• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Installation Issue

How's everyone doing nowadays?

• Better than the old days..

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I miss the old days..

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Definitely more contents and progress have been made.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ARRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DavyJack

Pirate Queen
Staff member
Storm Modder
Hi! It's been a while and I'm overwhelmed how left behind I am about the game and how things are now these days here in the forums.

Anyway, about my problem, I downloaded the latest installer and part 2 file for installation. I did it the old way where I put them together in the same file and just let the installer do its job. But I'm getting an error saying that I need the part 2 when its right there.

*Screenies included..

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    740 KB · Views: 298
  • Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    739.2 KB · Views: 307
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    733.7 KB · Views: 305
  • Untitled3.png
    Untitled3.png
    729.6 KB · Views: 309
What is the actual extension of the file?
It says 7-Zip archive, which suggests it is ".7z" but it should be ".tar".

I think it may be tar.7z. Don't you just love it how Windows hides file extensions? :rolleyes:

Make sure you have enough space on your hard disk and try unpacking the file with 7-Zip first (in the right click menu), @DavyJack. (Although, 7-Zip might unpack everything, including the TAR file... :confused:) If there is an option to unpack only the ZIP (7z), do that.

Last edited:
You should be able to tell what type a file is by right-clicking on it and then clicking "Properties" from the resulting menu.

The file should indeed be .tar, not .7z or .zip. But it may be that@DavyJack has set .tar files to open with 7-Zip by default, in which case they'll show up with the 7-Zip icon. I've just downloaded the file and my "b14_beta4_final.tar" is size 2,880,794 KB, the same size as is shown in the first screen shot.

Unpacking the archive file should not be necessary. People have run into trouble precisely by doing that! The installer ought to be able to unpack the file itself.

@DavyJack: Check to see whether the file is .tar, .7z or .zip. If it's anything other than .tar, rename it to "b14_beta4_final.tar". You'll probably get a warning about dire consequences from changing a file's type; do it anyway. Then see if the installer will accept it.

Unpacking the archive file should not be necessary. People have run into trouble precisely by doing that! The installer ought to be able to unpack the file itself.

My bad -- apologies... :oops:

Also, doesn't Windows NOT show what extension a file is in the Properties window? I think it only shows "file type", which it attributes to a program (7-Zip in this case, so it would say "7-Zip archive").

I think you need to enable showing file extensions system-wide to see what file it really is -- which is... complicated... :ninja

Gotta love that user obstruction layer... :rolleyes:

Edit:

Here's how to make your Windows not hide file extensions (for your relief and convenience): How to Force Windows Explorer to Always Show You the File Extensions

Last edited:
The file should indeed be .tar, not .7z or .zip. But it may be that@DavyJack has set .tar files to open with 7-Zip by default, in which case they'll show up with the 7-Zip icon. I've just downloaded the file and my "b14_beta4_final.tar" is size 2,880,794 KB, the same size as is shown in the first screen shot.
If there is something wrong with the filesize, then another failsafe in the Installer EXE gets triggered to tell you the archive may be corrupted.
But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

I think you need to enable showing file extensions system-wide to see what file it really is -- which is... complicated... :ninja

Gotta love that user obstruction layer... :rolleyes:
I think so too and indeed that's annoying. I saw that in Windows 10 they made that much simpler.
While I'm not excited to switch to any Windows version later than 7 any time soon, that does seem like a clever thing to improve. :yes

I saw that in Windows 10 they made that much simpler.
While I'm not excited to switch to any Windows version later than 7 any time soon, that does seem like a clever thing to improve. :yes

Yeah, but Windows 10 (unfortunately) comes with a myriad of other problems -- the main reason being that it's an operating system designed to sell apps, not to be useful for work (the same as Mac/iOS)... and then there are the driver issues because it is still fairly new...

I'm sticking with Win 7/8.1 for gaming for a (long) while, and with Debian (Linux) for work.

I've actually found Windows 8's tiles user interface (that most people hate) to be great as a PC Xbox. xD I can navigate through and launch all my games easily with the gamepad.

You should be able to tell what type a file is by right-clicking on it and then clicking "Properties" from the resulting menu.....Check to see whether the file is .tar, .7z or .zip. If it's anything other than .tar, rename it to "b14_beta4_final.tar". You'll probably get a warning about dire consequences from changing a file's type; do it anyway. Then see if the installer will accept it.
Yes, it is .7zip when I looked at properties. So, apparently just by renaming it on Windows 10, it won't do anything else but literally just "rename" it. xD Or there must be some other way to change the file type? Well, I just didn't bother to figure out how so I just re-downloaded the whole thing since it's quick on my end (it took less than a minute to download the whole archive) and this time I changed the name to "b14_beta4_final.tar" before I clicked the 'start download' then I got the warning you mentioned but in another way and so I insisted. Now it finally worked! Huzzah! :pflag Well, if I knew it in the first place that that would be an issue I would've renamed it in the first place. :) So now, my game is up and running!!! :guns::dance:keith:cheers

@Pieter Boelen and @Cerez , Thank you for the feedback as well. Is it mentioned anywhere that it should be .tar in order for the whole installation to work? It might help other people too. :)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    356.9 KB · Views: 282
  • Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    372.2 KB · Views: 281
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    364.4 KB · Views: 281
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    18.7 KB · Views: 308
You're welcome, bub. ^_^ Glad you got it to work. :yes

It's interesting that your web browser automatically drops the extension when you're saving the file. That's not what usually happens. But you're right, it wouldn't hurt to specifically mention that the file needs to be named exactly "b14_beta4_final.tar" for the installer to work.

Great work with the screenies for anyone else who may struggle with this in the future. :onya

Yeah, but Windows 10 (unfortunately) comes with a myriad of other problems -- the main reason being that it's an operating system designed to sell apps, not to be useful for work (the same as Mac/iOS)... and then there are the driver issues because it is still fairly new...
Yikes! Sounds like my aversion to upgrading has not been without reason then. :shock

Is it mentioned anywhere that it should be .tar in order for the whole installation to work?
The first attachment of your first post shows the actual error given.
It does mention the extension for the filename, but maybe not clearly enough.
If you have any suggestions for making this note obvious, I'm all ears.

I think so too and indeed that's annoying. I saw that in Windows 10 they made that much simpler.
When I open a folder, I get a screen like this:
folder_organize.jpg
Among the tabs near the top is that "Organize" one, which I've already picked before taking the screenshot. This leads to a menu "Folder Options", which in turn leads to a list of settings:
folder_options.jpg
And down among those settings is "Hide extensions for known file types".

This is Windows 7.

That's what I do too, @Grey Roger.
It's a fair bit of clicking, but I've gotten used to it...
Still, if people don't know about that option, it does complicate things.

It's easier than going to the "Start" menu and typing in "folder options". ;) Either way, you should only need to do it once.

It's easier than going to the "Start" menu and typing in "folder options". ;) Either way, you should only need to do it once.

Except that in Windows 8/8.1 it's under the View tab, a "File name extensions" checkbox. In each version of Windows it is something else. And they're doing this deliberately. I downright hate Microsoft for this...

:ship

At least the Start menu search method is more or less (well, somewhat) consistent.

If you have any suggestions for making this note obvious, I'm all ears.

"Main files archive is not present with the installer (in the same folder) or is not named 'b14_beta4_final.tar'."

For a future update of the installer/mod. ;)

Also, on the programming side, a check for "b14_beta4_final" as well as "b14_beta4_final.tar" may be a good idea. The installer should still be able to open the file even if it is missing the extension.

I stupidly tend to switch it back off after I'm done.
Maybe I shouldn't...

"Main files archive is not present with the installer (in the same folder) or is not named 'b14_beta4_final.tar'."

For a future update of the installer/mod. ;)
Thanks!

Also, on the programming side, a check for "b14_beta4_final" as well as "b14_beta4_final.tar" may be a good idea. The installer should still be able to
Was it not ".tar.7z" in this case?

Was it not ".tar.7z" in this case?

Nope. It was just plain old "b14_beta4_final", without an extension. This is rare, but I've seen it happen with certain web browsers on certain operating systems -- that the extension is not saved by default with the file.

7-Zip (based on Linux software technologies :p) is intelligent enough to recognise the file as a TAR archive even without the extension. ;)

For comparison here is my POTC installer folder from last year and today. Win 10 with "classic Shell". It looks like I had to rename it. Of course I do not remember any of it.
POTC installer folder.jpg POTC installer file extenxions.jpg

I've been running Windows 10 since its release with no trouble. Beats me what all the trepidation is about. :shrug
After over 30 years in the IT field, I appreciate things that just work without a lot of mucking around.

The installer will continue to look for a discrete file name. I know some folks like to rename files they download, but my mindreader's license expired a long time ago. I may have it pop up a browse box, depending on how much time I have.

Back