• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Is is possible to board the Flying Dutchman in the quest "Elizabeth Shaw's disappearance"?

Fluen

Freebooter
I read a post somewhere about, how the Flying Dutchman is near indestructable, but its cannons are very much not. So when I during "Elizabeth Swan's disappearance" met the ship near Cayman, I used my ships to shoot away at it. We succeded in cutting down the crew to about 6-7 people in a treacherous spirit, while the number of cannons stayed about 40-50.
But even when our hulls practically ground against each other, I didn't get the boarding icon. And the crew of the Flying Dutchman didn't surrender either.

Is the Flying Dutchman set to be un-boardable during "Elizabeth Swan's disapperance"?

Indeed, the Flying Dutchman is set to be unboardable and unable to surrender. At case "Contact_NoLuck" in "quests_side.c":
Code:
            characters[GetCharacterIndex("Davy Jones")].nosurrender = 2;
            Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Davy Jones")].recognized = true;
            Character_SetAbordageEnable(characterFromID("Davy Jones"), false);
In order, that makes him unable to surrender, automatically hostile to you, and impossible to board.

In case you're interested, the 'nosurrender' attribute can do three things. If it's 0 or not set, the character can surrender at any time. If it's 1, he can surrender after being boarded but not at sea. If it's 2, he can not surrender at all. The smuggler who tries to take Thomas O'Reily's cargo in "Smuggling for Thomas O'Reily" has 'nosurrender' set to 1 because he's been set to nation PRIVATEER_NATION. He used to be set as a pirate, but then you'd have to board him really quickly or the fort would sink him and you wouldn't get the cargo. PRIVATEER_NATION is a sort of fake nation which uses a Personal flag and can have its relations set up however the quest wants, but it also does silly things if the character surrenders while at sea. So he's allowed to surrender, but only after you board him and the silliness can't happen.

About surrendered ships: during sea battles I've noticed, that while everybody else leaves surrendered ships alone, pirates keep attacking them. I assume, surrendered ships are set to belong to a nation neutral to everybody. But pirates are set to be hostile to everybody, which is the reason for their continuous attacks. Is it possible to set the "surrendered nation" to be neutral to the pirate nation as well?

If you haven't noticed anyone else firing on surrendered ships then they must have found something else to attack instead. I've certainly seen other nations firing at ships formerly belonging to them which have surrendered. Surrendered ships are not in their original AI group any more and they're probably set to be friendly to you so that you don't fire at them when using auto-aim and you lose reputation if you fire at them manually. Pretend that the enemy would rather sink the ship than let it fall into your hands!

There's a more serious bug which we've never been able to fix, which is that if the flagship of a group surrenders, the rest of the group becomes neutral. The only workround is to save game, then immediately reload it, which returns all the non-surrendered hostile ships to their hostile state but also puts back any masts which had been shot away.

Back