poking around in other areas of the brothel where you have not been invited, it's your own fault if you find something unpleasant. :p

In all my visits to the various brothels, I never found the voices in the main hall to be a problem. It should be easy enough to make it choose randomly between "razg_001", "razg_002" and "razg_004" instead of playing the whole lot, though.

Another change I have made is to define one new character for each brothel, namely the mistress. There's code in "PROGRAM\LandEncounters\LEnc_monsters.c" to turn one of the randomly spawned inhabitants of the main room into a mistress but she still uses the same character model selection as the others, making it hard to find which one will take your money and send you to the bedroom. I tried adding code there to change mistress' model, which didn't work. Defining a specific character seems the only way to make her visibly different.

I have added 10 or so seconds of silence to Brothel_004, and a bit of fade, so it doesn't repeat right after, feels way better this way.

Might be good to do the same with other files as well.

If you go poking around in other areas of the brothel where you have not been invited, it's your own fault if you find something unpleasant. :p

:wp

In any case i have removed the flies buzzing around etc., does not seem to the best sound to hear after you had a nice time with some lass, makes you think that something is rather *fishy* here... xD
Could be the remains of too cheep customers attracting flies. ;)

In all my visits to the various brothels, I never found the voices in the main hall to be a problem. It should be easy enough to make it choose randomly between "razg_001", "razg_002" and "razg_004" instead of playing the whole lot, though.
Update: I tried that, the problem then being that it's blatantly obvious that one track is playing repeatedly. Since there's a choice of three files, I tried randomly choosing between pairs "razg_001"+"razg_002". "razg_002"+"razg_004" and "razg_004"+"razg_001". This is not as overwhelming as the whole lot playing and it's possible to hear the background music as well.

Try this.

Attachments

• sound.c
    47 KB · Views: 51
I still think, the brothel-tracks are more appropriate because of the female shrieks and laughter.

Still seems a bit much for my taste, but that's just me, @Grey Roger you can try my version with the edited Brothel_004...
I'm not too fond of the long silence. A short silence might be useful; if another file is played at the same time, it might sound less obvious that the same files are being played repeatedly when they get out of sync. But 10 seconds of silence is far too much!

"sound.c" checks if you're in "GB_Charleston_brothel1" and if so, sets up special sounds. That's for a specific location in the "Goldbug" storyline and I'm not touching that! But it gives me an idea - different sounds for different brothels. And so this version should have something for everyone, whether you like lots of background noise or no background noise. There have been no complaints about the voice background before, and presumably whoever set the sounds that way thought it was a good idea. So...

Nevis Pirate Settlement brothel has more people than others. Possibly because it's a tavern layout, it has more random women, plus some permanent characters, and there are also some men sitting at the tables. It's crowded and loud, so it gets the original sounds - all three "razg" files plus a random "Brothel" file, all played at full volume.

Charlestown brothel is the opposite. Putting an alias such as "brothel" rather than a filename such as "AMBIENT\BROTHEL\razg_001.wav" into 'PlayStereoSoundLooped' makes it quieter for some reason. So Charlestown uses two 'PlayStereoSoundLooped' commands with aliases which pick one random "razg" and one random "Brothel". If you hate the sound of other people then visit this place - they could do with the business because everyone else is at the 24 hour party in the other brothel across the island. xD

Everywhere else is somewhere in between - one random "razg" and one random "Brothel" file played at full volume.

Attachments

• sound.c
    47.7 KB · Views: 49
2. What about making a buyable map over New Granada like for the other islands, so one can travel directly to the right anchor place when close to land? When I first tried to find the anchor place in Cartagena, my sailing around cost me three days.
2: Not so easy, and probably not happening any time soon.
Forgot to ask: what is the difficulty with this? Making a map-illustration over the section of the coast with Cartagena and Dolphin Sands? Or enabling direct sail if a player owns that map? Or a third thing?

Probably all of the above. Drawing a map, figuring out how maps put town names in place, and figuring out how owning a map enables direct sail. The first just requires a lot more talent with Photoshop or other drawing programs than I have; the other two, I have no idea how they work. :shrug

Back