• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Improving the Options Menu

Cheers,

found out something different.
My map of the archipelago is gone.
The one from the M-key.
"You don't have a map of the archipelago" is told when I press M.
There still is that map in my inventory, and I can look at it from there, but there no position of my ship is shown.

May this be related to your changes somehow?Other possibility would be it comes from that file Baste gave us in that Fencing thread. That's the other one I recently used.

Wow Pieter, I had nearly come to terms to the fact years ago that these were there, that's awesome that it seems to be fixed :D

found out something different.
My map of the archipelago is gone.
[...]
May this be related to your changes somehow?Other possibility would be it comes from that file Baste gave us in that Fencing thread. That's the other one I recently used.
Oh, that is my doing alright. I had removed the Open Sea Mod code changes from the MAXIMUS_functions.c file I posted for compatibility's sake.
After all, not everybody might have that installed. I'll compile a FULL set of Post-Beta 2.3 files later today, which should put that back to normal. :yes

Wow Pieter, I had nearly come to terms to the fact years ago that these were there, that's awesome that it seems to be fixed :D
Same here. And since some of our previous bugfixing experts never got them sorted, I never bothered trying.
Good thing that now I decided to do so after all. Turns out it wasn't that difficult. Did both on one day, after all. :cheeky

Yep, you will need to start a new game. I've rewritten a bit too much. :wp

Aye, then I shall devide me plunder first. I'm closing to 1,000,000 and to 6 month and I'm very eager to see what it does to my leadership. :treasure:

Me too! Especially if you manage to get MORE than 100% skill increase. Because then you get only 1 skill point instead of more, so that'd have some slightly weird effects. :facepalm

File should be finished uploading in 30 minutes. You can see the feature list on the POTC Modding subforum already to see what you can expect. :cheeky

I had been thinking about updating the About Build menu some more. Perhaps change it to contain Tips & Tricks.
Anyone think that is a good idea? And if yes, GIVE US YOUR TIPS AND TRICKS!
What should players now about? What is worth trying and discovering and finding out?

I agree that Tips & Tricks would be very useful. In fact, I hardly found anything like that here in the forum at all. Of course one could ask and get an answer, and also there is the Wiki and the quest guides.
But nothing like a how-to-guide about general game features.

So Tips & Tricks I would greatly appreciate, and gladly contribute my part to it, but on the other hand I think the "about build" section is pretty usedul as it is. I like it that this isn't hidden in some readme file but direct in the mod itself. This makes it much more likely someone sees it and ready it.

Perhaps Tips & Tricks would better be added to the Wiki? That seems to be the logical place for it?

Actually, I was thinking the other way around: How many people ARE going read through that About Build text? :confused:

Errm ... well, I strongly guess most people won't read any texts that are placed in a game menu. Because their main goal when being there will be to start a game and not to read stuff. But for the same reason, they may overlook any tips & tricks that would be in the same place.
Lots of people won't read, but some old gaming veterans like me would anyway. When I started playing computer games, there were game manuals printed on paper (!) containing many pages and loads of useful information. I still do such things.
But I guess most younger players will want to start and intuitively find out how the game works.

True. But I'm thinking a button called "Tips & Tricks" would invite being clicked more than "About Build".
What is "About Build" would they be thinking. :facepalm

"about build" to most people is the builders stroking their egos and is to be avoided at all costs.

I agree with hylie, but I do want to thank pieter for making it possible to load up new games in the middle of a game, this saves me a lot of pesky game restarts.

"about build" to most people is the builders stroking their egos and is to be avoided at all costs.
Haha; that too! But that's what the Credits movie is for, eh? :rofl

Anyway, I reckon putting some useful Tips & Tricks could get people to look at the stuff there. At least some of them people.
But we need people to actually write some up. :wp

Well, where's the file that the tips and tricks would need to be written in?

RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\about_build.txt
^ That's where the whole "About Build" text is. The feature list there reads more like an advertisement and would make a better ModDB article than a useful ingame menu.
We can replace everything that is there and rename all the tabs with more interesting stuff.

Should we just put in a new tab that just lists tips and tricks for players?

I had been thinking of just renaming the whole interface to "Tips and Tricks", so that we can use the tabs to group several together by subject.
Otherwise it'd be a bit too much of a good thing on one page and therefore defeat the purpose. Again. :facepalm

Back