• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Improve Performance in 3D Sailing Mode

Select everything that applies to you

• -- WHERE DID YOU NOTICE ANY REDUCED PERFORMANCE? --

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • -- WHAT IS THE MOST RECENT MODPACK VERSION WITH THE BEST PERFORMANCE? --

• Build 14 Beta 3.1/3.2

• Total voters
@Hylie Pistof, just in case you find the lag in the Beta 3.5 WIP unbearable again, this should reset it.
Note that this isn't an actual fix; it just removes the code changes (and fixes) that we found to be the most probable cause of it.

Attachments

• b14_b3-5_NoLag.zip
    169.2 KB · Views: 369
Well, despite one of my two drives is SSD (I have POTC on second one so I'm not sure it works with the game anyway), I get horrible lags (and often CTDs) when 3D sailing on the time speeded up to 10x or 20x, 5x is a bit calmer.

I will keep that in mind. :onya

I have not tried the Mule yet, but at sea the Lyon Hoy in blue and gold is getting 60fps most of the time. Oddly enough it is even getting 60 fps at 10X speed! There seems to be a rhythmic pulse to the fps every 1/2 or 1/3 second that drops it slightly. Maybe this is the stuttering I see later in the game when the load gets heavy.
Beta 3 2015-03-06 11-42-31-75.jpg Beta 3 2015-03-06 11-44-28-42.jpg Beta 3 2015-03-06 11-51-20-29.jpg

I just checked this myself on my computer, but did not notice any terrible performance at all with the latest Beta 3.5 WIP.

Shipyard Interface is smooth as it can be; no complaints there.

And to ensure my 3D Sailing Mode test was difficult enough, I gave myself 4 ships at the start of the game and took on the Speighstown blockading squadron in the Standard storyline.
With some random Coast Raiders involved, that was at least 9, maybe 10 ships in the same battle.
It wasn't 100% amazing performance-wise, but certainly quite playable. So I don't see any particular issues.

Looking at the poll, it seems there is only one person who has performance issues with Beta 3.4 itself.
So as far as I can tell, there is no actual widespread problem. :confused:

As for performance issues when using time compression, I can imagine that happening.
The game needs to do the same amount of work in less time and weird things can happen then.
If 1x works well, I don't see a major concern there either.

Just to be clear here, the above test was done with ENB enabled on a, by now, several-years-old laptop.
Error logging was enabled too, which always hurts performance as well.

Maybe the new Hylie Pistof video card?
However, it's important to optimize the buildmod for people having old computers.

I played beta 3.5 last night and there is no stuttering at 1x speed like there was in 3.4. Yet. It is early in the game.

Methinks my problem is software related and may be caused by AMD dropping support for DX8. Pieter has no problems with older software and I had no problems until I upgraded. I wonder what video cards and driver versions Ansel and fjx are using?

what's the configuration of your computer? Have you got that for the naval battles?
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3400 Mhz, 2 Kerne(r), 4 Logisk(e) processor(er)
8 GB ram. GeForce GTX 760 OC-2GB GDDR5. SSD 500GB harddisk. Win.8.1 pro. 64 bit.
GeForce Game Ready Driver Ver.347.52. I always use the latest driver for my graphic card.
This is my spec. About naval battles: The Fps variates between c. 55-61 fps.I will make some more test.

Last edited:
Ok Ansel, you are using the latest nvidia drivers and getting 60 fps. Right now I am too when sailing the Hoy alone, but other ships, especially lots of big ones drops it down quite a bit.

@Hylie Pistof, do you play in fullscreen mode or not? I did all my tests in windowed mode.
Perhaps that makes a difference? Consider trying the other option and see if performance is any different.

I did try windowed mode last night and it is still awful.

I can say that so far 3.5 is NOT stuttering and lagging and is playing almost as good as 3.3 at sea. But then I am sailing one small low rez ship too.

So performance-wise, Beta 3.3 seems best and after that Beta 3.5. Beta 3.4 is the worst.
Did you try that "no lag" archive I posted? Now I'm curious if that would restore Beta 3.5 back to 3.3 performance.

No I did not as there is no need for it yet.

I now have 5 POTC installs, one of them broken, and do not want to confuse meself more by trying different things in different installs and then forgetting which has what in it.

Ok, I have had enough. I was sailing around with 2 ships. A fast merchantman and my Neptunus Sloop of War and performance was acceptable. Today I bought another fast merchantman and now the stuttering is showing up again. Apparently it is always there but if the fps stays fairly high it can't be seen. Now I am seeing it and no longer want to play this game anymore.

So. Is a new game required for that no lag patch in post #100 to work?

Back