• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Indiana Jones (1981-current)

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator

Last edited:
Thanks I will check them out in a bit.

Also why in the first seconds of the video he says that they are only featured in half of the series?
They are in 2/3 of it! :rolleyes:

:rofl

Indy looked for a Christian artefact in film exactly once.
Ark was Hebrew.
Sankara Stones weren't European.
And don't even ask me what that Crystal Skull was.

If anything, I'd want to see Indy go after something from yet another culture.
Something *Muslim* would be WELL fascinating.
Risky, yes.
But fascinating.
Make it "Arabian Nights"-sourced if need be to make it a bit less politically volatile.

I do agree in this day and age, we could use some Jesus-like help.
But we've been waiting 2000 years and he hasn't shown yet.
I suspect that is because the second coming isn't going to be the same character coming down to fix all for us.
No, I suspect we're going to have to rise to His challenge and become all our own true Jesus.

The way I understood him, he questioned just about everything.
Rebelled like mad.
And put love, kindness and forgiveness above all else.

Who might be capable of doing those things?
Ah!
I know.
EVERYONE! :cheeky

Did you ever notice that in "Raiders of the Lost Ark", Indiana Jones may as well have stayed at home for all the good he did? He failed to prevent the Nazis from getting the Ark, and the only thing that put a stop to their shenanigans was the Ark's own defence system. And that would have happened anyway.

How did he survive clinging to the periscope of a U-boat after it dived?

Jesus said: I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me. We cannot become our own Jesus. Jesus was perfect and we could never hope to be in this world. I don’t know what your standing with Christianity is, but what you said is heretical.
Jesus was *human*.
Humans aren't perfect.
That's kind-of his whole point.
I remember his specific *human*-ness being mentioned quite regularly in Church.

The quote of his you state makes him sound like a horrific arrogant prick.
*Hardly* the thing I imagine a perfect being should be saying.
SUPER narcissistic, more like.

I do believe he had a great many good ideas and good intentions.
Definitely worth admiring and taking inspiration from.
But *not* following blindly.

Jesus was critical of his Jewish faith.
And if we have any wish of being more like Jesus, we should be critical of our own beliefs too.
Only through *that* part of him can we indeed get closer to the divine.
Closer to the divine part that I recall Christianity teaches resides within us all.

I could tell you my standing with Christianity, but I suspect it does not matter.
You have declared me a heretic.
Ergo you have already given yourself permission to dismiss any and all of my thoughts and my being without giving it a second's more thought.
Easy, isn't it?

Did you ever notice that in "Raiders of the Lost Ark", Indiana Jones may as well have stayed at home for all the good he did? He failed to prevent the Nazis from getting the Ark, and the only thing that put a stop to their shenanigans was the Ark's own defence system. And that would have happened anyway.
The classic "Big Bang Theory Criticism".
It is true that had Indy not been there, things still would've been fine.
But who could've anticipated that the Ark would have actually such an effective built-in self-defense mechanism?

Indy believed he was doing the right thing.
And so he stumbles and improvises himself through no end of setbacks.
He could quit any time. But he doesn't.
That shows a true strength of character.

Also, had Indy not been there, we'd have been deprived of one helluva awesome adventure to go along with!
And who would want that??
How did he survive clinging to the periscope of a U-boat after it dived?
Official explanation is that he tied himself to the periscope with his whip.
There's a deleted scene showing it; and it's mentioned in the original novelization.

Admittedly still a stretch of the credible.
But...
Better than no explanation at all...?

The classic "Big Bang Theory Criticism".
It is true that had Indy not been there, things still would've been fine.
But who could've anticipated that the Ark would have actually such an effective built-in self-defense mechanism?

Indy believed he was doing the right thing.
And so he stumbles and improvises himself through no end of setbacks.
He could quit any time. But he doesn't.
That shows a true strength of character.
To me, what it shows is sloppy plot writing. They could, for example, have had Indy learn some obscure ancient Hebrew phrase which triggered the self-defence. In that case, the Nazis would have won, except that Indy yells out the phrase.

Official explanation is that he tied himself to the periscope with his whip.
There's a deleted scene showing it; and it's mentioned in the original novelization.

Admittedly still a stretch of the credible.
But...
Better than no explanation at all...?
That explains how he stayed on the U-boat. It doesn't explain how he was able to breathe underwater for a few hours. We know his father's name is Henry; perhaps his grandfather's name is Davy. :D

To me, what it shows is sloppy plot writing. They could, for example, have had Indy learn some obscure ancient Hebrew phrase which triggered the self-defence. In that case, the Nazis would have won, except that Indy yells out the phrase.
I wonder if the reason they didn't do that was deliberate.
Because there is another deleted scenes that is REALLY similar to what you suggest.
The wise man who explains the meaning of the symbol on the medallion also tells Indy to NOT look at the open Ark.
THAT is how he knows to survive at the end.

What this suggests to me is that the Ark isn't a controllable weapon like a gun.
It is something beyond that simple understanding.
Beyond even some "simple" magic spell.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it.
But since the opportunity for what you say is SO close to what was filmed yet so subtly not that, it seems unlikely it was simple oversight by the writers.

That explains how he stayed on the U-boat. It doesn't explain how he was able to breathe underwater for a few hours. We know his father's name is Henry; perhaps his grandfather's name is Davy. :D
U-Boats didn't dive deep and not very long.
I assume he let himself be dragged behind the sub on the water's surface, using the length of the whip to keep him close to the air.
Still sounds like something no person would survive.
But there's only so far I can get. :rofl

I wonder if the reason they didn't do that was deliberate.
Because there is another deleted scenes that is REALLY similar to what you suggest.
The wise man who explains the meaning of the symbol on the medallion also tells Indy to NOT look at the open Ark.
THAT is how he knows to survive at the end.

What this suggests to me is that the Ark isn't a controllable weapon like a gun.
It is something beyond that simple understanding.
Beyond even some "simple" magic spell.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it.
But since the opportunity for what you say is SO close to what was filmed yet so subtly not that, it seems unlikely it was simple oversight by the writers.
That would mean that they deliberately wrote the story so that Indy's entire adventure was amusing but pointless - they intended for him to have no net effect on the outcome. (Or perhaps a negative effect. The Nazis were digging in the wrong place until Belloq spotted Indy's group digging nearby. Perhaps Belloq would have realised his mistake even if he hadn't spotted the other excavation, or perhaps the Nazis would have shot him - they weren't exactly patient, forgiving types!)

U-Boats didn't dive deep and not very long.
I assume he let himself be dragged behind the sub on the water's surface, using the length of the whip to keep him close to the air.
Still sounds like something no person would survive.
But there's only so far I can get. :rofl
True, U-boats didn't stay down for long, partly due to shortage of air and partly because a submerged submarine would be on battery power. In fact, it shouldn't have dived at all unless it was about to attack something or expected to be attacked, because another disadvantage was that it was a lot slower underwater than on the surface. But if it did dive, it would probably be much deeper than the length of Indy's whip, unless he had a whip about 100m long. And even with limited air and battery power, they could stay down for a few hours.

That would mean that they deliberately wrote the story so that Indy's entire adventure was amusing but pointless - they intended for him to have no net effect on the outcome. (Or perhaps a negative effect. The Nazis were digging in the wrong place until Belloq spotted Indy's group digging nearby. Perhaps Belloq would have realised his mistake even if he hadn't spotted the other excavation, or perhaps the Nazis would have shot him - they weren't exactly patient, forgiving types!)
The intention of the writers, I can only guess.
Having it be technically pointless, but unbeknownst to our hero, it does make it a more philosophically curious tale.
Clear case of "it is the journey that matters; not the destination".

True, U-boats didn't stay down for long, partly due to shortage of air and partly because a submerged submarine would be on battery power. In fact, it shouldn't have dived at all unless it was about to attack something or expected to be attacked, because another disadvantage was that it was a lot slower underwater than on the surface. But if it did dive, it would probably be much deeper than the length of Indy's whip, unless he had a whip about 100m long. And even with limited air and battery power, they could stay down for a few hours.
Did they go down a full 100m?
That's quite a bit. Quite the pressure down there.
But of course you'd kind-of have to; to get clear of all that pesky wave hydrodynamics.

So yep, ultimately...
Indiana Jones is no documentary.
Some suspension of disbelief definitely required.
Some things even outside the actual matter stretch credulity to breaking point.
Honestly, as much as I do like it, I cannot deny that

U-boats were capable of going down further than 200m. They were less concerned about waves and more concerned about depth charges.

Meanwhile, looking at that video Indiana Jones Steven Spielberg: Disagreement with George Lucas changed fourth movie shows that Spielberg is out, Disney is in - yes, they've taken over yet another franchise. One problem is that neither Indiana Jones nor Harrison Ford are getting any younger. At least, not without some trickery for Ford and a plot device for Jones:
PoTC also belongs to Disney so they're perfectly entitled to transfer a plot device from one franchise to another...

From-Nazis-to-the-Ark.jpg

From Nazis to the Ark: Five Surprising Truths from the Indiana Jones Films

I recently realized I have come to believe that Indiana Jones is no ordinary hero; but an ACTUAL *SUPER*hero!
More like Steve Rogers/Captain America than a "mere Rocketeer".

His power:
I reckon he can have 400 multi-day adventures within a single year; and STILL have time left to teach something to students in *and* outside classrooms.

*Without* him being an all-powerful all-knowing extra/inter-dimensional time-traveling being himself or something.

Somehow. :cheeky

Post also available at:

Attachments

• th-1612155762.jpg
    th-1612155762.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
U-boats were capable of going down further than 200m. They were less concerned about waves and more concerned about depth charges.
Except...
Fuel.

Underwater they'd use batteries and those didn't last very long before having to be topped up again by the diesel-generators (which cannot run underwater because air).
Plus, water resistance exceeds air resistance and therefore sailing on the surface is faster and costs less of a limited fuel supply.

All they might want to do is dive deep enough to not be bothered by them pesky waves.
Wavey ship motions are generally considered annoying.

Unless they know there be enemies around.
That's when you go deep and go silent.
But they couldn't exactly afford to do that ALL the time.

Nowadays perhaps yes; with nuclear subs.
Not with a diesel.

Meanwhile, looking at that video Indiana Jones Steven Spielberg: Disagreement with George Lucas changed fourth movie shows that Spielberg is out, Disney is in - yes, they've taken over yet another franchise.
That's not exactly news.
Disney bought Lucasfilm.
YEARS ago.
That deal didn't just include Star Wars, but also Indiana Jones and Willow.

So what?

One problem is that neither Indiana Jones nor Harrison Ford are getting any younger.
Not actually a problem.
Indiana Jones goes beyond Harrison Ford, no matter what anyone might claim.

At least, not without some trickery for Ford and a plot device for Jones:
Better than that horrid rumour of TIME TRAVEL!
Along with the EXCESSIVELY LIKELY & EXCEPTIONALLY cliche trope of "killing off the weary old hero".

PoTC also belongs to Disney so they're perfectly entitled to transfer a plot device from one franchise to another...
What's PotC got to do with it? That's irrelevant.
The Fountain of Youth is a common myth fully in the public domain.
ANYONE is entitled to use it, reuse it and use it yet again.

PotC took it from outside Disney in the first place.
"On Stranger Tides" was originally a novel by Tim Powers.
Spoiler alert 1: it contains MANY similarities to the 4th PotC movie of the same name (this is no coincidence).
Spoiler alert 2: Jack Sparrow isn't in it (this is no coincidence either).

"Disney" has used the Fountain of Youth already a long, long time before.
Carl Barks used it in a very classic Scrooge McDuck story.

Steven Spielberg is on record for confirming that Carl Barks' work was always one of the main inspirations for Raiders.
This is pretty apparent even from just the jungle temple opening scene alone, which copies not just 1 but two devices from another such Duck comic.

And for good reason.
Scrooge McDuck basically IS an Indiana Jones!
In some ways, he's BETTER than Indiana Jones.

Indiana Jones Steven Spielberg: Disagreement with George Lucas changed fourth movie
Interesting...
That first video embedded in the article talks about the personal importance to Spielberg and his wife Kate of a certain film he made.
This is a video in an article about Indiana Jones, but... the short video section fails to mention WHICH FILM Spielberg is talking about.

There are 2 plausible options, I think.
1. Indiana Jones of course (specifically the sequel Temple of Doom, as his wife "Kate" is mentioned, who Spielberg only met because she plays Willie Scott in that film)
2. Schindler's List

Honestly, I think he's talking about that second.
Surely it's not Saving Private Ryan?

The second video clip of "Harrison Ford talks about Indy 5" is particularly interesting too.
Not because Ford again reiterates that HE is Indy and NOBODY ELSE is...
But because the subtitle is "Raiders of the Lost BARK".

Why does it say "BARK"?
It's a fun wordplay; but WHY?
All I can think of is...
BARKs!
As in... CARL Barks.
As in... one of the officially confirmed influences for the existence of Indiana Jones as we know it.

And...
"James Mangold, best known as being the director of LOGAN"?
Except... I never saw that film. I don't give a shit about any "Logan".
For me, he's best known as being the director of (Harrison) Ford vs. (V.) Ferrari.

Attachments

• 12107909_1.jpg
    12107909_1.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 45

My immediate reaction upon seeing the title:
SAD tale?
Sad why?
Based on his one and only scene in Temple of Doom, I'd say it must be a BEAUTIFUL tale!

Just after clicking the link:
My god...
I merely read the opening paragraph of that article and HOOOOOLY HELL is it HIIIIILARIOUS!!!
That's some WELL - WRITTEN - SHIT!!!
:rofl :rofl :rofl

Upon finishing the whole thing:
Just finished the article.
From its very end:

“You’re with me until you get too old or die, at which point I will swap you out for a new henchman.”
That's a quote from something called "Let the Right One In"?

Really?
Sure sounds like bloody STARSHIP TROOPERS to me!

"Is this poster accurate?"

294758693_2229335367224708_8927798688532576259_n.jpg

Define: "accurate".
"Accurate" according to which standard?

But I'll say this much:
The film that that poster goes with looks like a film I do not want to see.
Too Back to the Future.
Too United States of America.

Code:
ERROR!
DOES NOT COMPUTE!

But I'll say one thing for it:
It IS well-designed.
Kudos to the artist!

If you'd like to start improving on it (according to MY standard), I'd suggest focusing first on the bottom of the main artwork.
(So ABOVE(^) "SUMMER 2003")
Work from the ground up; and maybe consider putting/adding/moving some blue else-/somewhere.

Also...
It looks a bit TOO real to be a true poster.
Needs to be more *paintey*.

Back