• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Improving the Options Menu

Talisman

Smuggler
Storm Modder
Is it possible to make the tick ( or x - i can't remember which) boxes on the various options in the Advanced Options menu larger.

Since I find it is not always clear which item is selected - I sometimes have trouble distinguishing them (but this just might be my crap eyesight).

Thanks

:drunk

I understand what you mean; they're not overly clear, are they? Maybe Armada could be convinced...?

How does this look?
ImprovedCheckboxes.png
I borrowed some higher-res boxes from icons.tga, because upscaling the existing ones didn't look very good. Looks a bit clearer, no?

While we're on this subject, can I just say I don't like the green headers for the Advanced Options. I'd much prefer them to use the same plain colour as the buttons and other text (not the yellow descriptions).
Perhaps the same could be said for the yellow descriptions as well, but I'm not sure.

Those tick boxes are much better :thumbs1.

As for the Text - I can see why there are different colours - to help to differentiate between Headers/Titles - General description - and Selection description. Where there is limited space and each group of text might otherwise appear to run into the others if there is little space between them.

Personally as long as the text is sufficiently seperated and is readable ( does not disappear into the background ) - then I don't think it matters if it is all the same colour. :shrug

:drunk

How does this look?
I borrowed some higher-res boxes from icons.tga, because upscaling the existing ones didn't look very good. Looks a bit clearer, no?
Not quite as fancy as the old ones, but a LOT clearer. So I'd say this is a good change. :onya

While we're on this subject, can I just say I don't like the green headers for the Advanced Options. I'd much prefer them to use the same plain colour as the buttons and other text (not the yellow descriptions).
Perhaps the same could be said for the yellow descriptions as well, but I'm not sure.
Indeed I'm not too fond of those bright colours either. I'll see if I can tone it down a bit.

OK, see attached for the improved tick-box texture. :doff

Attachments

• checkbox.tga.tx.7z
    5.4 KB · Views: 83
So... how is this then?
AdvancedOptions.jpg

I changed all the colours for normal, but did apply a bit of a reddish hue for the notes. Otherwise it's a bit too samey-samey.

While I'm at it, here's the similarly recoloured About Build interface:
AboutBuild.jpg

That one was also rather... bright.

Also updated Interface Settings:
InterfaceSettings.jpg

Shortened all texts to fit better on the new buttons and removed the "Additional" button because it didn't do anything anyway.
Also moved the "Dynamic Interfaces" buttons around, making full use of the new space to add a short description inbetween.
So hopefully people will now understand better what those two buttons DO. :cheeky

I *might* have some tremendously good news for the next modpack release. I found the culprit behind this long-standing annoyance of ours:
2. If I go into the options menu when in game, it won't let me resume my game. :modding
This is a confirmed problem which at the current time we can't fix. If we allow a game resume, it won't let you do anything and will be completely stuffed.
What we suggest you do is SAVE before opening the options so you don't lose your save game, then change the game settings after closing and reopening the game, and then load your save game again (NOTE: some settings require a new game).
In PROGRAM\INTERFACE\option_screen.c:
Code:
void IDoExit(int exitCode)
{
[...]
    ControlsMakeInvert();
    // Screwface
    /*
    string storyline = GetStoryline(CurrentStoryline);
    InitGlobalOptions(); // Screwface
    ref gopt; makeref(gopt, GlobalSettings);
    ReadMainOptions(&gopt);
    gopt.Storyline = CurrentStoryline;
    gopt.profile.(storyline) = StrLeft(CurrentProfile,Stringlen);
    gopt.profile.(storyline).len = stringlen;
    WriteMainOptions(gopt);
    if (isBSChanged) BS_Reinit(); // KK
    */

ClearEvents(); //////////////// <-- THIS MESSES THINGS UP!!! /////////////////
    ClearPostEvents(); //////////////// <-- THIS DOES TOO /////////////////
[...]
    }
}
Please extract attached to your PROGRAM\INTERFACE folder. Hopefully this will allow you to change options again in mid-game without any ill effects.
Let me know how this goes!

Edit: The other line messes things up too. File replaced with both lines outcommented.

Attachments

• option_screen.zip
    22 KB · Views: 78
Done and will test later.

When would be a good time to upgrade to the latest WIP version?

I'm liking the interface changes! :onya

That potential fix for the options bug sounds promising, too. I'll test that out later.

When would be a good time to upgrade to the latest WIP version?
Just wait until I've made the next version. I'm still doing too much changing right now.

Up next: Trying to figure out WHY we can't start a new game properly when another is already loaded. :facepalm

I just tested that new file twice, going into options and adjusting sounds, and it worked both times. :thumbs1

Eeeexcellent! The main thing I'm interested in is if there are any weird side-effects that might not readily be apparent.
But I checked the Build 13 code and those two lines weren't in there either. So we probably don't need them. Which would mean this is FINALLY put to rest! :whipa

And another massive improvement! I found the code that randomized character names when you start a new game after previously starting a new game.
Turns out it was some sort of translation code that we don't really need because we only make the modpack in English anyway.
I removed the code and now it appears to work as intended. Extract attached to your PROGRAM folder.

So that means that both the "New Game disabled" and "Resume after Options Menu disabled" problems should be a thing of the past now.
We do need testing to see if there are any additional side-effects though that we hadn't yet seen.

Attachments

• NewGameFix.zip
    55.7 KB · Views: 109
Cheers,

use both files.

Loaded game, F1, went into advanced options, resumed game, worked. Will play with that to see if any side effects occur.

Try this:
1. Start a new game, play around a bit
2. Start ANOTHER new game
3. Mess around with the options a bit
4. Continue play and see if you see anything weird.

Basically... just try to BREAK IT! :cheeky

Back