• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ideas for Sweden

MouthyMidshipman

Landlubber
Hello everyone, I've had a burning question on my mind and I've finally gotten an account to ask. Is there any place in the map for a Swedish naval officer to receive a promotion? And if not, a few ideas had sprung to mind.

In the revolutionary era, Portugal no longer holds a port, but there is a Portuguese diplomat in the British office on Grenada for one to receive promotions from. Is it possible a diplomat could be added for Sweden someplace in the colonial powers era?

Another idea could be possibly adding the island of Gustavia in the east of the map, though I'm not sure if there would be any engine limitations to adding any more islands.
I might be missing something, but I'm not sure if this topic has ever been addressed. :read

There is soon the swedish colony (town) Kristiania but only in WoodesRogers 2 storyline.

A swedish diplomat though could be placed anywhere. Just another character with dialog.

In the revolutionary era, Portugal no longer holds a port, but there is a Portuguese diplomat in the British office on Grenada for one to receive promotions from. Is it possible a diplomat could be added for Sweden someplace in the colonial powers era?
Very possible.
Should only take a few lines of code.

Another idea could be possibly adding the island of Gustavia in the east of the map, though I'm not sure if there would be any engine limitations to adding any more islands.
No engine limitations; but practical limitations.
The only person who really knows how to update the worldmap is @Armada; and he's very busy with his standalone pirate game "Buccaneers!".
It's a lot of work to add a new island. And then it's even more work still to give it some use.

So the diplomat idea is much more feasible. :onya

The emissaries are all defined in "PROGRAM\Characters\init\CommonQuest.c", set not to be placed anywhere. Just clone any of them, give him an appropriate name and outfit, and set his nation to Sweden.

They are placed in function "InitTownNationalities()", which is in "PROGRAM\Periods.c". This has a switch based on period. The code for placing the Swedish emissary would go into the appropriate period cases and would also need to check the variable "SWEDEN_ALLOWED" - he should not show up if the player has chosen for Sweden not to appear!

Looking at "PROGRAM\Storyline\FreePlay\StartStoryline.c", in "Spanish Main" period, Sweden can be at war with Spain, Holland or France depending on the exact starting year chosen by the player, so don't put him in any of their towns. In "Golden Age of Piracy", Sweden can be at war with France or England. In "Colonial Powers", Sweden can be at war with England, Holland or Portugal. So the emissary is going to need to be in a different location depending on period. Perhaps put him in an English town in "Spanish Main", a Dutch townhall in "Golden Age of Piracy", and a French townhall in "Colonial Powers" - Sweden is at least neutral and sometimes allied to those nations in those periods. (Random relation changes during a FreePlay game may cause Sweden to become hostile to its host, but then the same is true of all emissaries!)

Looking at "PROGRAM\Storyline\FreePlay\StartStoryline.c", in "Spanish Main" period, Sweden can be at war with Spain, Holland or France depending on the exact starting year chosen by the player, so don't put him in any of their towns. In "Golden Age of Piracy", Sweden can be at war with France or England. In "Colonial Powers", Sweden can be at war with England, Holland or Portugal. So the emissary is going to need to be in a different location depending on period. Perhaps put him in an English town in "Spanish Main", a Dutch townhall in "Golden Age of Piracy", and a French townhall in "Colonial Powers" - Sweden is at least neutral and sometimes allied to those nations in those periods. (Random relation changes during a FreePlay game may cause Sweden to become hostile to its host, but then the same is true of all emissaries!)
Oof! Complicated.
Maybe stick him in the Nevis Pirate Settlement and be done with it?

The idea is to put him somewhere which is not hostile to Sweden. Pirates are hostile to Sweden at all times! :p

Anyway, it's not all that complicated. You might need to scout out a few townhalls with visible locators enabled to find places for the emissary to stand. Beyond that, you're looking for this in "Periods.c":
Code:
   switch(GetCurrentPeriod())
   {
       case PERIOD_EARLY_EXPLORERS:
           ChangeCharacterAddressGroup(characterFromID("English Emissary"), "Tortuga_Townhall",  "goto","goto2");
           ChangeCharacterAddressGroup(characterFromID("Dutch Emissary"),   "Tortuga_Townhall",  "Sit", "Sit1");
           ChangeCharacterAddressGroup(characterFromID("English Tailor"),   "Tortuga_tailorsShop", "goto","stay2");
           ChangeCharacterAddressGroup(characterFromID("Dutch Tailor"),     "Tortuga_tailorsShop", "goto","stay3");
You'll have to add a ' ChangeCharacterAddressGroup' line for the Swedish emissary in each of the cases for PERIOD_THE_SPANISH_MAIN, PERIOD_GOLDEN_AGE_OF_PIRACY and PERIOD_COLONIAL_POWERS anyway. Who says the destination has to be the same in all three? :D

Meet the new Swedish emissary:
swedish_emissary1.jpg

Most of the time, you'll find him in Marigot town hall. The name is taken from "PROGRAM\Characters\Characters_names.c", which includes several surnames beginning with "från". I'm guessing that's the Swedish equivalent to Dutch "van", French "de" and German "von", indicating a noble family. The first name also comes from "Characters_names.c", which didn't have anything similar to the one I wanted otherwise he'd have been Davros från Skaro. If you'd prefer a different name (or, for that matter, a different character model), please say so soon, otherwise Björn från Skara is going into the next update.

Looking at "PROGRAM\Storylines\FreePlay\StartStoryline.c", Sweden is allied to France most of the time, apart from a couple of occasions when Sweden is at war with France and allied to Holland. There's also one year in which Sweden is only neutral to France but allied to Holland. So when it's inappropriate for the emissary to be in a French residence, he goes to the other side of the island and stays in Philipsburg:
swedish_emissary2.jpg

Från means from. In Sweden it has not that I know been used by the nobility. Instead the word af (also meaning from) is used.
Björn with an ö is a nice touch though.

The main reason for Björn with an ö is that I found it in "Characters_names.c". Perhaps the file should be corrected to replace all "från" with "af"?

Looking at a Wikipedia list of Swedish noble families, it seems that "af" plus a place are appended to a family name when someone in the family earns a title. So Björn från Skara should probably become Björn <insert family name> af Skara. Or, if we want a genuine Swedish noble family name, perhaps Björn Roos af Hjelmsäter.

Back